Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Legend

Default Things you'd like worked on in Demon War

-Someone recently made mention of having certain armor absorbing a certain amount. Cloth-10-20%, Leather-30-40%, Mail 50-60%, and Plate-70%. I think this would be good and would make sense. I know that a lot of people are saying that too much balance is bad but it doesnt make sense when certain leather armors have more armor than platemail. Especially taking into effect the no strength requirement. I think leather and cloth would be good if you arent going to be putting points into strength. However, if you are going to be wearing plate or mail, you should get some added protection.

-Dodge and Evade are naturally acts of extreme finesse and agility. Because of this it might be a good idea to lower the chance of critical hits with every certain number of points in this. This would be to make glass cannon characters like wizards, conjurers, rogues and rangers more viable at later levels when death is almost staring you in the face.

-The starving count. For some reason, in the past 7 games, i have had at one time 7 people come on my list as starving. Im not sure why this has happened but it is always at least 6 people at once. A couple of times they all died at the same time too so i dont know if they were planning a mass suicide.

-Another thing that has happened is whenever i go to look for the lost item, food, water shipment-it is always in lvl 2. For the past 5 games it has been that way.

Anything else that should be discussed should be in this thread.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
-Someone recently made mention of having certain armor absorbing a certain amount. Cloth-10-20%, Leather-30-40%, Mail 50-60%, and Plate-70%. I think this would be good and would make sense. I know that a lot of people are saying that too much balance is bad but it doesnt make sense when certain leather armors have more armor than platemail. Especially taking into effect the no strength requirement. I think leather and cloth would be good if you arent going to be putting points into strength. However, if you are going to be wearing plate or mail, you should get some added protection.
I think that they were saying that this is ALREADY the type of protection afforded by said armors. So I'm wondering if the armor rating/numbers matter or if the material matters more....

Quote:
-Dodge and Evade are naturally acts of extreme finesse and agility. Because of this it might be a good idea to lower the chance of critical hits with every certain number of points in this. This would be to make glass cannon characters like wizards, conjurers, rogues and rangers more viable at later levels when death is almost staring you in the face.
Almost? What game were you playing?

Quote:
-The starving count. For some reason, in the past 7 games, i have had at one time 7 people come on my list as starving. Im not sure why this has happened but it is always at least 6 people at once. A couple of times they all died at the same time too so i dont know if they were planning a mass suicide.
Here's how I think it works:

There's a timer when the game starts before it will declare starvation. So anyone who starts a new "world" in debt will all hit the timer at the same time and be declared starving in one fell swoop. You can prevent it by paying off people's debts early in the game, but then you don't get the rep-building quests Hrm...

And I'm sure there's a timer after starvation is declaired that is ticking until they die. So all NPCs who start off in debt are declaired starving & dying at the same time. Static timer, not randomized. It might be a good thing for there to be a small randomization (1-3 minutes in seconds?) before the quest is declared, thus randomizing the actual dying time too....?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
Almost? What game were you playing?
The game is really not as hard as it used to be. Believe me, the original beta was insane. Monsters at lvl 8 with 200-300 health, respawn rate of monsters out of control, each one hit for 20-35 damage at lvl 6. Even 6 months ago it wasnt that hard compared to before. It still is a bit on the challenging side compared to other games.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Expert

Really the thing that I would like worked on most is more interesting dungeon generation. To me the dungeons look and feel very random; halls and rooms that each have a random group of mobs, torches, chests, traps etc. Sure each level is limited to certain types of mobs, but there doesn't seem to be much cohesion beyond that. Even the towns feel very random, and not in a good way.

I really think more care should be put into placement of objects and mobs and really dungeon generation in general. Borrow a page from the good roguelikes out there and have predefined 'vault' rooms that pop up here and there to give things a more purposeful look. As far as I can tell the special vaults in Din's are only special due to the type of object that is found in there, aside from the fun of finding 4 treasure chests there is nothing else really distinguishing the treasure room from any other room it seems. A different wall/floor texture, rows of lined up treasure chests, a counting table off to the side with gold pieces on it. Just little things, but they would really add a lot to the game.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Legend

The one thing ive never understood is where the blood is in the game. I know that the game is not very violent, but with quests like-"Go over here and kill him" or "Wipe out the rest of these things", it makes me think that maybe a little bit of blood or gore would be a good thing to introduce. Im not saying diablo gore, but when i see the same monster die the same way all the time, wouldnt it be cool if the orc fell on his sword for a change or something along the lines of different death animations.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
The game is really not as hard as it used to be. Believe me, the original beta was insane. Monsters at lvl 8 with 200-300 health, respawn rate of monsters out of control, each one hit for 20-35 damage at lvl 6. Even 6 months ago it wasnt that hard compared to before. It still is a bit on the challenging side compared to other games.
My problem with it isn't so much the difficulty (though I believe twinking is a large part of the fun of games like this), but the fact that the current system tends to cut down on the variety of strongly viable ways to skill up your character.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Legend

[quote=DeathKnight1728;22744]-Someone recently made mention of having certain armor absorbing a certain amount. Cloth-10-20%, Leather-30-40%, Mail 50-60%, and Plate-70%. I think this would be good and would make sense. I know that a lot of people are saying that too much balance is bad but it doesnt make sense when certain leather armors have more armor than platemail. Especially taking into effect the no strength requirement. I think leather and cloth would be good if you arent going to be putting points into strength. However, if you are going to be wearing plate or mail, you should get some added protection.[quote]

After getting some data samples, it looks like the current formula is pretty close to this, but maybe could use a bit of tweaking (unlike the resistance formula, which I found to be way off). I'm trying to tweak it so that plate counts for more. The problem is that armor values vary tremendously in the higher levels, making it very hard to come up with a good function for that part. Also, I don't have enough samples of plate armor in different levels.

Quote:
I agree. Critical hits just going up constantly (as I believe they do now) mean that monsters late in the game will demolish weak chars.

Quote:
-Another thing that has happened is whenever i go to look for the lost item, food, water shipment-it is always in lvl 2. For the past 5 games it has been that way.
Interesting. Could just be chance -- I've had it in many different levels. Maybe the quest generator isn't randomizing this properly from game to game?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Expert

-further adjustments to the armor and especially resistance formulas.
-fixes for animation times
-cooldown reduction or duration increases for most buff skills like concentration, adrenaline, frost armor per skillpoint
-stronger pets
-Better set bonusses and or better set items
-more hp and/or resistances and/or armor for most nonboss monsters.
-make it harder to achieve 100% crit / crush / deep wounds
-spirit _slightly_ increases the chance for a stunning blow
-increase of armor piercing numbers by a few hundred percent
-possibility to enchant items

Last edited by Baki : 02-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baki View Post
-fixes for animation times
Just to give more background, I'll quote you from the other thread, Baki:

you are wielding a weapon with 1 second attack speed and 100 damage per swing, no other dmg modifiers from str or skills. -> 100 dps
if you use cleave you will do 150 dmg because cleave has a time value of 1.5 seconds.
but the dmg is alrdy done after ~0.5 seconds. after the dmg is done you quickly do a berserk and the cleave animation will be aborted but the dmg is already done. immediatly cast cleave again -> repeat (you can use programs like autohotkey which help with the timing to optimize it)

that way you can do 150% dps in 0.5 seconds to 2 targets with the best melee range possible. that means cleave with 0% damage bonus is as good vs a single target as a normal attack with 300% dps bonus.

Quote:
-make it harder to achieve 100% crit / crush / deep wounds
Yeah we probably need a non-linear formula for these .

Quote:
-possibility to enchant items
This is the only point I disagree with. We already have a huge amount of magic items as it is. Also, if we add the possibility to enchant, we open a massive door for imbalances to creep in.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Expert

Just found another possible exploit. Create the highest level town possible. Check Apo for Stamp out the Infestation, do the quest, abandon town, repeat.

Just leveled from 54 to 60 in 10 minutes. Did not even get xp dept for abandoning.