Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Amateur

Default Shadow please help. .

the game runs very slow on my laptop. . . although in the secret places (the one you get from chest) it runs smoothly. its also fine in the menu. my specs windows xp professional version 2002 Intel Celeron 1.60gH, 504ram..... Mobile intel 915gm/gms.910ml express chipset. . .

i really like this game. . just so happens that i cannot optimize it. . . help will be much appreciated...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Legend

Your CPU is decent enough for the game, but your graphics card is bad and you have ridiculously little RAM.

In advanced options, turn off complex shadows. That's the most performance-intensive thing graphic card-wise.

Turn Ground Detail to Very Low, turn off Better Lighting and Detail Models, and make sure you leave texture compression ON.

To check your FPS count during the game, type ~ followed by 'fps 1', enter and then ~ again. You should be able to get 18fps+ in outdoor areas.

If you're getting less than that, make sure other applications are closed.

If your FPS is still very low, you may also want to turn off fullscreen. It helped me, but it's possible your graphic card won't like it.

Hope that helps.

If you get a good frame rate, you can gradually try adding back Better Lighting and Detail Models, and then gradually turn up Ground Detail. Don't use complex shadows though.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Amateur

yeah dude. . tnx. . . uhmm. . do i have to upgrade my laptop in order to play this game in its best?? or just updating drivers will do the trick??
Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftrobber View Post
yeah dude. . tnx. . . uhmm. . do i have to upgrade my laptop in order to play this game in its best?? or just updating drivers will do the trick??
Updating drivers is always good.

Playing the game at its best depends on what you mean by best. Your laptop is faster than mine, but I have a better graphics card and more memory. DoP has fairly low requirements except for 'complex shadows', and mostly it needs a decent CPU.

The fact that you have minimal memory may be hurting performance, especially because of the type of graphics card you have. However, upgrading memory on old laptops is often more expensive than upgrading it on newer laptops, so it may not be worth it.

Basically, if you want a silky smooth experience with 60 FPS, you probably need a new computer. If you're ok with a pretty good experience and prefer not to spend money, then hopefully the tips I gave will help.