Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Legend

Default ParentMonsterType

Shadow, this is a minor question, but what is ParentMonsterType in MonsterTypes.gdb used for by the game? It's only used by the Amorphs. Actually I'm not sure what ChildMonsterType is used for either.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

ParentMonsterType is used to tell the system that when a quest calls for something like a Tiny Amorph it really should spawn the parent (full sized Amorph).

ChildMonsterType tells the system that if I'm spawning something like Orcs in this level that it is also ok to spawn it's children (like an Orc Totem).
Patreon
Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Legend

Cool. I thought maybe ParentMonsterType for tiny amorphs was mistakenly not the small amorphs, and maybe this would allow amorphs to be kidnappers and such again... but now I get why it is the way it is.

While we're on the topic of amorphs, there isn't any way to make a delay before a dead amorph spawns 2 new ones, is there? I've found that amorphs are some of the most unenjoyable foes because of their split skill, and when I see a whole bunch of them I just know they're going to bog me down significantly. That's not entirely a bad things -- it's ok when foes are formidable, but I feel the amorph is borderline annoying, because he's almost not worth fighting since you'll just get more foes to attack you. It's great to have his skill in the game, I just want to make him less of a pain to fight.

What I was thinking would really help would be to give some time before the smaller amorphs are formed. You could picture it as the mud slowly forming into the new monster. I couldn't find any way to slow down the spawn process, so my other idea has been to add an Enhancement to small and tiny amorphs that lasts only 5 seconds or so. It would either freeze them and use 'AbsorbAllDamage' for that duration (a 'cocoon' stage) or it would slow them down (a 'formation' stage). This would give the player the option of running away before the little amorphs are active.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I can't think of a way to delay the death skill. I believe your other ideas could work though.
Patreon