Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Elite

Default Master of Orion or Master of Magic

So GOG has MOO1+2 and Master of Magic on sale this weekend. I have heard that these are some of the best 4x games available, but I don't have time for both. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether MOO2 or MOM is better? One is a fantasy setting and one is in space, but I am more interested in gameplay than setting so this doesn't really matter.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Elite

I haven't been able to devote much time to MOM, but I've clocked a lot of hours into MOO2 over the years - I'm willing to place my money on more than 200 hours. Of course we're talking a decade and a half here. MOO2 is also easier on the eyes.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Elite

Thanks. I'll probably give MOO2 a shot then. Do you have any thoughts on Gal Civ 2 vs MOO2? Is Gal Civ 2 just a graphical update of the same basic concept, or is MOO markedly better?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Elite

No sorry lol. I bought Galciv 2 some years ago but the only one who's playing them is my younger brother. I simply didn't have the time then to play it due to being in the military service; now I do, but I've long since uninstalled it.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Champion

MoO2 is both massively overrated and fundamentally broken. If you like simplistic Civ-em-ups where the only challenge is how quickly you can win, go for it. Galciv2 is waaaaaaaay better, not least because it actually has AI, but they're not really similar and calling it a 'graphical update' of MoO is laughable.

MoM is a bit 'different' from your average Civ clone, but it has also aged very, very badly. Still better than Elemental, ho ho. More games need to use per-figure combat.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
MoO2 is both massively overrated and fundamentally broken. If you like simplistic Civ-em-ups where the only challenge is how quickly you can win, go for it. Galciv2 is waaaaaaaay better, not least because it actually has AI, but they're not really similar and calling it a 'graphical update' of MoO is laughable.

MoM is a bit 'different' from your average Civ clone, but it has also aged very, very badly. Still better than Elemental, ho ho. More games need to use per-figure combat.
I picked up MOO2 and have enjoyed it very much so far. You are right that it is simplistic, but I have found that to be a benefit since it is my first 4x game. I am also starting to see how Shadow has drawn design inspiration from it. After MOO2, I'll graduate to Gal Civ.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Expert

MOM until you learn the game breakers, is a far superior game.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Amateur

agree completely