Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,413
Default Skills

I'm working on classes and skills right now and probably will be for the next couple days. Right now I'm trying to decide which skills that we have in Depths of Peril and Kivi's Underworld that I should carry over to the new game. What do you think? What are your favorite skills in our previous games?
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, Din's Legacy, & Drox Operative 2
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Qwerytykeys Qwerytykeys is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Any polymorphing abilities? Those are always fun, but with the hybrid system I would understand you would not want them to step on the toes of other classes.

Also do passive skills count as part of the 10 skills/line?

Speaking about passive skills I always find them to be boring as paste, and always get them after I get all the active skills. One thing I liked about Titan Quest is that they had passive skills that were fun and were more than just add x% to damage.

You could have multiple things they do for example. Like having a Mage skill "mastery of elements" deal x% more damage for elemental spells, lights a enemy on fire for for damage over time if it is fire element, has a chance to stun enemies if it is lighting, and slows enemies down if it is an ice spell.

Also how about adding a unique skill/spell for each hybrid combination? This would give the player more reason to try out each combination as well as help with balancing.

For instance, Fighter/Priest could get some thing called "smite", a passive in which a small % of weapon damage is converted to group healing. Mage/Rogue could get a ability where they could disarm traps from long range "using magic". Fighter/Mages could get a ability that would allow them to cast the next spell instantly every X seconds. Mage/Priests could get a passive in which the more they inflict with one classes's spells the better they are with the other (for instance, if I spend the boss fight healing my Fighter friend, than the boss summons a monster I could launch a fireball at it and do great damage, because I was healing previously).

Edit: Also what about having each world you complete you get special skillpoints to buy special unique skills from a pool?

Last edited by Qwerytykeys : 09-24-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Any polymorphing abilities? Those are always fun, but with the hybrid system I would understand you would not want them to step on the toes of other classes.
Well right this second we don't have any, but that might change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Also do passive skills count as part of the 10 skills/line? Speaking about passive skills I always find them to be boring as paste, and always get them after I get all the active skills.
They do count as part of the 10. Some classes/specialties have very few passive skills though. I do plan on spicing up the passive skills where possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Also how about adding a unique skill/spell for each hybrid combination? This would give the player more reason to try out each combination as well as help with balancing.

For instance, Fighter/Priest could get some thing called "smite", a passive in which a small % of weapon damage is converted to group healing. Mage/Rogue could get a ability where they could disarm traps from long range "using magic". Fighter/Mages could get a ability that would allow them to cast the next spell instantly every X seconds. Mage/Priests could get a passive in which the more they inflict with one classes's spells the better they are with the other (for instance, if I spend the boss fight healing my Fighter friend, than the boss summons a monster I could launch a fireball at it and do great damage, because I was healing previously).

Edit: Also what about having each world you complete you get special skillpoints to buy special unique skills from a pool?
These are interesting ideas. I'll have to think about it. If it is specialty combinations, that would mean 141 new skills though (class combinations would only be 15 new skills).
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, Din's Legacy, & Drox Operative 2
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Delilah Rehm's Avatar
Delilah Rehm Delilah Rehm is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 734
Default

Polymorphing would be cool, just to see it. It reminds me of one of the classes that raises little minions (because it's cool). Are we going to have a minion raising skill, Shadow? (Is it sad or what that I don't know?! I need to start play testing the game soon...)
__________________
Delilah Rehm
Writer for Soldak
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,413
Default

I am currently planning a summoning type class.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, Din's Legacy, & Drox Operative 2
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Qwerytykeys Qwerytykeys is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I am currently planning a summoning type class.
Ohh nice, polymorphing might go well with that class.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Cadfan Cadfan is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 307
Default

The stealth skills. Though make sure that if you use a stealth skill like the ninja's, you add a bit more documentation. I always want to invest in that one because it sounds really cool, but since you can't know exactly how far the monster's detection radius began, and you can't precisely see what's happened as you added points to the skill, its hard to know if you've accomplished anything.

But both the scout and the ninja's stealth skills were neat ideas, though in a different sort of game the scout might need rebalanced so it doesn't just stroll through the level without fighting anything at all.

Try to create a ranged attack that functions with instead of against your melee attacks. In most games this feels very either/or, like you should focus on only ranged or only melee, even when your character can technically do both. There are two weays to make these work together instead of apart, at least as far as I can think up:

1. Make each attack work better on some monsters than others, and make it obvious to the player which is which.

2. Make the ranged attacks primarily debuff targets while melee does damage. Then players will want to combine them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
redman5427 redman5427 is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Default

And don't forget my periennial favorite class: The monk! Hand to hand damage
Deadly Kicks- Flying martial arts type ranged weapons
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Any polymorphing abilities? Those are always fun, but with the hybrid system I would understand you would not want them to step on the toes of other classes.
There are now 2 shapechanging/polymorphing skills in the game.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, Din's Legacy, & Drox Operative 2
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Qwerytykeys Qwerytykeys is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
There are now 2 shapechanging/polymorphing skills in the game.
Great! Care to give a hint what they are?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.