Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Amateur

Two small things i noticed today:

Map Markers
If i recall correctly the yellow quest marker in Din's Curse would depend on the location of the quest:

- "^" if the quest was on a higher floor.
- "v" if the quest was on a lower floor.
- "*" if the quest was on the same floor.

In Din's Legacy there are currently two over-world dungeon types i am aware of: Towers and Dungeons. Towers naturally go upwards, whereas dungeons go downwards. If a quest is located in a tower quest the marker will always use the "v" sign though. This kind of confused me into looking for a dungeon instead of climbing the tower to its fourth floor as the marker kept pointing down (Suggesting i had to go down instead of up). Really minor but potentially confusing.

Skill randomization on character creation
I assume the second thing is likely a feature but just in case: When creating a new character the characters skills seem to be selected randomly based on the map. For example: Creating a SpellSword on the "Bronzepond" map i have saved always results in:

- 4x Defense Bonus.
- 4x Mana Regen Bonus.
- 2x Mana Bonus.
- A total of 5 out of the 10 skills a spellsword can have.

Considering the game's mutation premise, i suspect that this is intentional? (I am not complaining - 4x Soul Harvest is a great start for a devastating blow build and / or a mana heavy character, as is 4x Health Bonus for most melee builds).

On-Kill item skills trigger for party members
This may also be intended but just in case: My own character has a ring that grants ~20% change to cast Fire Maelstrom on a kill, and a set of gloves that has a 25% chance to cast the same spell. It seems that these also apply to kills made by allies (At least to the NPC i am teamed up with). In combat it is harder to notice, but at times i am standing still while the NPC is clearing some fallen rocks. After they "kill" the rocks it occasionally triggers a Fire Maelstrom (The NPC itself doesn't have any items or skills that could trigger this)

Edit: Added a third observation.

Last edited by Excellion : 01-13-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I need to fix the ^v stuff for towers.

The random skills in the 2nd thing is on purpose, although it isn't necessarily supposed to be tied to the map.

The 3rd thing is a bug.
Patreon
Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The random skills in the 2nd thing is on purpose, although it isn't necessarily supposed to be tied to the map.
As far as i tried it seems to be (currently). Recreating a SpellSword trice on the same map resulted in the exact same skill set each time. Not necessarily a bad thing though. Another thing i noticed seems to be tied to the save / load system. I had a few oddball situations happen:

1. Yesterday one renegade NPC fled to an area named the "Secret tunnels" that was located under the "Secret Tunnels". It wasn't pinpoint-able on the map and seemed to have no access point anywhere. I might have missed it, though i note i fully explored all map area's thoroughly including any secret area's.
2. Yesterday i moved through a secret area gate with no initial issues. After returning to said gate after exploring the area (Without changing levels) the gate was suddenly, say, a 100 pixels further to the left and located inside a wall where it couldn't be reached.
3. Today i ran into an odd issue with the Earthquake, Earth Mastery and Blood Sacrifice skill. This combo should do 6 damage on use (38 mana, -47% mana cost reduction and 40% mana as damage on use). Today it suddenly seemed to trigger red damage numbers and each earthquake seemed to hit me for 17-31 damage with the capacity to deal a crushing blow on myself.

In all three cases i started writing a bug report, but upon a "Save and Exit" followed by a reload of the save the issues vanished (NPC was in a different area altogether, gate had moved back to its previous correct position and earthquake damage was doing 6 damage again without red damage numbers displayed).

These problems are a bit of a pain. Not due to the issues themselves, but because i dislike writing vague reports that don't include a clear description or a set of steps to reproduce the issue. In these three cases i still don't have the foggiest idea how i managed to trigger these problems, let alone why a reload fixed them each time. After the third i figured I'd mention these but i kind of doubt there is anything actionable here.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, things that go away after a save and resume are a pain to reproduce, but I'll look into them and see what I can do.
Patreon
Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Amateur

Another thing i noticed:

When a level is won and a new world is generated, NPC companions in the party will not (always) automatically rejoin the party in the next level (In this example i went from a "Chase" scenario to a "Nightmare" scenario but i noticed this before as well).

Two things seem to happen:
- If you happen to run into the NPC who was previously in your party and talk to them they will not offer an option to re-recruit them into the party. The dialogue and options seem to be the same as the ones available when an NPC is already in the party. (Though they are not in the party and will not follow the player)
- Saving and reloading the game fixes the issue (Irregardless if the NPC was found). After a reload the party is recreated and the NPC teamed up with in the previous level will be present.

And thankfully: This is a save and load related issue that is actually entirely reproducible.

Last edited by Excellion : 01-15-2019 at 07:58 PM.