Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Elite

Yeah, I understand what you're saying but am inclined to disagree with your opinion.

1) I have a lvl 65 rogue who has only one green item equipped. In nearly all cases yellow, orange or blue items tend to be better for me.

2) I agree that collecting item sets for the bonus stats is not worthwhile on a single character. But in a non-hardcore mode, you can keep all those set pieces on mule characters and deck out applicable characters in full sets. In this sense, sets can still be marginally useful.

3) I enjoy lots of loot drops. I find that when I'm playing meticulously and carefully comparing equipped items with drops, I enjoy much greater success than when I'm just feeling lazy and am running through a level without bothering to pick up much vendor trash. Less drops would be less fun in my opinion. Even though I know that 98% of what I pick up is going to be utter rubbish, I quite enjoy rummaging through my loot for that elusive find.

I guess if I were you I would start by applying the rare magic items mod (or a variant of it) and then on top of that, create a new items class for something like "super elite" items. Define how many and what kind of mods will appear on these weapons and take things from there.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruztee View Post
Yeah, I understand what you're saying but am inclined to disagree with your opinion.

3) I enjoy lots of loot drops. I find that when I'm playing meticulously and carefully comparing equipped items with drops, I enjoy much greater success than when I'm just feeling lazy and am running through a level without bothering to pick up much vendor trash. Less drops would be less fun in my opinion. Even though I know that 98% of what I pick up is going to be utter rubbish, I quite enjoy rummaging through my loot for that elusive find.

I guess if I were you I would start by applying the rare magic items mod (or a variant of it) and then on top of that, create a new items class for something like "super elite" items. Define how many and what kind of mods will appear on these weapons and take things from there.
Lots of general drops are ok, but the system as it is is just too "plain" , i'm saying it's just pointless to have some items defined "rare" and "very rare" when you can find one or more, every two minutes, almost dropped from any insignificant critter out there and often damn weak too. It just removes from the game the emotion to drop really rare and special stuff, when u see yellow u dont cheer ! That's what i mean !
And i dont think applying a mod would satisfy me, i think it's just a minor tweek that must be absolutely applied in the core game release, but, well, that's just me..
Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Champion

Yeah iŽve seen players use real crappy colored gear to the point where they hardly even do any damage and totally neglect the better and far more common items. It sais something about the huge amount of common and rare drops and although the Rare Magic Item Mod at
http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Mods.html
adress the frequency of it, it dosent solve that stat, resist and dps bonuses on set, artifact and legendary gear needs a big overhaul. As Kruztee poined out it gets somewhat better at higher levels. WoW and Diablo players that are new to this game might get fooled, but its nothing that hasnt already been said in earlier threads.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Expert

I like lots of shiny things in different colors. Even if they are crap.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetlano View Post
I see some minor aspect i would change though: like, for example the drop rate and quality of rare and very rare items.
I feel like they are dropping too mutch and their quality it's just average and very often it happens that i prefer to stick with green stuff.
I'd reduce the drop rate of those and make them stronger, more diversified, particular, and for example with some visual improvements like glowing , shadowing sparkling and so on, so when it happens you drop one, you really feel you got a beast of a item.
I've been experimenting with mods, and you might be interested in these. The first is a less drastic version of Shadow's Rare Magic Items mod, and the second is one based on code by GeorgiaBoy that puts additional random modifiers on elite and higher items. When used together, the idea is to reduce the number of higher quality drops, but make the high end drops that you do get better.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod_ItemRarity.zip (404 Bytes, 23 views)
File Type: zip mod_UniquesFix.zip (395 Bytes, 30 views)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
I've been experimenting with mods, and you might be interested in these. The first is a less drastic version of Shadow's Rare Magic Items mod, and the second is one based on code by GeorgiaBoy that puts additional random modifiers on elite and higher items. When used together, the idea is to reduce the number of higher quality drops, but make the high end drops that you do get better.
Very interesting. IŽll try both out right away.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Champion

What games had a good drop system? MMO don't qualify because people playing one put a lot more time that any player put in one single player game so you can't implement a MMO system in a single player game.

From other similar games I don't remember any having a better system. That includes, Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Fate, not sure for Sacred 1&2 because I didn't play them long enough.

If I check my current character, he has a dagger 20dps, it's an artifact he is using since 3 levels and I bet this character will use it some more time. Anyway I wonder what similar game picture a better system?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Amateur

Quote:
What ItemCommonRandomMagicModifier 1 exactly does ?
I noticed that the value is increased maximum to 5 for legendary in the mod.
Does this value represents the amount of magical stats one item can have ?
Example: ItemCommonRandomMagicModifier 1 just adds one bonus only ? (+ 5 dexterity) or (12% armor ) or something else ?
Can this modifier be more than 5 ?
There's a parameter like this that can be applied to damage range amount and armor range amount for different pool of items ?

ItemCommonChance 7.5 works like higher the value lower the chance to drop ?

Last edited by svetlano : 05-27-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Elite

I'm still learning modding, but I'll try to answer your questions.
Quote:
What ItemCommonRandomMagicModifier 1 exactly does ?
That would add one random modifier to a common item
Quote:
I noticed that the value is increased maximum to 5 for legendary in the mod.
Does this value represents the amount of magical stats one item can have ?
I believe it is the number of additional random modifiers plus the normal number of modifiers that legendary items get.
Quote:
Example: ItemCommonRandomMagicModifier 1 just adds one bonus only ? (+ 5 dexterity) or (12% armor ) or something else ?
Yes.
Quote:
Can this modifier be more than 5 ?
I believe so, but I don't know what the limit is.
Quote:
There's a parameter like this that can be applied to damage range amount and armor range amount for different pool of items ?
Probably. I don't know for sure, but many aspects of items can be modified. Post this in the mod section and someone will answer it.
Quote:
ItemCommonChance 7.5 works like higher the value lower the chance to drop ?
Since the Rare Magic Items mod cuts the normal values in half, I'd say lowering the chance lowers the drop rate.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Champion

Quote:
I must say, these mods bring new life to the game and overall the improved colored loot mods makes rarer drops much more interesting. The masses of drops in the original game quite frankly became boring. The only issue is ofc you will not make as much money selling off gear.
As a side note ive noticed that plate and weapons yields most cash, even if not magical. I find this a bit odd, but its the way the game is programmed.
As a possible alternative to Vilikis question; try these mods out, ya might like em.