Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Amateur

Exclamation Black screen (also).

Well since I love Indie-style RPG, I wanted to give Depths of Peril a change and downloaded the demo. However I am presented with a "nice" black screen as soon as I start the game.

Things I have tried:

- updated videocard drivers
- updated directx
- checked DEP within Vista (but it's already configured correctly)
- tried starting the game windowed

All without succes...

My PC:

Windows Vista x64
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.50 Ghz
4096 MB RAM
ATI HD5770 videocard

I really wanted to give the game a go and possibly purchase it, however seeing the game won't run...

I loved Eschalon: Book I (from another developer) and I am looking for the same fix with this game...

Last edited by HudsonHawk : 04-21-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: PC specs...
Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Two thoughts come to mind.

It looks like you are overclocked. If that is so, you might want to change back to normal and see if that helps.

The other possibility is that the game might think your GPU doesn't support compressed textures and is busy trying to build uncompressed versions of all of the textures. If this is the issue, if you sit on the black screen for a few minutes it will eventually build all of them (it will only do this once).
Patreon
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 AM
Amateur

Yes indeed I run overclocked.
Never ever had this problem before and I play a lot of game and use Photoshop a lot; never had a single crash or lockup. Temperatures are also stable. Run a test drive with Prime95 en LinX for 8 hours. Stable.

I will leave the game on for a while and see if it has something to do with the compressed textures; which I seriously doubt.

If this doesn't work, I will give up.

//edit #1

Well, I checked the videocard specifications and it does support compressed textures. I even tried setting the CPU settings back to default (normal clockspeed) and also left the game on the black screen for approx. 15 minutes. All without succes... Sigh...

I am going to try one more thing; which is updating my videocard drivers. Though they are not old (2 months at most, I will give that a go, who knows).

//edit #2

Well it seemed my videocard drivers were only 1 month old, however I updated them, rebooted. And still a black screen (doesn't respond).

Last edited by HudsonHawk : 04-22-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Further testing...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Amateur

After 3 weeks of waiting for a solution, I decided not to buy this unsupported game. I just order Echalon Book II instead. Which does work.

Goodbye.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry this kind of slipped through my fingers. I'm not sure I have a good solution for you though. It's probably graphics driver related, but you have already done everything I can think of trying.

I think everyone should try out Eschalon Book I and/or II if they enjoy old school turn based RPGSs.
Patreon
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
After 3 weeks of waiting for a solution, I decided not to buy this unsupported game.
Ouch, that was a tad harsh.