Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM
Champion

Default Is Ranger getting better with levels ?

Hello,

I'm trying again Zombasite, didn't play for some months, and i roll a fresh new ranger.

And i dislike it a lot.

- It seems i can't shoot at nothing, must have a target, right ?
- With Ctrl hold, i can shot without moving, but still need a target, right ?
- It seems awefully slow, slow to shot, slow projectile, right ?
- the basic skill shots arrow in a weird very short curve, right ?

If wrong, what am i doing wrong ?

All these make me feel the archer, under level 10, is terribly boring to play. Any advice ?

Thanks

Last edited by ( Tchey ) : 05-18-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Expert

I don't have have a lot of experience with the archer tree (or Ranger), but you could get a lot of equipment with bonuses in extra projectiles, for a random chance to get more shots off. Someone did play a ranger to lvl 100 http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=5
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Elite

Not all classes are for everyone. For example, a month ago, I decided to get all of the level 25 achievements, and still haven't got the rogue one, because it just does not fit the way I like to play.

First, the ranger class is not necessarily about being an archer. But lets just look at archery. So, about your questions:
1-2) Yes, like every non-area effect skill, you need a target. If a skill checks attack vs defense, it will need a target to work. Even for some AoE skills, like whirlwind, you need a target.
3) Slow compared to what? To a real life arrow? Sure. To a Lightning Bold spell? Yes. To rogue's shurikens, to Lightning Swarms, or to a fighter's charge? No.
4) Short curve? I have no idea idea what you are talking about. I have definitely not seen ballistic curves. Like most aimed projectiles, arrows are assumed magical, and track, which against a moving target would give you a curve.

As for boring to play, I though that rangers are one of the most powerful classes at the early levels, and have not noticed a drop in power up to level 28, which is where I left mine. I also think that the most fun character to play is a druid/templar, i.e. a ranger hybrid. But this is a personal choice. The rangers are NOT underpowered, but they may very well not be your cup of tea.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Champion

I enjoy bow gameplay in many games, including hack'n'slash (Sacred, Grim Dawn...) and MMORPG (DAoC, Ashron, Gorgon...) and solo (the Elder Scroll games since Daggerfall...).

I guess i don't like the "magic arrow" following the target, i like to stand and shot arrows at "nothing" to clean from afar a dark room for example.

Anyway, i will try more classes until i find something i may enjoy "Soldak's way".

Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Elite

Now you've taken me back. Dark Age of Camelot really did archers better than any game outside the Mount and Blade franchise.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Champion

I really liked to play mine, but i enjoyed even more to play my assassin to kill other rangers !
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

While you can never just shoot without a target, if you use right click it will target things that are farther away from the cursor including things off screen.
Patreon
Old 05-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Amateur

Is it possible in the future to allow casting of skills without requiring a target? It would be neat if that could be implemented for both NPCs and the player, casting at where the enemy is at that time instead of tracing them.

Most ARPGs I know do this (diablo, PoE), allowing you to dodge incoming attacks and miss outgoing. But not to say this one has to.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Champion

Yep, i prefer too. It also feels more dynamic, at least to me. However i'm afraid it will change too much skills ingame, so too much coding, and maybe not to everyone's taste.