Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2016, 04:56 AM
Amateur

Default Multiplayer crashing when player drops out

We've been playing multiplayer for a while now, and for the most part it seems very stable. However, it seems like whenever a player drops out (from crashing, save/quitting, etc), the host eventually gets a game crash.

I can't find a more reliable way of the host crashing than a player leaving, and while it doesn't happen immediately, it happens semi-shortly after. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it does seem like multiplayer crashes a decent amount, and super commonly sometime after someone leaves.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce this.
Patreon
Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Amateur

Is there any way I can help the process? If there's logs, crash data, etc, I can try to reproduce the problem and post them here. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

The best way to help is to figure out the simplest way to reproduce the problem.
Patreon
Old 05-16-2016, 06:16 AM
Amateur

Default More on the Crashes

I was in that multliplayer game with Vegeto079 and with MindDefect and 2 other family members. We just started playing this as a group about 10 days ago.

One of us would often get kicked out of the game via their game crashing (ie: my brother who is presently in China playing online). His game crashes then all of the players games crash seconds later until the player running the server (usually Vegeto079 who is on the West Coast) hosts to hopefully compensate for my brother's poor ping and connection problem in China (ie: all the rest of the family is in the Great Lakes area). When the game crashes Vegeto079 and my brother in China restart Zombasite and Vegeto079 puts the server back up and we all easily join back in.

To add to things, Vegeto079 sometimes puts a server up and it cannot be seen to join it. I doesn't happen often but Vegeto079 might be able to offer more info on this?

A key issue we are also having is with my brother's characters he plays with at his location in China. When he does get disconnected on two occasions this disconnection has caused his player character file to get corrupted and ruined. He then cannot use that character in any form of gameplay. It is a sad thing when we play for hours and his 'level 12' can nolonger be used ingame.

I hope this info helps?

Last edited by Blues Dancer : 05-16-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Amateur

Related to this. When I stumbled upon a bug that made my entire clan go insane, I tried to alt+f4 instead of save/quit to see if I could undo the damage. It crashed the server immediately (my brother was sitting next to me, and no character got corrupted). Maybe this can be used to reproduce this server crash on dc issue?
Old 05-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Amateur

Default Going Insane

Just on our last get together my brother (the one playing with us in China) had his whole clan go insane too. He said one of his members went insane then it transferred to the rest of the clan. I don't know if it was from one of his clan members getting infected or not? We are still just learning the gameplay and the events that unfold from it.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Elite

I do not think is a bug, but a feature.

What happens is that you have a number of people who are losing their grip on their sanity, but nothing too bad - they are hanging in there, as long as things appear to be under control. But then, something bad happens - you lose a clan member, or you kick one out, or someone turns into a zombie, or even maybe even goes crazy.

And then, the gates of Hell open. The wife of the person who died on an expedition flips out, and attacks her neighbor. Someone sees that and is pushed over the edge by the violence. A crazy guy murders someone else, all his friends realize that life in the clan is not all that safe, and lose happiness and sanity, and there is no stopping the avalanche, as people start cursing, poisoning and finally killing each other.

To prevent such chain reactions, you are better off making sure that no one is too high on the insanity scale, and do something about those that are: keep them away from what they fear, let them rest, make sure that problems are taken care of early, etc...

Having half your clan at insanity 70 is no big deal if nothing ever goes wrong... but then some raiders curse the town, and all of a sudden you are starring disaster in the face.