Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Legend

Default Things I love about this game

I figured there were enough criticizing threads...

Currently on my priest, who at level 10 is not that strong... but a lot of fun. I gave her fire and lightning because those look cool (and have saved her butt a couple of times), plus she has minor healing at level 3.

- Ran into 2 monsters and accidentally triggered a shrink trap, which proceeded to shrink both me and the monsters! All 3 of us were puny and bashing away at each other (and not doing much damage either). It was both hilarious and awesome.
- Initially I didn't like the traps and obelisks everywhere, but they're really a huge part of what makes this game great. Once you embrace traps and obelisks and learn to use them, you can go up against enemies that are too tough for you and figure out interesting ways of killing them -- or at least die trying. For example, my priest's most important level this town is level 12, where the curse and plague quests are. Even after slogging through the previous levels, she wasn't up to fighting the massive crowd around the level 12 gate, and the stairs were only slightly better. I started running around, found some beams, lured as many monsters near me as possible, and brought the whole roof down on me, killing a bunch of them (and me). Kept on coming back, running around triggering every trap possible until I whittled their numbers down to a reasonable level.
- Another favorite (from a previous game) is being surrounded by undead, then triggering an ambush trap to bring in a whole bunch of undead-haters to fight them.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Legend

The ability to turn things around in this game is cool and i think it is fun, but there is definitely a learning curve like no other. It took me a while to figure out what is good and what is bad in diablo 2-lord of destruction. It took 2 times as long to figure out how to survive in dins, especially when the beta first started-which was utter chaos. I find that the traps could be even more devious as i use my own skills most of the time. For example: Whenever i play a thief hybrid i use the caltrops skill. But...to make it even more interesting, i get a group of enemies run into a caltrops trap, then cast caltrops and smash em while they cant move at all. Its alot of fun.

I think that if shadow ever wanted to make the game more interactive or add another expansion, he could add like 20 new traps based off almost all the skills. For example: The trickster has stealth which can be deadly. What if there was a trap where when you run over it and no monsters are around it gives you 5 seconds of stealth. However, run over it when there are monsters around, they get a small stealth damage and crit boost for 5 seconds. You'd be running for your life! Especially if they were champions or bosses.

There could be an armor melt trap where you lose armor like the gladiators skill. A resistance loss trap. Blinding flash from the magicians skills. For 3 seconds you are frozen while the monsters are not. Yeah, prally want to stay away from that. Overall there could be much more traps in all. It would make the game even better as i find the best strategies come from using the environment to your advantage. Like in bioshock.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Expert

I love it when very fast pace finally produces a town that is really crazy
Just lost a town after 1h36min that had 18 machines built, 33 uprisings and 61 town attacks, among them 11 coordinated
At the end there were 4 or 5 town attacks at once, pouring out chaos minions and lords, fun times
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nim View Post
I love it when very fast pace finally produces a town that is really crazy
Just lost a town after 1h36min that had 18 machines built, 33 uprisings and 61 town attacks, among them 11 coordinated
At the end there were 4 or 5 town attacks at once, pouring out chaos minions and lords, fun times
To me, that would be too much stress. That is why I roll on Fast pace, Low Stress, Dangerous monsters. More laid back without all the XP penalties. And this is why I love Din's(among many other things!)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Expert

Well the thing is that like 95% of the towns I've played with very fast pace have been more like normal pace, which is why I'm happy when it finally gives me a town true to the chosen conditions. The two towns I've played since were both totally boring even though they were also very fast pace.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Elite

Just got a couple of the "fallen hero" quests, where I was able to rescue a couple of nice items from hardcore characters that got killed (like from a ghost in roguelikes). Very nice feature. Is this only for hardcore or from any character that has been deleted?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
Just got a couple of the "fallen hero" quests, where I was able to rescue a couple of nice items from hardcore characters that got killed (like from a ghost in roguelikes). Very nice feature. Is this only for hardcore or from any character that has been deleted?
Only for dead hardcore characters.
Patreon
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
Just had that happen to me over the weekend. I laughed pretty hard when I came across one of my last deceased hardcore character's loot! ..I thought that name sounded awfully familiar... still smiling about it.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Champion

One of the townies won quite a bit of silver in the lottery as I had been donating items left and right. No more than a minute later a tornado touched down and killed this very same townie (and only him). One of many things I love about Din's Curse.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Legend

Wow. He really won 2 lotteries then!