Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Amateur

Angry Game runs VERY slowly under Windows 7

I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop, and updated all of my drivers. After installing DoP, I ran it and the game runs VERY slowly, even with all of the options set to minimum. Considering that the specs on my laptop exceed the minimums, I'd really like to get this game running halfway decently.

My system specs:

AMD Turion64 CPU running at 1.8GHz, rated at 2.24GHz
1 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon XPress 200M w/ 128MB of video RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Expert

Well, the problem here is that Windows 7 requires 1GB of ram (minimum to run, they recommend you have 2GB to run without performance problems) and a 1GHz processor.

So, if you take in account what W7 requires to run + DoP, it doesn't look good :P

There could of course be some other issue, but with such low system specs and Windows 7 you shouldn't be playing games.

EDIT: And to top that off, with a 64 bit processor they recommend 2GB ram as the minimum to run, so, you don't even meet the windows 7 system requirements. =|

EDIT EDIT: Don't take this post as truth, just my opinion :P (Opinion based on the windows 7 upgrade checker telling me my 1gb of ram isn't enough for a 64bit system =( and a bit of googling)

Last edited by Guenwhyever : 11-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm, it is possible that Guenwhyever is correct and that you just don't have enough RAM. Let's try a few things though.

Some settings that you might want to try if you haven't already are changing ground detail to very low, turning detail models off, turning better lighting off, turning shadows off, and zooming in as far as is comfortable.

However, make sure you keep compressed textures and hardware cursor on.
Patreon
Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guenwhyever View Post
Well, the problem here is that Windows 7 requires 1GB of ram (minimum to run, they recommend you have 2GB to run without performance problems) and a 1GHz processor.

So, if you take in account what W7 requires to run + DoP, it doesn't look good :P

There could of course be some other issue, but with such low system specs and Windows 7 you shouldn't be playing games.

EDIT: And to top that off, with a 64 bit processor they recommend 2GB ram as the minimum to run, so, you don't even meet the windows 7 system requirements. =|

EDIT EDIT: Don't take this post as truth, just my opinion :P (Opinion based on the windows 7 upgrade checker telling me my 1gb of ram isn't enough for a 64bit system =( and a bit of googling)
My CPU isn't a 64-bit processor, it's just called a Turion64 chip. Considering that my laptop can hold a MAXIMUM of 2GB of RAM, it's not intended for a 64-bit OS. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I probably should have put that in my original post.

As for playing games on my laptop, if I can run Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 on it, I should be able to play DoP.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Expert

Dang, good luck getting stuff figured out then (follow shadows posts, he'll help you out :P)!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Expert

Huh, I came here to report the same problem even with the latest patch is installed. While I ALSO have two gigs of RAM *glares at Guenwhyever* I too have problems running the game. It runs slower that molasses.

While my PC is on the older side, if games like Oblivion, Torchlight, Portal, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Spellforce 2 and so on all work fine, then a game with lower system specs -- the DoP page says "256MB RAM" is "recommended", for example -- like this one should also run fine, in my opinion.

I therefore humbly request that the powers that be, or anyone knowledgeable, help us fix the problem if at all possible. Thank you. ^_^
Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Elite

For what it's worth I'm running the Windows 7 RC and the game runs perfectly. I'd be surprised if it were an issue with the operating system.

Basic system specs:
Intel Core2Duo 2.8 Ghz
4Gb RAM
GeForce 260GTX

Sorry I can't help =(

Last edited by Kruztee : 11-06-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm, have you guys tried my suggestions a few comments up? You probably need to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date also. You can also open up the console with the ~ key and type in fps 1 and hit enter to turn on the frame rate counter. What is the number it prints in the upper left corner when it feels slow?
Patreon
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Amateur

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Hmm, have you guys tried my suggestions a few comments up? You probably need to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date also. You can also open up the console with the ~ key and type in fps 1 and hit enter to turn on the frame rate counter. What is the number it prints in the upper left corner when it feels slow?
Yes, I followed your suggestions. I get 5 fps on the main menu and 1 fps in the main game. And yes, I have the latest drivers for my laptop.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

You're definitely right that is slow. You might want to make sure you are running the latest version of DirectX, but I suspect you are.

You could also turn on the profiling stuff so we can see what subsystem is the problem. Start the exe, then load whatever character, go to the console by hitting the ~ key, then type in profile 2 and hit enter. It should start spitting out a lot of timing info. In general what are the numbers for total, renderer, and game?
Patreon