Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Amateur

Default yes

I was still on 1.008 didn't realize there was a new version, I'll get it changed in a bit
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Champion

Ok, found your server and hit connect and it just sits there on the Din's Curse loading screen. Eventually it will pop up and say server could not be contacted, connection lost, etc..
Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Expert

actually i'm still running 1.007
Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Amateur

Default out of sync

Sounds like we are all out of Sync .. 1.007, 1.008 and 1.010

It should be good now, I am going to hop on and test it with 1.010
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Expert

When i try to enter the game on your server I always get the message that tells me congratulation! wait until the server has created a new town or something like that but nothing happens

i'm playing on the 1.010patch
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Amateur

Default Yes

Yes, and whenever I see that on the server, I click to continue the next town ...

and there in lies the problem...

If the town creation was automagic, then the server could run all the time with a place for people to connect to...

I have seen multiple players on at times, but I can't watch it personally 24/7 so I can't always be there to start the next town once it's been saved or lost.

Makes it had to have something always available.

So the hope is, that Steven can incorporate some type of "default" settings to allow the next town to be created. Maybe using the logged in players average level or maybe it increments the town by X levels each time ie: start at level 1, next town is level 5, next is level 9 etc... then restart at 1st once level 9 is reached or something like that. I can think of a few different ways it could be done.

Once this has been made available, then I can host multiple servers at different levels to always be available. But until then, only one server will be online since watching one is already a "hassle" of sorts.

Personally, I'd love to see something more along the lines of FSGS (it's like Battle.net, but was a 3rd party server hosting system for Diablo, Starcraft, Aoge of Empires, Red Alert and others).... anyway, it work just like battle.net of old, you logged in, dropped into a chat room, created a game and then others could login to your game etc and anyone could leave the game (even the creator) but those that were still in the game could keep on playing. The game only went away when all players exited.

I still host a couple of FSGS servers and still play Diablo and Starcraft on them with friends.... so it would be cool to have such a server for Din's Curse... though I would suspect just adding an "auto town creation" function might be a bit easier to do since a "battle.net" type service would be a daunting task, and the game would have had to have been designed from the ground up to work with something like that.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Expert

Oh right i didn't know the towns had to be started manually
Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Expert

Yep, got on fine, didn't really have time to play much but there was already someone on. it's definitely a good thing having a dedicated server that you know will be there, rather than just hoping that one will be up.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Champion

Hopefully Shadow can get something worked out for us on this. I have been on your server many times thus far and am enjoying it very much. I have seen several others enjoying it as well. Thanks again, ServerHost, for your efforts.

Everyone should come in and enjoy the server. You don't even have to be all that social, just come in and go play by yourself. Just being in the server with others will get you more EXP faster than playing by yourself.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Amateur

I'm not sure how well this would work, but here's an idea that's out there a little.

There is a log file created for all events. When the town is saved a message about a reward chest is logged. What if there was a script that listened to that log file. When the message was logged it could automatically click 'continue to next town', or whatever that is. Say put it on a timer for about 5 minutes or so. This would give people time to loot the chest and do a few last minute things.

I don't think there is one for when the town isn't saved though. I was looking through some of the log files on my PC and didn't see anything. I didn't look through all of them though and I'm not sure which towns I lost.

Again, I'm not sure how good of an idea this is, but I got it from using SoundSense for Dwarf Fortress. It plays music by listening to the events in the log file.