Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Champion

Default A fanīs criticizm

I think Dinīs Curse is an awesome game but i think it has a few flaws.
Having played this game a lot (1 lvl 90+, 1 lvl 70+, 2 lvl 50+ and tons of lesser levels) i feel confident enough to criticize its shortcomings. Most of this has already been mentioned in earlier forum threads, but i felt it would do good to highlight it again, especially since the game has been out for awhile and personally i felt i could make a better overall judgment about the game as a whole after being offline for awhile (watching the world championship soccer – Go Argentina).
As i see it, theres two main areas the game needs an improvement and i hope Soldak would implement it sooner rather then later (as in a patch vs. an expansion).

1. The high end content. This is a no brainer but the game seriously needs a boost in this area. The difference between playing the game at lvl 50 (or even at 20) vs. lvl 90 is almost exclusivly nil. Sure, you have a higher toon and higher level skills, some higher level drops but thats about it. I have read theres an end quest but that would make that quest alone unique in the game. The quests themselves are the same and the only difference i have noticed is a downgrade in drops (and vendors) of bags and a HUGE upgrade in the number of white colored drops (bombs, scrolls, keys etc.). Potions arent getting better beyond level 72 and could use a lot of tweaking. Also, the colored drops arenīt really much better then lower level ones which brings my up to point

2. Drops. This is a big one and theres 3 areas where the game could use an improvement.

2A. The number of drops. A lot of other games of this kind already has the same issue but Dinīs Curse ALMOST brings it to another level. The sheer amount of drops is so severe i stopped playing the game becuz of it alone and didnt take it up again until i saw someone realased a mod severly lessening the # of drops.

2B. Differences in ”better” loot. The reason i wrote it like ”better” is exactly because it aint. The more uncommon colored drops are (9 out of 10 times) actually worse then the more frequent ones (green, yellow) and set items follow the same pattern. Again, i found a mod that deals with this issue in a rather simple but good way; improving the number of bonuses as well as improving the prefixes with each stage of better colored loot.

2C. A scale balance on magical loot vs un-colored loot cash value. Plate is always worth more then non plate, and you can get a lot more cash selling off non colored plate (and 2h weapons) then colored non-plate. If the number of drops issue was more balanced (as in fewer drops), the scaling of cash value on items also would have to be made more steep to make up for it.

Ofc, i could just play with the mods and be happy with that. The problem is that since that since the mods severly downgrades the number of loot drops it also brings your echonomy to a big halt, to the point where its really hard playing without slowly (or fast depending on class) loose cash. Once in a while i have to remove the mods just to be able to bring some cash in, but this seems a bit extreme to make the game balanced.

All in all i still love the game and i hope Soldak will continue making their own games as they really found their own niché.

P.S. I found the 2 modded files here
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthr...?t=2393&page=2
D.S.

”I might not agree with your opinion but i will die fighting your right to have one”
Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffen69 View Post
2. Drops. This is a big one and theres 3 areas where the game could use an improvement.

2A. The number of drops. A lot of other games of this kind already has the same issue but Dinīs Curse ALMOST brings it to another level. The sheer amount of drops is so severe i stopped playing the game becuz of it alone and didnt take it up again until i saw someone realased a mod severly lessening the # of drops.

2B. Differences in ”better” loot. The reason i wrote it like ”better” is exactly because it aint. The more uncommon colored drops are (9 out of 10 times) actually worse then the more frequent ones (green, yellow) and set items follow the same pattern. Again, i found a mod that deals with this issue in a rather simple but good way; improving the number of bonuses as well as improving the prefixes with each stage of better colored loot.

2C. A scale balance on magical loot vs un-colored loot cash value. Plate is always worth more then non plate, and you can get a lot more cash selling off non colored plate (and 2h weapons) then colored non-plate. If the number of drops issue was more balanced (as in fewer drops), the scaling of cash value on items also would have to be made more steep to make up for it.

Ofc, i could just play with the mods and be happy with that. The problem is that since that since the mods severly downgrades the number of loot drops it also brings your echonomy to a big halt, to the point where its really hard playing without slowly (or fast depending on class) loose cash. Once in a while i have to remove the mods just to be able to bring some cash in, but this seems a bit extreme to make the game balanced.
How we are at the moment with the item issues ? Has this been fixed ?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Expert

Lightbulb High End Content & Drops

I've only played the demo... but I definitely would like to see fewer drops, but drops with more bonuses.

Also having more high end content is really important for keeping gamers playing and wanting more sequels. The high end content can be a large list of different features/content... such as:
1) Level_30+ = Player receives more space inside Towns Chest
2) Level_40+ = Random assassin hunts the player every ten player levels
3) Level_50+ = Player receives random magical bonus for one item
3) Level_60+ = Player can buy his own house in the town
4) Level_70+ = Player has statue in town built in his honor which creatures try to destory. {{Frozen NPC which doesn't talk with same name as player}}
Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Expert

Ok, i have not gone very far in game, only to mid 30's so far.. but i have to ask, how in world can a large amount drops keep you from playing game?

First you say that drops are not good, then you say that sheer # of drops makes you stop playing.. um,.. if majority of those drops are no good, then why not just ignore them?

I personally love how random the item drops are in this game. Most games claim to be random, however they really aren't that random because not only do level range of items tend to be within range of monsters killed, but also the stats on them only vary usually by a few points. So randomness isn't that great. In this game on other hand the amount of armor, or amount of % dmg increases, and all other item mods seem to swing more drastically, causing a larger wideness (if that's word) of randomness that stats can be. I believe that is cause of why a lot of yellow/orange items for example are sometimes worst then green items, because of how random stats are.

I would like it personally to remain that way. I have yet to see how loot is in end-game and if it needs tweaking so be it. But I'm not in favor of lessening the drops to have items dropped be more useful but limiting their randomness.

Money seems abundant in this game, especially when i only tend to pick up items that are relevant to me, i don't pic up weapons/armor i can't use even if it's orange normally, and i only pick up items of a certain color and higher, and yet even then i never run out of cash. So if your picking up everything you see.. your just wasting your time.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengrath View Post
Ok, i have not gone very far in game, only to mid 30's so far.. but i have to ask, how in world can a large amount drops keep you from playing game?

First you say that drops are not good, then you say that sheer # of drops makes you stop playing.. um,.. if majority of those drops are no good, then why not just ignore them?

I personally love how random the item drops are in this game. Most games claim to be random, however they really aren't that random because not only do level range of items tend to be within range of monsters killed, but also the stats on them only vary usually by a few points. So randomness isn't that great. In this game on other hand the amount of armor, or amount of % dmg increases, and all other item mods seem to swing more drastically, causing a larger wideness (if that's word) of randomness that stats can be. I believe that is cause of why a lot of yellow/orange items for example are sometimes worst then green items, because of how random stats are.

I would like it personally to remain that way. I have yet to see how loot is in end-game and if it needs tweaking so be it. But I'm not in favor of lessening the drops to have items dropped be more useful but limiting their randomness.

Money seems abundant in this game, especially when i only tend to pick up items that are relevant to me, i don't pic up weapons/armor i can't use even if it's orange normally, and i only pick up items of a certain color and higher, and yet even then i never run out of cash. So if your picking up everything you see.. your just wasting your time.
+1 to this ^

I personally LOVE the randomisation and don't see what the problem is. Don't want it? Then don't pick it up!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Champion

What if some of the better equipment out there did something like:

-100% item find chance
+250% magic find chance

Or something like that. It would decrease the number of drops but when they do fall they would more likely be of better quality.

Also, is there or could there be a way like in Titan Quest where holding down 'X' would only show yellow or better items, and a toggle for it, too?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

That would be a fairly simple mod to do that in general.
Patreon
Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Elite

I don't think the number of drops is the problem. I think the problem is the ease of selling off the huge amount of gear you don't want. You can spend a lot of time doing that.

I can think of some solutions for that, but I'm not sure how great they are. Maybe a button to sell everything in a bag? But that would interfere with the repurchase button for mistaken sales... I don't know.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadfan View Post
I don't think the number of drops is the problem. I think the problem is the ease of selling off the huge amount of gear you don't want. You can spend a lot of time doing that.
I'm one of those people who picks up everything, but I don't have a problem with the selling time. If you use the space bar to sell instead of dragging items, its pretty fast.