Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 04:30 AM
Amateur

Default Some questions/suggestions

1. What are the purpose of torches in dungeons? Is it helpful to light them or is it just decorative?

2. Is complete level cleaning mandatory? Does it add XP? (if not I think it would be cool if it do)

3. The 'crown icon' designating that a town is saved is blinking constantly. It's slightly distracting and annoying, especially when a town is saved while you are on dungeon level 5 and you still have a good half of fun slashing-n-looting ahead. Is it possible to make it stop flashing and just being there?

4. I put the food-eating to the bottom right-click slot but it doesn't work as I supposed (just clicking the right button as it was in Diablo games or the like), it works only if I point the cursor on this bottom slot and then right-click on it. Is it intentional or did I miss something? If it is intentional it seems the very meaning of quick slots is lost when one must point on them first.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Arrhtheis : 05-21-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrhtheis View Post
1. What are the purpose of torches in dungeons? Is it helpful to light them or is it just decorative?
It's mostly decorative. If there's a darkness machine, they can make a big difference to visibility.

Quote:
2. Is complete level cleaning mandatory? Does it add XP? (if not I think it would be cool if it do)
There's an XP bonus but it's not mandatory at all -- you just need to clear the quests.

Quote:
3. The 'crown icon' designating that a town is saved is blinking constantly. It's slightly distracting and annoying, especially when a town is saved while you are on dungeon level 5 and you still have a good half of fun slashing-n-looting ahead. Is it possible to make it stop flashing and just being there?
Later games have an option to turn this off. My UI mod turns off the annoying blinking.

Quote:
4. I put the food-eating to the bottom right-click slot but it doesn't work as I supposed (just clicking the right button as it was in Diablo games or the like), it works only if I point the cursor on this bottom slot and then right-click on it. Is it intentional or did I miss something? If it is intentional it seems the very meaning of quick slots is lost when one must point on them first.
I've never tried putting food on that slot -- you're right, it doesn't work. It works for skills, but not for item usage. If you put the food in slot 1 though, you can press `1` to eat.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
It's mostly decorative.
It's a pity. I was ready to think that in such complicated (in a good way) game like DC torches should play a bigger role

Quote:
There's an XP bonus but it's not mandatory at all -- you just need to clear the quests.
Another thing I still haven't realised is how monster respawn works. It seems enemies respawn even on cleared levels after I went to town and back.

Quote:
Later games have an option to turn this off. My UI mod turns off the annoying blinking.
I checked your mods descriptions, they look cool but as for now I'd better restrict to unmodded gameplay while I'm still new to DC. Is there an option to adopt only 'crown icon blinking stop' from your mod though?

Quote:
I've never tried putting food on that slot -- you're right, it doesn't work. It works for skills, but not for item usage. If you put the food in slot 1 though, you can press `1` to eat.
I see. No item usage, alas. Maybe default hotkeys for health/mana replenish items are available?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrhtheis View Post
It's a pity. I was ready to think that in such complicated (in a good way) game like DC torches should play a bigger role
I agree. The only thing that happens with torches is that some monsters put them out. I would have wanted to see some monsters dislike the light and run away from it.

Quote:
Another thing I still haven't realised is how monster respawn works. It seems enemies respawn even on cleared levels after I went to town and back.
Usually, if there's a quest on a level, the monsters respawn there.

Quote:
I checked your mods descriptions, they look cool but as for now I'd better restrict to unmodded gameplay while I'm still new to DC. Is there an option to adopt only 'crown icon blinking stop' from your mod though?
There is a file in there that does that, but I'd have to dig through it to find it. The UI mod won't change any of the experience. It's there only to improve the UI, moving the health bar and status effects where you can see them better, giving you more accessible quick slots etc.

Quote:
I see. No item usage, alas. Maybe default hotkeys for health/mana replenish items are available?
No default, no. I usually place health in the 0 slot and mana in the 9 slot. In the newer games, if you run out of one kind of health/mana potion, another will replace it, but this isn't the case in DC.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Amateur

Quote:
The UI mod won't change any of the experience. It's there only to improve the UI, moving the health bar and status effects where you can see them better, giving you more accessible quick slots etc.
Yes, I've seen screenshots. As for now, I've already got used to have Life-Mana-Stamina bars (in this order from top to bottom) in upper left corner, where they seem easier to watch being close to and on the same level with monsters lifebars.

Quote:
The only thing that happens with torches is that some monsters put them out. I would have wanted to see some monsters dislike the light and run away from it.
Yes, seeing some monsters putting them out from time to time gave me a thought that monsters don't like torches for some reason. This reason could be that torch light increases your chance to hit (within the light radius, smaller from smaller torches and wider from bigger ones), or triggering some status effect on monsters that fear the light, or someting like that

As for monsters AI, another thing that made me think 'Wow, this game keeps amazing me!' was that monsters try to get rid of Healthstones/Lifestones! It's so cool that I rather have fun seeing these tryings than to feel angry at these monsters

Last edited by Arrhtheis : 05-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 AM
Amateur

Another questions:

5. I just finished my first town and travelled to next one but still didn't go down to dungeons. Are dungeons different visually (using the different textures, models, templates) or just of different colors? I mean, are there only cave-like dungeons with boulder walls and no medieval interiors, Aztec-like swamp/jungle themed labyrinths, frozen or infernal abysses, or something alike? And are dungeon levels of the same town differ visually?

6. In dungeons a scary devilish voice speaks something undistinguishable from time to time. What does it say? Is it all meaningless or triggered by something or is triggering something (it would be cool)?

7. In food items descriptions there is a 'minus Hunger' stat (e.g. -6000 Hunger). It seems to imply that some hunger mechanics is present in the game. But I can't find any stats or other tracks of it.

8. When a leprechaun steals some money from you and then you kill it, do all of your stolen money return to you from its breathless body or some portion is stolen forever? (it would be cool!)

Last edited by Arrhtheis : 05-23-2019 at 01:53 AM.