Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Elite

Lightbulb Concerning truly epic cave-ins

I don't know if it's supposed to be that way or if it's just the God of Collapsing Ceilings harbouring a grudge against me, but I'm encountering truly epic cave-ins at an alarming frequency -
with the resulting chunks of ceiling blocking up most corridors and even larger rooms on a given dungeon level, forcing me to dig my way through the rubble.
Depending on the scale of the disaster, this can get rather tiresome and annoying... not to mention the drops in framerate from all those rocky bits on screen at once.
Since Cave-ins are now saved in the current version of Din's Curse, I can't abuse Save and Exit to clear them all away instantly like I used to do when things got too cluttered in the past,
so I was thinking : Why not limit the maximum amount of Cave-ins present on a given level of the dungeon, automatically fading out the excess ones;
or limit the extent of consecutive Cave-ins to maybe the size of a screen.

Besides, I don't think Frost Novas should be able to ignite Gas Leaks...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Amateur

Just lost my amazing level 30 hardcore character to an epic cavein. Rocks covered the entire screen, even though i had started running from the site the moment it was triggered there was no possible way to escape. It covered every possible route and killed me in one hit, the only thing I could have done to save my character was use the town teleport stone. It felt like a really senseless way of losing the character, and as hilarious as the caveins are I would love for a way to disable them. On the whole cave-ins kill me way more than the monsters do!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Expert

This is actually why I have been reluctant to play HC. It seems like the epic cave-in is pretty much death beyond your control. I even have maxxed out teleport and get crushed occasionally by them.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Amateur

I don't think it's you -- cause it happens to me enough to make the game literally unplayable.

I saw in one of the infos that spells can trigger cave-ins and I think that's what is killing me. I use fireball exclusively and I trigger cave-ins so often that I'm died 19 out of 20 times from a collapse. There's no warnings for cave-ins so I can't get out of the way like earthquakes -- and it happens WAY TOO much when I'm surrounding and chucking fireballs for all it's worth. My hitpoints are already reduced because I've got ten things trying to kill me but the cave-in is what does me.

That's the part where a game gets put away until there's a way to reduce the frequency of pointless deaths... if ten spiders gang up and kill me, fine, but if I survive the ten spiders only to have my last fireball kill me with a cave-in AND it happens on a predictable schedule then I have to call it 'done!'
Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Champion

I could be wrong, but isn't the origin of where the earthquake emits at the point fireballs are landing rather than ontop of you?
Frost nova does not generate earthquakes- you're probably hitting support beams.

Personally I don't have any real beef with earthquakes.. they simply serve to amuse me in coop most of the time. They are probably a bit too much if you're spamming fireball 24/7.

Last edited by Magitek : 04-20-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Elite

Frost Novas have a chance of triggering cave-ins, just like any other AoE spell or trap, and just as likely as any other skill or attack when they hit a steam vent or gas leak. I'm complaining about a cold-based attack being able to "ignite" unstable gas, that's all.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
Frost Novas have a chance of triggering cave-ins, just like any other AoE spell or trap, and just as likely as any other skill or attack when they hit a steam vent or gas leak. I'm complaining about a cold-based attack being able to "ignite" unstable gas, that's all.
This shouldn't be true. Steam shouldn't be reacting to anything (directly at least) and gas should only react to fire. If you cast something that explodes, then the steam and gas might move to a worse state like cave ins. Frost novas don't do this though.
Patreon
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magitek View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't the origin of where the earthquake emits at the point fireballs are landing rather than ontop of you?
Frost nova does not generate earthquakes- you're probably hitting support beams.

Personally I don't have any real beef with earthquakes.. they simply serve to amuse me in coop most of the time. They are probably a bit too much if you're spamming fireball 24/7.
It does... but the monsters like to swarm and I get swarmed in open areas because spiders jump and there's that weird 'rush' that some monsters do. So a pure 'no physical offense' blaster gets housed by cave-ins in my experience so far.

I'll try a pure lightning rod -- at this moment, I'm judging the lightning spells to be better one-on-one due to thunderbolt doing stun. I think fireball is probably the best I've seen coded in any game -- it just feels like what I imagined a fireball to do but the cave-ins come too often and do too much damage. If we could even dodge the damage, it would be a saving point.

EDITED TO ADD: I give up... no more fireballs for me -- I'll see if there's another mage blaster type I can play without this pain.

Last edited by elsol69 : 04-20-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Champion

Is there any way for a skill (passively) to reduce cave-ins or reduce its damage? Or is it just impossible and the only way is to avoid?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Amateur

Epic cave-ins are the reason I don't play HC, and even though this probably sounds absurd to alot of you, to me, a dungeon crawler without HC is a game left unplayed.