Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Well the guys over on Steam finally got back to us. Unfortunately they told us they were going to pass on distributing DC on Steam.

So if you were waiting, I would suggest you buy the game directly from us, buy from one of the other portals that we are on (currently Impulse and Mac Game Store), or politely bug the Steam folks.
Totally unexpected.
How could we try to make'em change their minds ?
Only not trying the game deeply, could have led them to this ridicolous decision.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Amateur

it is up on gamersgate now btw
Old 08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Elite

To those who can't get it on Steam: give Gamersgate a try. I'm not a rabid fanboy of their services, at least not yet, but so far their support has been great, and I really like the blue coins system. I now have USD10 worth of blue coins, enough to get me a pretty decent game. Furthermore, you can actually back the games up on to physical media. I understand consolidation of digital distribution platforms may be an issue to many people, so it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Well the guys over on Steam finally got back to us. Unfortunately they told us they were going to pass on distributing DC on Steam.
Farewell Din's Curse only ticket to mainstream :< (and farewell thousands in profit)

Maybe you can re-request once the expansion is completed? They are probably resistant because torchlight is already on there, and torchlight looks seriously bling compared to Din's Curse.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
To those who can't get it on Steam: give Gamersgate a try. I'm not a rabid fanboy of their services, at least not yet, but so far their support has been great, and I really like the blue coins system. I now have USD10 worth of blue coins, enough to get me a pretty decent game. Furthermore, you can actually back the games up on to physical media. I understand consolidation of digital distribution platforms may be an issue to many people, so it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
agree with this. gamersgate is my favourite download shop, outside of just buying directly from devs anyway. I love that there is nothing that ties the downloaded install files from each game to the gamersgate site after you run the setup file once to get rid of the downloader encryption. got all my 400 or so games from gamersgate backed up locally on an external disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magitek View Post
Farewell Din's Curse only ticket to mainstream :< (and farewell thousands in profit) Maybe you can re-request once the expansion is completed? They are probably resistant because torchlight is already on there, and torchlight looks seriously bling compared to Din's Curse.
nah, I'm convinced it's because of the pricing. indie titles are lesser games to them and should be 10/15 dollars. it's definitely nothing to do with what kind of game it is and what it looks like. same reason you don't see any spiderweb software games on steam, even though those are some of the BEST rpgs on pc

Last edited by derailed : 08-20-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Champion

"one-sided conversation at the moment with Steam claiming there are too many games similar to ours on the service." - Starruler declined by steam.
Starruler is 5 dollars more than Din's Curse but actually gave their reason.

I'm thinking din's is in the same category here. If the price for Din's Curse was too much, steam would probably negotiate if they were interested. In the end, only Shadow knows. (maybe?)

Starruler (two-man made 4x) comes out in the next few days for anyone interested... on everything but the steam platform.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Elite

A few days? Nay my friend, it comes out today. Woohoo!

But I digress!

Last edited by udm : 08-21-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Champion

Here is what pisses me off about Steam doing this. Not too long back I purchased a game through them called Hazen . At the time it seemed like a cool episodic RPG that had some promise. So, it was on sale one day for like $4 or something and I picked it up. While downloading it I started reading the Steam forums for that game. I was shocked at what I read. Apparently the company went under, so there were going to be no more episodes. Also the game had so many bugs and flaws that the majority of the posts on the forum were asking if this had all been some bad joke.

So Steam definitely doesn't have this high level of standards for all its game. This is, however, the only bad thing I can say about Steam from using them for years now.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

I really don't know what their reasoning is. I know the little that they told me (which is close to the Starruler thing), but I really doubt that is the real (or full) story.

They never mentioned anything about price. If that was an issue I wish they would have at least mentioned it and gave us some kind of choice.
Patreon
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Elite

Also wanted to add, Soldak is working on 'the pretty.' Neither Steven or I are artists, though we love creatiing things. (Okay, I draw a bit, on paper! Doesn't really apply with understanding the digital stuff.) Hopefully we'll add more of an artist's input and perspective that will give the games an overall zing and pow that may be missing.

Even so, #1 is fun.