Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Amateur

Default Most beginner friendly race?

Hey all, as a longtime fan of Soldak (liked Depths of Peril, LOVED Din's Curse and have both on Steam), I finally managed to pick up Drox earlier this week. I've played it enough to get a feel, but I'm still a newb at it.

My question is, what race tends to be the most friendly towards beginners?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Amateur

I would say Fringe. Fringe has Engineering and Tactical bonuses, both stats which you will probably want to use (tactical especially), and the free Reactor slot is universally useful no matter what you are doing.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Elite

Human. Humans have a mine that lets you run away while devastating the enemy. So you survive and learn.

But your second ship should probably be one of the better races, which I think are Fringe, Brunt and Cortex. Actually, Humans are also very good, but their style is very different (because of those same mines) and I like to play multiple ships intermittently.

Just avoid the Lythosoids who are mediocre, and the Dryads who are terrible.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Champion

Any race is friendly as long as you have a good mouse, brains, and two hands attached properly to your body )
Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Amateur

For beginner friendly... I think the Fringe as well since their specialty slot is a reactor so you don't take up valuable heavy space away from possible weapons, plus I've found that managing power becomes one of the more trickier issues, you get all this neat equipment but need to pick and choose what to use because you'll be over your power allotment. Another choice as mentioned as well would be Humans, being able to run away and drop a mine is fairly useful.

That said, I am not a fan of the Fringe, that "perk" of having an "extra" heavy slot starts to look not so good when you realize that they don't get any additional benefit of having the racial specific equipment, that being half power load usage, since it is a powered item there's no power load usage, and a worst case scenario you have a perk of a -XX power load... well you'll only have half of that so you actually get penalized.

After playing around with various races I definitely see some which have useful equipment slots, and some not so useful. Currently I'm loving the Dryad because they get two weapon slots, one of them repairs your ship, the other boost shield regeneration rates, both which become pretty indispensable at times.

Overall you have to play around with each race to get a feel for what you like, what play style, you want boosts, choose Utopians the get a computer slot and a temporary boost slot, you want more weapons, just Brunt they get a missile weapon slot, etc.