Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Champion

Default Ability to add stories?

I think the stories are hold overs from Depths of Peril, but just in case:

Is there anyway to integrate Weapon descriptions and histories via the TextFile property, something like what I see in the Database/world.gdb files?

I've been trying to figure out if I could make a "book" item that, when clicked on, will print out a story about something.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

It is probably all still working (code wise), but in DoP it would open a special text menu to display text like that. DC probably doesn't have that menu defined.
Patreon
Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Champion

I mimicked the TextFile property that I found on one of the other items in the game, created a text file for that object, reloaded a new character with the object loaded onto the character.

Good news and bad news. Good news is that when I opened up the console and watched everything, I couldn't find any error about a "bad TextFile property."

The bad news is there is no error about missing UI. I figured I could find the name of the missing UI and just build it myself

No matter. Since it's not obvious how to implement the story UI, I'm going to take a stab at adding my own NPC to the game who has no other purpose than to tell stories.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I believe it wants to open a menu called Story. In DoP at least the important widget in the Story menu looked like this:

Code:
Text
{
	position 10.0 10.0
	size 486.0 310.0
	scrollBarOffset 482.0 5.0
	scrollBarSize 16.0 310.0
	textSource TextFile
	keyboardControl 1
	internalName Story
	drawOrder 5.0
}
Patreon
Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Champion

I must still be missing something, or perhaps there are default properties I still don't know about setting anytime I make a widget. If you want to take a look at this in the context of how I'm trying it with Din's Curse, I've attached the files I was working with in mod format.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Drop into assets folder.
  • Make a new character that is a warrior.
  • Warrior starts with unidentified Blood Reaver Axe (identifier AxeUnique3).
  • Walk over to a *smith or vendor and identify the item.

Maybe I'm not sure about what I should be looking for, but when I mouse over an item, there's nothing obvious in the tooltip that points to the item having a story attached to it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip StoryTest.zip (1.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

I finally had a chance to look at this. There a couple things you are probably missing. There is a parm in systems.gdb called DisplayHistory that needs to be set to 1. You also need to add a small widget to game.mnu (preferably through mergeWith) that looks like this:

Code:
Widget
{
	hotKey H
	addCommand "showHistory"
}
As long as you have the story.mnu with that main text type widget and items with the TextFile entry then I think things will work. BTW, I think that a bunch of the items still have TextFile entries that don't point to anything valid right now.
Patreon
Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Champion

That is very cool. Your guidance is appreciated. After a few more additions, I got the histories working. YAY!

I'm at a stage now where I can continue debugging as I have the spare time. You are right that a lot of items have histories defined but there are no stories. I only tested with an item that had a story, not one that didn't. Maybe the game will randomly generate a history?

The only odd thing is that this menu seems to do some sort of additive painting/blitting.

The file attached is for testing purposes only -- Pardon the bold, but don't use this mod for anything other than testing otherwise it will screw up any new warrior class you make for the time that you are using this mod. (It shouldn't do any damage to previously existing warriors, my pre-made warriors were fine while this mod was in effect.)

The purpose of the warrior modification is to load with an item to which I have added a test story.

That said, should you ever wish to look at this in the future, drop this mod in and hit the 'h' hotkey multiple times. The additive nature of the menu paints is obvious after three presses of the 'h' key.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stories_and_histories_TEST_ONLY.zip (2.5 KB, 8 views)
Holiday Items, fun for at least 17.6 seconds: http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3095