Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Expert

I was thinking something along the same lines, but I know next to nothing about coding and I'm not sure how easy that is to put in.

My one input to that is that maybe the chat could then give a system message warning everyone that there is however long before the next town is created. That way newbies who haven't really played on the server before aren't caught off guard, or irritated by the sudden change up.

I would say that even if this was implemented by the server host as a workaround, Shadow should consider it for the game in general. I know we don't have much in the way of a widespread community, but something like that might really help draw people in - they'll know that if they want to, they can set up a dedicated server, or that there is a possibility that there is already a multiplayer game going.

I'm also with the idea of, if the town is auto-generated in this fashion, taking the average levels of the players on at that time and creating a town at that level. As a precaution there should probably be a 'vote new town' option, too. This would be helpful if the highest member of the group drops out and the others are left with a town that they can't survive on, that the remaining players can re-generate a new town more to their level.

Ok, now I'll stop, because I kinda feel like I'm being pushy and going
"Hi! It's not my game but here's the definite way to success even though I've never once made a game, have no experience in this type of thing so I don't actually know it's the "definite way to success" and know a thimble full of code at best. I will offer no help at all, but you should do this because I say so, woohoo!"

XP
Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Amateur

Haha all these idea seem to be good ones. I was on yesterday and had fun playing with a few people while I was online. Kind of nice having the server up there just to hop in and play.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Amateur

@MasterMorality
Ideas are ideas. I wouldn't be to worried about being pushy. I'm sure Shadow appreciates it.

As for multilayer bringing in people; I told my friend about Din's Curse. His first question was if it was playable online. That's only one person and going off topic. So, I'll just leave it at that and not hijack the thread.

Maybe Shadow could just put in an option to auto generate on town saved. I really don't know, but let's hope for something. Maybe once something is figured out, more servers could be put up.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

I am planning on looking into some kind of auto start option.
Patreon
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Expert

Default Autostart Option

SHADOW you ROCK
a Autostart option will certainly make hosting a server a lot more beneficial.

I'd like to offer a few ideas, if i may that is

(POSSIBLE AUTO RESTART OPTIONS) for hosted server:
.]A Town restart option could be added to use current connected players average level's for next starting town[.

.]Town completion could possibly trigger the arrival of a "LEAVE TOWN" NPC to town with options for leaving/restarting town[.

.]GATE inactivity for (2+ hours) could be used to signal no active players and trigger town restarts etc.[.

.]Maybe a REWARD chest (like Shared bank but with item REMOVAL ONLY) where town completion items are given to players and not lost in town change/restart[.

DEDICATED server thoughts

if you are thinking and/or working on a dedicate server could you possibly think about server control via config files

with the ability to set ::examples::

Min/Max dungeon levels
Difficulty Modifiers
Re spawn Modifiers
Auto Restart on Idle

Keep up the Great work...
Tagg's
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Expert

Well, I started a hybrid to try out in MP, and discovered I needed to level him up a bit before going online, so my Weaponmaster/Paladin is coming along nicely. Can't wait til I get high enough level to use some of the sets and artifacts that I've found along the way with my Wizard

I should be joining the online community relatively soon with him.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Amateur

Any new news on this at all Shadow? Or maybe this is something that comes out with expansion or after expansion is finished?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire03 View Post
Any new news on this at all Shadow? Or maybe this is something that comes out with expansion or after expansion is finished?
The auto start type of option is on my list of things to look into, but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. If feasible, I'm hoping to get it in when the expansion comes out (time frame wise, the change itself will be in the base game).
Patreon
Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I got an autoStart option working. It will show up in version 1.011.

Here's the options:
autoStartServer - set this to 1 if you want auto start
autoStartServerUseMin - set to 1 if you want the auto level to be based on the lowest player's level
autoStartServerUseMax - set to 1 if you want the auto level to be based on the highest player's level
autoStartServerLevelChange - change this if you want to add or subtract from the level determined from the average, min, or max player levels

The level calculations ignore the hosting player because it assumes they aren't really playing.
Patreon
Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Champion

Great, thanks, Shadow!