Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What class do you want for Din's Curse Expansion?
Monk 11 50.00%
Bard 3 13.64%
Demon Hunter 6 27.27%
Anything else...If you have another idea then give it. 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Legend

Default Din's Curse Expansion-New Class Poll

I decided to see what people would think of which class to choose from. I have it down to 4 choices with the last being anything you want. Here they are:

Monk, Bard, Demon Hunter, Other.

Also, I would like this thread to be for discussing why you chose what you did, and for what your idea behind the specific class is. That way we can use everyone's ideas to make the next class badass!!

Last edited by DeathKnight1728 : 05-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Champion

Monk, since it would be easier to implement in a single player setting. Although, showing my age, I always played a Bard in the Bard's Tale Trilogy...

GB

Last edited by GeorgiaBoy : 05-14-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Champion

I'm leaning towards Monk for this one, but I would certainly like to see Bards added in another expansion.

I think it'd be cool if Monks had cool melee fighting skills and were proficient with Knuckle weapons (which would need to be added) and with Staves (which are already in the game, but nobody is particularly skilled at fighting with them yet). Mastery skills could be added for both weapons. Knuckle skills could be focused more on punching moves with crushing blows and stuns and very fast attacks, and perhaps a nice Hadoken/Kamehameha type of ranged attack, too Some cool kicks and throws would be nifty, which could have some nice knockback effects. Being able to throw an annoying enemy clear across the room from you, and then follow up with a Hadoken and a flying kick would be fantastic Things like Dodge and Evade would go well with Monks, and the ability to Parry when wielding a staff would be spiffy, too.

For the more mystical monk powers, there could be spells of the Jedi mind-trick variety, and perhaps ofuda-flinging abilities that let them seal the abilities of monsters (stun) or ward them off (think in terms of an object you set on the floor that makes all enemies run away from it for so many seconds - valuable for protecting yourself or an NPC who's being swarmed), or cause holy damage.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Legend

I like the ideas so far. The monk seems to be the most wanted, although the bard has no votes yet. I think the bard would be my 2nd vote. It's just hard to pick them because it would be very hard to implement the songs, and the confusion/deception aspect of it, from my knowledge.

Aside from that, I think the monk would be even cooler if there was like a perfect self skill that cost like a lot of points to get. Once you get it you become one with your spirit and what not, kind of like the real monks but to a greater extent. This skill would raise resistance to magic damage and other defensive abilities. I dont know, just a thought.....

Their Wrist gauntlets....would own, and like TheRani said stunning blow and extreme quickness would be the monks main attributes. Maybe since spirit is going to be a highly needed ability for a monk as well, you could make it so that each point is like .1 better chance of stunning blow. It would definitely give the spirit attribute to a class other than the priest and druid. And stunning blow is actually more powerful.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Amateur

My vote is definitely for some kind of an evil character on the side of demons. I would like to see a demon class of some sort. As I stated in a previous thread I have no idea how to fit it in to the storyline, but Shadow said there are plans for some evil characters. There were no details, but I'm sure whatever it is will be kewl either way.

Although I don't exactly hate the idea of monks and bards...that's pretty cool in it's own way too. I would just like to see something a little different.

I love this game, to a hack n slash junkie like me it's like crack, lol.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Legend

Default Demon Hunter type class-How to make it work

The demon hunter was my 3rd pick. But though that may be true, it would be cool to brainstorm and see what would work with it. For one, it would fit in with the story that shadow said he would do. The only question is how.

-1)Martyr-The martyr class to a demon hunter should be focused on brutal fighting skills up close. This will be like the weaponmaster type class with a twist: He will dual wield (Any weapon!) and have auras. I know maybe it cant be done, but if it could, it would be awesome. Throw in a high parrying amount since that will be this chars defense and you have a pretty offensive char. To top it all off he will auras which make him sort of like a paladin.

-2) Hidden Slayer-This type of class will be defensive and at the same time offensive as well. Defensively, it will allow the character to camouflage itself with its surroundings in order to stay out of sight. While camouflaged, you can not be found no matter what. When the character moves he gets 3 seconds before he is found and to land an attack which will have increased damage and ability to stun. This character will sort of be like the hunter mixed with the trickster. The Hidden guardian will also have offensive capabilities too. He will be able to mark a creature and thus make him easier to damage and better chance to hit. With other mark type abilities. He will also have a few attacks as well, though they are faster than the martyr's and rely more on speed.

-3???

I'm stuck on the last one. I need some time to think. I will say though, i like where it's going.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Elite

I don't care as long as its weapon based. This is for two reasons.

1. Weapon classes in these games are better designed. They encourage the use of diverse sets of skills, while spellcasters are encouraged to use only one skill. A typical melee build in the "post your build" thread tends to have a around 10 or more skills, while a typical spellcaster has 2 or 4.

2. Weapon classes will be compatible with other classes in the hybrid system. Spellcasters have lower compatibility, and a class that uses a completely new attack form, like unarmed, will have minimal compatibility.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Champion

Weapon classes are nice because weapon slots have a big impact on their DPS. So it's not only pumping skills and stats, it's about finding that crazy weapon which makes it more challenging. I'd love to see a monk class added. Unarmed but can also use blunts (staves and maces). Leather armor, with a nice boost to defensive based on dexterity.

One of the trees could focus on some basic heals and buffs, mostly self-heals and buffs (because the priest classes do the group stuff) and other trees could be offensive / defensive in nature, with some spiritual stuff added as magic based skills. Lots of room to play with.

Last edited by Jorlen : 05-15-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Elite

I was going through the character classes in dungeon crawl stone soup, and what seems to differentiate a number of the character types there is specialization. Developing another full class or two would be great, but I was also wondering about adding single skill trees, unaffiliated with a particular character type, designed for hybrids, that add particular specializations, such as poison magic, transmutation, summoning, etc.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Legend

That might be a good idea. Plus you are right about the poison magic line. There is no tree for that on any mage. You could also add something like a swashbuckler, a fighter/thief hybrid that dual wields. And maybe even something else. So give us 3 subclass hybrids to choose from. Is that what you mean?