Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Amateur

Default Game lacks Act type bosses

Suggestion, add missions for races that include act type bosses that are several screen length in size.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Champion

Is it wrong that I kind of want these kinds of ships to show up? I...kind of miss the old side-scrolling arcade-shooter type bosses. They'd be kind of fun to have show up randomly in sectors (one unique one for every 10 sector levels?)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Is it wrong that I kind of want these kinds of ships to show up? I...kind of miss the old side-scrolling arcade-shooter type bosses. They'd be kind of fun to have show up randomly in sectors (one unique one for every 10 sector levels?)
i was thinking the same thing while i was playing this game. i'd love to see the huge Alien boss ( or machine)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Elite

I tied a possible solution to this to the question of what to do about endgame/level 100/a sense of climax/closure in this thread:
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34314
Old 07-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Expert

Seems like some people have misunderstood the meaning of "lacking" something: just because it's not in the game doesn't mean the game requires it in any way, shape or form. I personally don't see the necessity of obligatory difficulty spikes, especially in a game as punishing as this (though it has admittedly become a bit softer with recent patches, it can still grind you up real nice in no time flat). If we're gonna have true badasses in the game, they should show up whenever they damn well feel like it! I'd love to see some ridiculous Stallones and Lundgrens (Schwarzeneggers left out because they got flabby and old) running about in the universe, but keep it random.

Then again, I like not knowing what to expect when I click the go button. Might just be me.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Elite

It's not just you.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Legend

I agree that full screen bosses aren't necessary. At the same time, I would say the bosses in the game need a buff. I have yet to encounter a challenging boss
(that managed to kill me even once), though the multipliers in the higher difficulty levels (25+) might make them tougher. What's your experience with this, Fluffybot?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Champion

That's because there's nothing specifically interesting, challenging, or really even *different* about them. They're just the same ships that take extra shots to bring down. They use all the same weapons, take the same blank-stares tactics to defeat, and drop the same largely pointless garbage as everything else. It's trash with a name.

That's why I brought up the old side-scroll arcade games as a basic idea of what to do with "bosses". They'd take specific tactics and skills to engage and beat, and they'd look and fight differently than anything else in the game. They might even exist only in specific pocket dimensions for a more unique combat experience.

Defeat boss = big legendary and fear bonus.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
That's because there's nothing specifically interesting, challenging, or really even *different* about them. They're just the same ships that take extra shots to bring down. They use all the same weapons, take the same blank-stares tactics to defeat, and drop the same largely pointless garbage as everything else. It's trash with a name.

That's why I brought up the old side-scroll arcade games as a basic idea of what to do with "bosses". They'd take specific tactics and skills to engage and beat, and they'd look and fight differently than anything else in the game. They might even exist only in specific pocket dimensions for a more unique combat experience.

Defeat boss = big legendary and fear bonus.
I think they may have some other powers that regular monsters don't have. I just don't really get to notice them because they die too easily.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Elite

I think one thing this game multiverse (DoP,DC,Kivi,DO) does and does pretty well is remain slender on resources while packing a lot of interesting mechanics/AI/decision trees into relatively small code. I'm not sure how multi-screen-size monsters would meld into the universe (how confusing if their minions are flying on top of them....and where do you aim? etc....), and they don't waste graphics files on uniques -- they just make them bigger.

I will say, the named/uniques should be even bigger than they are on-screen. They're notably larger, but could probably be upped a chunk to be very notable. I don't know if they need additional buffs or stats, because I'm only level 12 so far...more if you add in my dead game, but still I never made it to level 25, and if it's similar to DC, after levels 25/50/75 the gameplay & tactics needed change...because of diminishing returns on things that don't scale well (unless that's all been ironed out, but from we're talking about with shields I doubt it....).

Hats off to side-scrolling madness, but also that's not my type of game. <actually, I like Galaga Galaxa, whatever it's called.... but that doesn't mean I'm GOOD at it....>

I think one thing I like about DO so far is that I actually feel like I don't need to be a twitch-finger or give myself RSIs to beat up the baddies. It's probably one reason why I never did well at the arcades (the other being that to get good you needed an endless supply of quarters....).

Once I get the hang of getting on top of the missions and keeping them manageable, or the system itself helps us do that (crossed fingers), I'll be able to enjoy it for what it is more.... It's actually a little of a strategy game. If the races get a little more balanced out, it will be like riding the stock market but with insider trading allowed -- trying to figure out who has the advantage this time, and placing your efforts where they'll do the most good. A thinking game. With a little bit of twitch-finger action. That, I like. Just let's weed out some of the tedium.

Last edited by Crisses : 07-30-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: trying to be funny. What else...