Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Legend

Default Improvements to Diplomacy

Since diplomacy is one of the strengths of Soldak games, I was thinking of a couple of improvements that could be made.

* Civ 6's latest expansion apparently integrated a notion called 'diplomatic favor'. This is a currency that's gained in certain ways. For example, it's gained over time with alliances (1 diplomatic favor every X turns). It's also gained by doing favors for other civs. And I think it would be a great fit for Soldak games.

Rather than using money to get factions to go to war or to come help you out against a faction, you could use diplomatic favor. I think this is especially important given how money can just accumulate between worlds, whereas diplomatic favor is a faction-specific currency that only builds up in the current world. Doing quests for a faction would give you diplomatic favor, but only once you've reached a certain threshold of relationship. It would make it important to invest in relationship with a faction, because you can't just pay them off to do something -- they have to trust you and believe in you, and that's represented by diplomatic favor.

* Currently, there's not that much of a downside to building relationships with factions. What if factions occasionally gave you one of their quests as a request? They'd expect you to fulfill that quest before it fails, and would be disappointed if you messed up, eating up some of your diplomatic favor currency with them (if you have any) and worsening your relations somewhat. The stronger your relationship with them, the more often they'd give you these mandatory quests to carry out. This would make it difficult to maintain alliance with more than one faction at a time. Rather than just doing things at random and then seeing if you've accomplished anyone's quest, you'd have to target the things your allies want first, and balance that out with your own critical quests.

Last edited by Bluddy : 03-05-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently I should play the latest Civ expansion.

We did something kind of similar back in DoP with influence/crystals. Not quite the same as diplomatic favor, but unlike money they didn't carry over from game to game.
Patreon
Old 03-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Legend

I actually haven't played it -- just heard about it in a podcast Civ lost its appeal for me when it adopted one unit per tile, which the AI can't handle.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the crystals. I don't know that I ever fully figured them out.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Legend

Also I guess the difference is that unlike crystals, diplomatic favor isn't transferable between factions you deal with (ie. not one-to-many). It's kinda like the relationship value in that sense (one-to-one), except that it doesn't make sense to drop the relationship value when asking for a favor. There's a notion of 'this person has done things for me and deserves my thanks so we're even' outside of 'how much I like this person', and that's what this value tracks.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Legend

Hmm... my bad, it looks like diplomatic favor is one-to-many after all in Civ 6. They made it so you'd use it in the united nations to pressure countries to do stuff. To me that doesn't actually make much sense though -- if I have an alliance with X, why should I be able to use that diplomatic favor on Y? It really is analogous to just pure influence in the case of Civ.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Now that you mention it, I do remember the crystals. I don't know that I ever fully figured them out.
And that's why I dropped that particular implementation. It was too complex. A simplified influence or diplomatic favor could still be interesting though.
Patreon