Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Amateur

Default Why am I so underpowered compared to other races

I mean, whenever I am fighting ships from one of the races I am
seriously in trouble and deal minimal damage and take huge damage even if i have the best weapons available in the sector?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post
I mean, whenever I am fighting ships from one of the races I am
seriously in trouble and deal minimal damage and take huge damage even if i have the best weapons available in the sector?
It kinda sucks. Once you get access to bombs it gets a bit better because you can nuke from orbit, but only when enemy ships are distracted. The point, I think, is to make it hard/impossible for the player to wipe out enemies on his/her own, but honestly it's kind of artificial and means some games take forever because the AI are so slow at taking out opposition.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Elite

I think this issue would be alleviated if you could at least somewhat coordinate strikes with allies. As it stands, I have to sometimes wait around for ever until a world is ripe for plucking. If two factions are basically even, you really don't have much hope of influencing the outcome. Better to just go straight for a non-military win (which is not really a bad thing, now that you have options).
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Expert

Debuffs are critical for leveling the playing field with faction ships. Viruses, EMP - basically anything that lowers attack and defense is a necessity. Damage amps like berserkers and furies also tip the scales in your favor, so make sure you have an offensive loadout before you go raiding another planet. It's also worth mentioning that once all of the ships protecting a planet are gone, the planet takes normal damage from your attacks, which brings them down rather quickly.

The other win conditions at the moment are a bit unbalanced IMO (good news is Shadow's aware of this): if you were to get double or triple the rewards for each action there'd be a fighting chance, but as it stands Legend is impossible and Fear requires a metric ton of grinding faction ships in heavily colonized sectors to accomplish. Doesn't help that quests tend to dry up once you take care of fleets/named monsters.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Champion

The problem is that defense and attack as stats for *your* ship are nigh unto pointless while they all but never miss and never get hit. It's about as close to shooting blanks in a bomb war as it comes. Yes, bombs...because attack and defense don't matter then. But it doesn't seem to apply to anything but faction ships. I can have a 95% hit rate to everything else, but only a 30% hit rate on their regular defenders.

It should be noted that their "regular" defenders are many levels higher than you can possible achieve. Ex: Level 35 and maybe you're a mid-sized (4/5/5) frigate or so and they're flying around Titans and Flagships which you have even less than a snowball's chance in hell of *ever* standing up to.

I think some of these things need to be addressed going forward. They should be subject to the same limits and limitations as the player is. Their ships need to be "built" from the same stat pool that my ship is. Meaning that I shouldn't be seeing Flagships or Titans till the upper 90s and those ships are going to be completely reliant on crew and CP-Components in order to equip *anything* at all.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Champion

Ok, I realize that we are in 'it's a video game' territory, but explain to me how one mercenary ship is taking on planets and galactic navys in the first place? And the first time you take out a planet, wouldn't most governments take a step back and think, "hmm, that mercenary we hired to rescue that one freighter last month? He just single handedly took out 4-5 capital ships and carpet bombed Planet X out of existence. We should probably have him assassinated."
You SHOULDN'T be able take on the race ships. They should DESTROY you.
Coordinated strikes with allies or being able to attach an ally's fleet like a pack of fighters would be more logical. Heck, maybe you could get temporary command of a big old race ship for that final 'war' stage of a
sector.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Amateur

Hi, first poster here.
Read the response from RoboAV and couldnt pass on responding to it myself

Mercenaries hundreds of years ago were ragtag bands that were badly equipped, badly trained and had low survival rates.

According to fiction mercenaries have changed since then.

Their pay is higher because what they do can be considered unethical, as such orders you couldnt pass off to the regular military (like say causing a radiation leak on a planet of another faction) can easily be given to mercenaries if the pay is right.
Because their income is higher, they have more money to spend on equipment and more money to spend on training not to mention that the morale tends to be higher because they arent drafted or joined the military voluntary while being underpaid.
Add on top of this that these arent just normal mercenaries, they are Drox Operatives.
They survived a faction that tried to kill them all (their own founders of all things).

The above explains why Drox Operatives (and mercenaries) should be able to take on planets and galactic navies.

You also asked
Quote:
the first time you take out a planet, wouldn't most governments take a step back and think, "hmm, that mercenary we hired to rescue that one freighter last month? He just single handedly took out 4-5 capital ships and carpet bombed Planet X out of existence. We should probably have him assassinated."
While an assassination attempt isnt farfetched (they might want revenge, they might consider you a threat, they might just think you are annoying) they would do their utmost best to make sure it doesnt trace back to them.
Right now you're sometimes their enemy and sometimes their ally, the moment they turn against you openly you'd be their enemy all the time.

Besides there's another reason they wouldnt turn against you, if one of them turns against you you'd just hide in friendly space at another faction.
If that faction would turn against you aswell you'd hide at yet another faction, and that goes on till the last faction
The last faction wouldn't have any reason to turn against you because its not like any of their opponents is willing to hire you to attack them.

A mercenary group that works for you exclusively? that is a luxury not even the faction you caused the most harm against would turn down.

Race ships are filled with underpaid crew who generally received minimal training and are considered expendable.
The equipment on race ships isnt going to be top of the line designs, top of the line designs cost money, lots of money, governments dont like spending money.
Drox Operative ships will have top of the line designs, lots of training, and crew enjoying their high wages.

If i had to put one ship of each against eachother i know who i'd be betting on (and it isnt the race ship).

The only advantage race ships should have is that there are more of them, a lot more.

That's just my 2c (and probably a lot of your time reading that walltext, sorry about that).

Now, i dont know if Soldak Entertainment sees it the same way, their definition of what Drox Operatives are might differ (though if i'll be honest i hope it doesn't).
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 AM
Amateur

RoboAV, I think you actually make a really good point.

I have 3 ships currently, none of them above lvl15 I think, so I don't really know how much things change in later levels IF they change at all. But I too sometimes wished I could take on race planet, or at least their ships. Once, I managed to destroy one planet with missiles shooting just out of defender ships' range but just because that was back when defenders were stationary and I managed to attack the planet behind their backs.

So my idea is this - every, say, 5 levels Drox high command will send you a special type of Siege/Ship killer equipment. This equipment or weapon, if you will, would require a free slot like any other (preferably heavy), but would have use of 5 charges. So once those charges are gone, the weapon is gone for good. This weapon would have long range, great speed and high damage and probably some special buffs/de-buffs to spice the things up a bit. The purpose of this weapon however would NOT be to wage full-fledged war on every race in the sector - it would not even be a one-shot-one-kill weapon. It would be used to bring down certain crucial targets or targets of opportunity, so you could destroy, say, two planets or two flagships at max with one weapon.

I do not know if this was suggested before, I do not frequent the forums so much so I apologize if it was. From my point of view I think this COULD be a good addition to the game, but well, some people may find this idea just silly.
I know we already have doomsday weapons after all, even though I only encountered two thus far (and they were both the same).

So, um, yeah, I like the way you put it, RoboAV.