Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Expert

Default Death by Shankar

Dunno if this is a bug, or feature, but when Shankar kills me (1 hit, woo!), I end up with maxxed out xp debt, and a pile of soulstones where I died. I dropped 8 soulstones on the first death, and 9 on the second.

Maybe his one hit is enough to kill me 9 times over? =/

EDIT: Looks like a bug related to reflected damage (infinite loop?). I'm running a lvl 2 fire shield (10% damage reflected) and he's got level 2 thorns (50%) damage reflection. If I turn off the fire shield and fight him, it's just like normal (a bit of a whuppin, but not too bad). If I turn on fire shield and hit him, I die and leave a monster pile of soulstones. Doh!

Second Edit: Ok, I managed to kill him but I think damage reflection in general may need to be toned down. I ended up breaking out the 2h hammer and just zerg rushing him through a portal to get in 1-2 swings before I died. Trying to fight him in any normal method was mostly a waste of time and ineffective. I dislike the zerg cheeze though. =(
-Thrugg
________
MFLB

Last edited by Thrugg : 05-09-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's definitely not a feature. I'll try to track this down and fix it.
Patreon
Old 09-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Expert

Ok, another thing that may be at play here, I've been testing a little more with monsters that have thorns, and it looks like thorns stacks with berzerker style bonuses as well. I strapped on the smallest weapon I could find (small wimpy staff, max damage was only 21 after all stats/bonuses). Zapping a thorn/zerker (100% thorns, +300% zerker), I ended up taking ~90 damage per reflected hit. Ouch!

-Thrugg
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by Thrugg : 05-09-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Expert

Same happened to me. I had to kick my priest casting fire shield out of the party in order not to be insta killed by a unique villain.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, there was an infinite loop thing going, but it will be fixed in version 1.001
Patreon
Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Expert

It looks like this may still be a problem, I just loaded up my priest with the beta patch (1.001) and re-spec'd for fire shield, and ended up with a little dash of weird.

*fixed some problems when both enemies have damage on hit effects <-- I'm guessing this was the line in reference to the damage shield looping

What I just had happen was *quite* unexpected, as I was fighting a unique that didnt even have the any damage reflection abilities. However, when fighting him with fire shield on, I'd go kersplat in about a second flat in a hailstorm of flying damage numbers.

Attached is a screenshot I managed to get: On the far end of the ring Shadowstrike, weighing in at a mere lvl 27 unique, fire & strength enchanted, with a dash of 20% power vaporization. In the other corner, Thrugg, lvl 28 priest of the heavy hammer, swinging 'n squishing, sadly he came into the ring with fire shield on today.

The 3's running over his head correpsond to the fire shield damage (o.O It's only level 1, gimme a break). Over my head, a bunch of 25-60's that were the source of my demise.

Any ideas?

EDIT: He was shooting fireballs that would periodically hit me pretty hard, but the resulting DPS of burning damage was typically 10ish. I turned off fireshield and beat the snot out of him after I got my evidence. =)

-Thrugg
________
AVANDIA PROBLEMS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damageshield.jpg (71.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Thrugg : 05-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, I'll look at it.
Patreon
Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrugg View Post
EDIT: He was shooting fireballs that would periodically hit me pretty hard, but the resulting DPS of burning damage was typically 10ish. I turned off fireshield and beat the snot out of him after I got my evidence. =)
-Thrugg
I've found that the fire DPS stacks from spell to spell. So as a hypothetical:

- Shankur throws fireballs that do 10DPS for 10 secs each.
- He hits you with 5 of them at ~ 1 per second.
- For the next 5 secs, you'll be getting 50 DPS, then 40 for the 6th sec, etc...

I found this to be the case with Fiery Blast spells, and also with certain monsters' poison attacks. As a result, I've determined that anything with moderate DPS is enemy #1 to be feared. Often I kill them but they accumulate so much DPS on me that even when I gate back to my lifestone and am in the process of healing, I can't overcome the DPS and I die in a few seconds.

So this may not actually be a bug, just a really nasty Shankur.
Experience to extremes..." - RUSH, The Enemy Within
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Expert

Just thinking about it, the only thing I could imagine is that the fire-burning DOT was being applied all at once instead of over the 10-second period that it would normally happen.

Anyhow, just a thought.

EDIT: AnalogKid: You snuck in while I was writing my reply! Yes the burn DOT is dangerous, but he wasnt shooting that many fireballs at me (typically just 1 and then I'd get this spam of damage and die). One thing I wasnt sure of though, does the DOT get a double-strength start if the fire attack that starts it was a critical hit? IE - starting at 20/sec instead of 10/sec when getting a critical? Still though, as seen in the screenshot, there's no delay inbetween the damage. A normal DOT (per-second) attack happens at a regular interval, and while it grows in size it's still only applied once per second.

-Thrugg
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by Thrugg : 05-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

It was actually the major fire imbue stuff on Shadowstrike causing another reflected damage loop with fire shield. It's fixed in version 1.002 though.
Patreon