Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Amateur

Default Game Improvement

First, great job on this game. It's really well done. The common complaints and suggestions for improvement have already been made, and I tend to agree with many of them.

That said, I've seen one improvement idea made several times (by several people) and I think it's such a good idea I'd like to mention it again:

Having a persistent map of the different towns in the game. What's going on (overview) in each town. Is it saved? Does it need saving? One can surmise that not every town on the map would need saving, but that bad things might happen here and there that cause a town to "go bad" and need a hero. I think having such a map would give the player a MUCH greater feeling of accomplishment. After all, one would be able to re-enter towns already saved, talk to the shopkeepers, etc., and then also save the towns that are in trouble.

I realize this is probably not an easy addition. But, wow, what a game this would turn into!!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Expert

I started to promote the game with my guild members.

Everyone liked the game and I managed to sucessfully show them the unique elements of design.

But then, after playing one game, one town, this friend said on teamspeak with a bit of sadness in his voice something about "I finished the town, but now what? start a new game? is that all there is to it?"

Then I said that everygame would be different, like he had witnessed when he played, but he quickly intervenied and said "we keep playing to get more level and gear, I understand"

One thing Im starting to ask myself... we have been playing these hack and slash games for years now, and I never seen people complaining about this "issues". Its like we get to a gaming "maturity" phase where we start asking existential questions for our characters "what I am doing? Why do I exist? What is my destiny? Why do I do what I do?"

And in the past we didnt evaluated games that didnt answered those questions as meaningless or pointless compared to as we do today. Its like we are getting more demanding.

By the way.
You know when you kill a named monster or find a legendary item or complete a quest and you go back to town and talk to an npc and he aknowledges what you just did?

Imagine if all the towns existed in the same world, and some npcs could travel from town to town and appear randomly sometimes on the town where you are, imagine if this npc came from the last time you saved (this would be a random event and the game would keep track of various details of your last games for these situations) and he aknowledged what you did in the last town, or even spread the word in this town, causing effects, such as reducing prices for you on the npcs. This would be more than what a legendary developer Peter Molineux promised for his game, Fable, many years ago and could not deliver.

This is at Shadows' reach, wich already have the core mechanics of this organic engine of life and interactivity, where a player character is just another being, the world doesnt revolve around the character, but he can nevertheless affect the world around himself with his genuine choices, we can currently see the innerworkings of procedurally generated story worth content in a sandbox. Pessimists around the world said this would never work, Din's curse is the closest Ive seen of this dream design.

One of the conversation topics with said npc would be asking about the old town. (The game would randomly choose multiple possible story/happenings for the old town, maybe it grew bigger, maybe it got destroyed, maybe it got taken by some insectoid monster race, maybe nothing happened and it is still there, strong, thanks to you) After finishing the current game, the player would then be offered the chance to go back to the old town to help the npc (if one of the random events/stories for that town is a quest), or maybe the player can continue his journey to the next town that needs a hero.

I can see it working exactly with the same design for quests/events we have for each town, except in a bigger scale, and the actions the player does in various towns would maybe trigger one or multiple random "major plots" or unveil an "underlying story" (and for those, we would use/connect the lore of the world we found in the books for Depths of Peril, maybe a character written in a book said to be dead, is alive, maybe something said to be just a myth, is more real than people think it is, and these offer many opportunities to entertain players and hook them up for multiple games/towns) for that world (that character game type, i.e. one for hardcore, one for normal players).

Last edited by interesting : 04-05-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Amateur

No pressure, Shadow
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Champion

The way I understand it, the point of Din's Curse is not the salvation of the world, because there will Always be more stuff going wrong. Even after I saved a town and was just puttering around and checking vendors afterwards, I've had more quests pop up.

The point of the game is to gain your character's freedom. To escape the curse by gradually, town after town, changing your character from a selfish jerk into a kind and honorable hero.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Elite

That is true Rani, but interesting's idea brings up the point of persistence - it's something that keeps a player going and going. Having connected towns one way or another will promote a sense of persistence.

As it is, saving one town and moving on to another is IMHO an aspect of a game more geared towards the casual audience, as in people who can only afford an hour or two of gaming time a day. Does this mean it's a bad design? No, but I can empathize with people who don't like this idea of town-saved-lets-move-on, since it sometimes leaves me not wanting more when I move on to the next town.

In other words, IMO the game world is too small to leave a sense of epicness. Having bosses and mobs invade the town create this feeling, but it is only contained within this one town, so the scale is relatively small. Do I have a problem with this? Not really, I am one of those who can live with this type of game progression. Do I think having multiple towns is a better idea? Hell yes.

Anyone remember Nox? Now that was a great ARPG that left a very nice sense of epicness. Sure the maps are linear, but they are varied and are fun to explore. It'd be nice to imagine Nox's maps with Din's Curse emergent gameplay.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Expert

The advantage of the current design is that it is an ARPG that you don't just hack and slash and loot--you can lose/win the mini game in each town. It kind of reminds me of FastCrawl--a short goal-driven rpg where you either win or lose by accomplishing the goal (killing a boss monster). Even the ultimate goal of winning your freedom doesn't seem as important compared to that. Any ultimate epic goal should play into the town win/lose thing.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Expert

The advantage of the current design is that it is an ARPG that you don't just hack and slash and loot--you can lose/win the mini game in each town. It kind of reminds me of FastCrawl--a short goal-driven rpg where you either win or lose by accomplishing the goal (killing a boss monster). Even the ultimate goal of winning your freedom doesn't seem as important compared to that. Any ultimate epic goal should play into the town win/lose thing.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Amateur

It would be neat if you could get a random (fractal?) continent and starting location. Then, as you save, lose, or abandon towns, the map places these other towns on the map and you could return. It'd be cool of older towns could occasionally need a quest done, or whatever. Hey, maybe there could even be evil heroes ransacking towns and you might meet up and be able to defeat them and then liberate all their conquered towns, in addition to saving the ones in your quest chain.

Anyway, stuff for an expansion perhaps.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Amateur

I like that idea, Animation.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Expert

What I'd love more than several towns is to have the diplomacy, raids, random maps surrounding the town and hireable henchman as in Depths.

Some sort of merged expansion would be a sure purchase from me anyway. Perhaps have the 'overworld' maps easier but less rewarding than doing quests in the main dungeon...

Ah it t'would be grand.