Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
For combat, are you planning something more static or with dynamic movements e.g. dogfighting?
I don't think it will be dogfighting. I'm not planning on aiming and dodging being much of the combat (kind of like DC).
Patreon
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Champion

An insurance system would work nicely. Apply for insurance at a station and you will respawn at that station. It sets your rez location when you apply for the insurance. It justifies some expense in the process. Of course Hardcore players are too high risk so the insurance companies can't justify offering them insurance.

As an alternative: Salvagers find your life pod and then return your ship to you (which is essentially repairable salvage at that point).
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Elite

Working on top of those ideas mentioned: when your ship blows up, you automatically escape in a life pod (which will never be destroyed since it is too small to be identified on radar by an enemy). Insurance is automatically calculated into the cost of the item - everytime your ship's destroyed, you will have to go to the nearest station with an insurance firm to reclaim a ship with fitting and loadout the same as the one that was destroyed. The catch is, the insurance company doesn't care about the state of repairs - it only provides you with the equipment and ship, which will be in a beaten up state, and it will fall on you to see to it that they are repaired.

In hardcore mode, you will need to manually eject from the life pod (when hull gets low?). If you don't, you permanently die. Also, instead of getting the ship handed to you on a platter, you will only receive premium in the form of cash, which is calculated based on the expected value of the loadout and fitting from your destroyed ship. This severely penalizes the value of very rare items, since their expected value will be many times less than their tangible benefits, and further discourages players from getting into a scuffle that they're not confident of winning.

Just an idea off the top of my head
Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Legend

Quote:
Working on top of those ideas mentioned: when your ship blows up, you automatically escape in a life pod (which will never be destroyed since it is too small to be identified on radar by an enemy). Insurance is automatically calculated into the cost of the item - everytime your ship's destroyed, you will have to go to the nearest station with an insurance firm to reclaim a ship with fitting and loadout the same as the one that was destroyed. The catch is, the insurance company doesn't care about the state of repairs - it only provides you with the equipment and ship, which will be in a beaten up state, and it will fall on you to see to it that they are repaired.

In hardcore mode, you will need to manually eject from the life pod (when hull gets low?). If you don't, you permanently die. Also, instead of getting the ship handed to you on a platter, you will only receive premium in the form of cash, which is calculated based on the expected value of the loadout and fitting from your destroyed ship. This severely penalizes the value of very rare items, since their expected value will be many times less than their tangible benefits, and further discourages players from getting into a scuffle that they're not confident of winning.

Just an idea off the top of my head
Wow! Awesome development of that idea!

I'll try to add a little. You could have escape pods of different qualities, the best one being very expensive. Your pod could never fail, but those of your crew could, in which case you'd lose them.

Also, in hardcore mode, you'd need to clear your explosion radius to survive, so it's not just about abandoning ship early -- it's about abandoning ship early enough to survive the following explosion. In regular mode, again, it's not a concern. Don't know about losing all your items in hardcore mode -- that seems a bit much
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Legend

BTW another issue that's going to pop up in the game design is that of money and trading. Trading is usually a big part of space games -- usually you can only get the best equipment by trading, and you make your money from trading commodities. In ARPGs such as DC and DoP, money isn't that much of an issue, and most of the best equipment is found by looting. This would make commodity trading unnecessary.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Elite

Mmm perhaps loot can come in the form of crafting items? These will be sold at stores of course, but to craft a Gauss Cannon, you'd need 100 units of iron and 200 units of titanium or whatever it is gauss cannons need. They still are sold in stores quite cheaply, but given enemies drop them in decent quantities, you'd have to be the judge on whether it's a good idea to buy them or not

Of course there are the rare items too, but those aren't dropped by any common white/green/yellow mob.

Oh that brings to mind another idea: crafting skills. Alongside combat skills, you can also learn crafting skills - hundreds of items to craft, depending on your specialization. This also offers players the chance to craft items for others in multiplayer. I've never been a fan of the "recipes" idea that disappear in a puff of smoke after you're done crafting; I prefer that once you learn something, it's there to stay. Or, it can be that you require both the skills and the blueprint, but the latter will disappear once you're done with it.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Legend

Quote:
Mmm perhaps loot can come in the form of crafting items? These will be sold at stores of course, but to craft a Gauss Cannon, you'd need 100 units of iron and 200 units of titanium or whatever it is gauss cannons need. They still are sold in stores quite cheaply, but given enemies drop them in decent quantities, you'd have to be the judge on whether it's a good idea to buy them or not

Of course there are the rare items too, but those aren't dropped by any common white/green/yellow mob.
Crafting items essentially means setting up resources other than money: titanium, iron, fuel etc. I actually think that's a pretty good idea. Killing mobs will give you resources, which you can then sell or build with. I think there needs to be a lure to trading though. Trading takes a lot of effort and is less satisfying than just blowing up stuff. You should be able to get more resources faster if you hunt down the best prices for your merchandise.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Elite

That's true. It's why I like Space Rangers 2's news system. Not only does it provide concise intel on what happens around you, it also lets you keep track of sudden price movements of goods.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Legend

Just a heads up that QuarterToThree has been doing write-ups on their front page about SPAZ and its mechanics. May be worth reading through since I still think it's the closest competition to Soldak's next game.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
BTW another issue that's going to pop up in the game design is that of money and trading. Trading is usually a big part of space games -- usually you can only get the best equipment by trading, and you make your money from trading commodities. In ARPGs such as DC and DoP, money isn't that much of an issue, and most of the best equipment is found by looting. This would make commodity trading unnecessary.
A lot may depend on how similar the design goals are to a Diablo-like. Steven's other games didn't stray too far from the familiar Diablo-like gameplay. We still don't know if this is going to be a Diablo-like in space or a traditional space-sim game influenced by Diablo-likes (if that makes any sense). I guess trade could be as simple as Fed-ex quests or as complex as X3, EVE, or SR2. I hope its complex, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were much lighter than those games. A lighter trade system might make the game seem more accessible, giving it a broader appeal. A lot of people don't like space games because of the perceived complexity of things like trade.

For crafting, anything better than Horadric Cube recipes would be great.

I've been playing the crap out of SPAZ lately. I'm definitely enjoying it. If anything, it has made me even more excited about the possibilities of Steven's new game. Pretty much everything about SPAZ could be improved by taking more influence from Diablo-likes and Din's Curse's dynamic quests and random environment properties.