Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
I have high hopes for Drox Operative as well. We've all worked very hard on the project and early indications are that it should be tremendous fun. I can hardly wait for the game to reach beta so I can hear other opinions on this game not to mention polishing the game based on your feedback.

...And, who knows, even Din's Curse may someday yet make it on Steam.
If Drox does well on the service, I bet Din's won't be far behind. I've seen them release the back catalogs of several successful indie devs in the past.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post
Despite the Steam naysayers, the best way to get Drox exposed to the widest audience is going to involve having a presence on their service. GoG, GamersGate, Gamestop/Impulse, and Green Man Gaming are all viable alternatives, but in the end Steam is the dominant player. Any fan of the game is going to want you to achieve success and continue to develop additional content, so having it on Steam is a win-win situation.

If you don't plan on using Steamworks, then it should be viable to have the game on Steam as well as other services such as those listed above. This way you can still have a broad reach (Steam), but you won't be alienating those who despise it or choose to only use alternatives. I'm sure I'm not stating anything new here though, you've been doing this for a long time now and understand the business side of things. I'm mainly stating this info for those who might be missing the larger picture.

I personally have most of my games with Steam (a service I personally value and enjoy), a few with the Humble Indie folks, a few from GoG, a few from GamersGate, etc. Any digital platform is fine for me.
I don't like Steam, but this man speaks true.

Nevertheless, I don't see why other developers don't want to just release their games on multiple DD platforms. It's not like it's going to cost them anything other than a bit of time to correspond with the distributors. Why people want to close their doors on those who don't want to give their money to Steam puzzles me. Of course if I badly want to play a game, I'll just gnash my teeth and buy it on Steam, but there are games where I'm indifferent towards, and if it's only on Steam, np I can live without it.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
Of course if I badly want to play a game, I'll just gnash my teeth and buy it on Steam, but there are games where I'm indifferent towards, and if it's only on Steam, np I can live without it.
This is sort of my stance on Steam, too. While I prefer to buy directly from the developers, like I've done with all Soldak games,
I've got no qualms about Steam and will buy from there if it's not available anywhere else.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

BTW, I doubt there are many indie companies that are not trying to get their game on Steam. Most of the time if a game isn't on Steam, it's because Steam rejected it.
Patreon
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Legend

Looking around the web, it seems that some devs got rejected the 1st time they tried to get on Steam, and did well the 2nd time they tried. Depending on what stage of DC you applied to Steam with, it might be worth a second shot. You could have just been unlucky. Also, the website was a lot more crude-looking back then, and that could have influenced their decision. You also have a lot more reviews now, plus the expansion, plus you can refer them to this Steam thread where users are asking for DC to be sold on Steam.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry we've learned the value of persistence over the years.
Patreon
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Also, the website was a lot more crude-looking back then, and that could have influenced their decision.
Why would they judge a game by the design of its developer's website? What if a developer doesn't even have a full-featured website for their game(s) ?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
Why would they judge a game by the design of its developer's website? What if a developer doesn't even have a full-featured website for their game(s) ?
It's on the submission form for Steam -- they request a demo build and the website address. And if they disqualify you they don't tell you why. It seems, however, that they tend to judge harshly those games that seem to have primitive graphics, especially if those games aren't well known. It makes some sense: I imagine virtually anyone building their 1st game tries to get them onto Steam, and they have to filter that out. It's possible that whoever reviewed DC first went to the site (which was not nearly as nice back then), was not impressed, then did a google search which may have not turned up much at the time, and with that perspective, judged the game mostly by its graphics, which certainly aren't very impressive.

What's curious is why they didn't see that DoP, which is also by Soldak, already passed the test. Perhaps the reviewer missed that detail.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
What's curious is why they didn't see that DoP, which is also by Soldak, already passed the test. Perhaps the reviewer missed that detail.
Perhaps they were not allowed to take that into account.