Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Amateur

Angry This game angers me- mad at Soldak for not advertising

I think I have done 'games similar to diablo II' queries like every week for the last 5 years. Not once did this game's name ever come up. So, I play Spore 2 a bit and enjoyed it, but there was 0 replay. Spent hundreds going thru Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim, ect.- all had me bored to tears 30 hours in.

So, after having rebought torchlight for the 3rd time due to not writing down my key, I just happen to read a chance post mentioning the expansion.

So, to make a long story short- for me, this is the funnest game ever made- far beyond Diablo II- it's basically like a hard core oldschool MUD with what I think are nice graphics and a multi-class system that is just plain fun. No useless cut-scenes, just action. I can see myself playing this game for years -off and on, just wish there was a playerbase for multi-player.

My suggestion is to offer Demon War as the full game or make a Din's Gold edition for $29.99 and get it on Steam. If they refuse tell your fans and we'll put pressure on Steam to offer the game. Once people actually play this game, word of mouth would literally sell a million copies, especially if Diablo III looks as WoWish as it seems.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Elite

Thanks for the kind (and harsh) words. I think the "Gold" edition is a good idea and probably will happen someday soon. Getting on Steam has been a problem though. Hopefully they will add Din's Curse at some point. Glad you finally found the game and are enjoying it. I agree that the replay value is tremendous.

Hopefully you'll try Drox Operative when it comes out since, in many ways, it has the same type of gameplay as Din's Curse with a mix of Depths of Peril's best features as well.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Elite

Have you guys considered getting the game on GOG? A huge consumer base, probably only 2nd to Steam, with Gamersgate coming in 3rd.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
Have you guys considered getting the game on GOG? A huge consumer base, probably only 2nd to Steam, with Gamersgate coming in 3rd.
Really? I didn't know gog was that big.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
Yes, we have considering gog in the past. They have/had a couple of restrictions that are problematic for us (no keys and max price point of $9.99). The first one is the same problem on Apple's Mac App Store.
Patreon
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

To respond to the original poster, as an indie it's difficult to get to all of the gamers that might want to play our game. Real advertising is usually out of our price range and the gaming press doesn't usually gives you much attention unless your Minecraft.
Patreon
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Yes, we have considering gog in the past. They have/had a couple of restrictions that are problematic for us (no keys and max price point of $9.99). The first one is the same problem on Apple's Mac App Store.
What you might want to consider is model away from the model of a central server that you run, towards a model where individual people host servers. This is what Arcen does. AFAIK they only provide matchmaking between people via their central server ie. you advertise your game on the central server, and other people automatically query the central server to get your game details, IP and port.

They still have customer keys because they convert demos into fully working games on the fly, and the only way to do that is with keys. But since you don't take that approach, you could actually ditch the keys -- at least for games bought via gog or the App Store.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
What you might want to consider is model away from the model of a central server that you run, towards a model where individual people host servers. This is what Arcen does. AFAIK they only provide matchmaking between people via their central server ie. you advertise your game on the central server, and other people automatically query the central server to get your game details, IP and port.
We don't host the games either (just matchmaking), but I would prefer that a ton of pirates don't clog our server and either degrade the service or force us to buy more and more servers to service them.
Patreon
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
We don't host the games either (just matchmaking), but I would prefer that a ton of pirates don't clog our server and either degrade the service or force us to buy more and more servers to service them.
Oh I didn't realize that... for some reason I thought you were hosting the games. Well, for Apple at least you can integrate the Apple ID as the license key.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Oh I didn't realize that... for some reason I thought you were hosting the games. Well, for Apple at least you can integrate the Apple ID as the license key.
I don't know of anything I can grab on the Mac that I can verify on the central server side of things. What do you mean by Apple ID?
Patreon