Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Amateur

A minor issue, but I thought I'd post it. The screenshot tells the tale:

Screenshot

Last edited by Nomad_Soul : 02-16-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I think its kind of funny that while townspeople are killing each other, tornadoes are destroying everything and monsters are slaughtering people, Din just stands there. Just for once it'd be funny if din ripped some townsman's head off and then returned to his spot. When they asked why, he simply states: "Because im din, thats why."
A way to explain it is that Din is not really there. His avatar is there as a symbol, just to communicate with you, but it's not like he's really standing there all the time. His altar is what's really there. And though you can see his avatar since you were sent by him, nobody else can.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Amateur

Observation - not sure if this is intended or not or just luck ...

Last world or so I have used the "large world" modifier, the required quests have not reached near the bottom of the dungeon. In fact I don't think I had any quests requiring going past like level 9 of the dungeon. The current dungeon has 18 levels when I get to like 15 or so the monsters are like +6 levels greater than when I started (level 54 - was starting monster level as well) - and +5 from my current level. I therefore started getting my ass handed to me; had not noticed this on the previous dungeons large or otherwise, but I think 18 was the largest dungeon I have ever wandered into. Not sure if not using the entire dungeon for required quests was intended (or just luck) and not sure if the monster level spread into the deepest portion of the dungeon was intended.

Last edited by tacitus : 02-17-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
Observation - not sure if this is intended or not or just luck ...

Last world or so I have used the "large world" modifier, the required quests have not reached near the bottom of the dungeon. In fact I don't think I had any quests requiring going past like level 9 of the dungeon. The current dungeon has 18 levels when I get to like 15 or so the monsters are like +6 levels greater than when I started (level 54 - was starting monster level as well) - and +5 from my current level. I therefore started getting my ass handed to me; had not noticed this on the previous dungeons large or otherwise, but I think 18 was the largest dungeon I have ever wandered into. Not sure if not using the entire dungeon for required quests was intended (or just luck) and not sure if the monster level spread into the deepest portion of the dungeon was intended.
The spread of quests is random. As I reported in another thread about my priest, I received required quests on the 12th level (town plague and curse). It seems like the starting quests for the town try to use the upper levels, though.

The increase of monster level is intended. The deeper you go, the higher the level of the monsters. This simulates both the trepidation of venturing deep into the dungeon, while also increasing the challenge as your character levels up in the top levels.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Amateur

Thanks Roswitha, though you're suggesting what amounts to a work-around to a new quest. It's what a user has to do now when they get the teleport stone mission while they already have one. Isn't just isn't too clear to me, and for a new feature/mission, I'm suggesting to the developer that either have it be made more clear in some way, or my preference, figure out a way to put a number on the teleport stone UI so one can accumulate them. Doesn't seem terribly game breaking to add that, vs adding a quest that uniquely has to be held and not handed in until the previous teleport stone is used. Just saying...

Separate thing, I've been playing a necro/healer and noticed that in builds 1.019 and 1.020, the Raise Dead pet wouldn't heal itself at healthstones in the dungeon, but WOULD do so at Din's alter (like the other pets). In build 1.021, this seems to be resolved. I just want to confirm that this is a fix and not an intermittent issue, since I couldn't find a reference to it in the update notes. Would hate to have it go back to broken. Created the */healer partly to resolve this (and to keep the lowbie skeletons clanking around since they're quite fragile and really seem to appreciate (as much as undead can) the frequent heals I'm providing).

Oh, and third thing, another nitpick. Should failed quests have the same "declined" button interface? It was confusing to me when I first started the game, and still irks me a bit, that when I select a mission in the Quest list that has status "(failed)", that there is a DECLINE button. Shouldn't for that mission, it instead be CLEAR or DELETE or something else? And then NOT have a confirmation, since there is little reason to NOT remove the failed mission, and a careful user could always select the OK button instead of the "CLEAR/DELETE" if they feel they must hold onto it in their limited space for quests. And yes, since things like this irks me, I team up with undead... : )

-K
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
And then NOT have a confirmation, since there is little reason to NOT remove the failed mission, and a careful user could always select the OK button instead of the "CLEAR/DELETE" if they feel they must hold onto it in their limited space for quests.

-K
I tend to leave one failed quest in my list, at least until I win the town. The harp-glissando audio cue of loading a town with a failed but unremoved quest lets me veg out while the game loads my character and still hit pause as soon as the game clock starts running.* Character load time seems to increase nonlinearly with log length.

*Towns that have been won pause automatically on load, of course.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Amateur

See, that's an example of why beta testing needs a reasonable sampling of people, since they always do different things. My suggestion isn't to auto-remove them, and I hope Shadow recognizes this. I just would like the UI clarified so the user knows when they're 'clearing' them.

I have only gotten characters up to the low-40s and haven't yet seen such a slowdown for loading characters. So either it's hardware differences or my relative lowbie hasn't built up a log large enough to slow things down.

My habit for this is to finish a town when I exit the character, where possible, so I get that pleasant "You've succeeded" type message when I re-visit the character. Beats dropping into a deserted town and has a full queue of completed but un-hand-in-able quests since the quest givers have been torn apart by tornadoes. : ( Not that I'm complaining about the horrible horrible tornado feature.

-K
Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Champion

Quote:
Separate thing, I've been playing a necro/healer and noticed that in builds 1.019 and 1.020, the Raise Dead pet wouldn't heal itself at healthstones in the dungeon, but WOULD do so at Din's alter (like the other pets). In build 1.021, this seems to be resolved. I just want to confirm that this is a fix and not an intermittent issue, since I couldn't find a reference to it in the update notes. Would hate to have it go back to broken. Created the */healer partly to resolve this (and to keep the lowbie skeletons clanking around since they're quite fragile and really seem to appreciate (as much as undead can) the frequent heals I'm providing).
-K
If I understand your question correctly your Raise Dead pets should heal at Din's altar and should only heal at healthstones IF they are a type of creature that would use healthstones prior to being killed and raised.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Amateur

Eh, that gives me a headache.

I knew I saw it for at least two different raised elite and champion pets (probably more, but it was more than a week ago), but I'm not familiar with which pre-pet monsters use the healthstones. I can guess that the undead and undead skinned regular guys would not.

But, yeah, unless i could figure out which critter I made into a pet, I wouldn't be able to re-check it now. I was a bit more concerned that the fix appeared more recently, when I saw it mentioned several builds back and was waiting for it, so to speak. Probably necromancer user error. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Champion

Quote:
Eh, that gives me a headache.

I knew I saw it for at least two different raised elite and champion pets (probably more, but it was more than a week ago), but I'm not familiar with which pre-pet monsters use the healthstones. I can guess that the undead and undead skinned regular guys would not.

But, yeah, unless i could figure out which critter I made into a pet, I wouldn't be able to re-check it now. I was a bit more concerned that the fix appeared more recently, when I saw it mentioned several builds back and was waiting for it, so to speak. Probably necromancer user error. Thanks.
Some that I can think of right off the top of my head are The Nagas, and Hulks. I believe that Saurians and Frenzys might be able to also. Maybe more.