Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Amateur

Default Need help starting this game!

I have a problem with many games. When I start to play, if the game doesn't explain exactly how to play or what exactly I'm supposed to do, I get annoyed very easily and basically just give up.

This has occurred with several games for me such as Cortex Command, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Dwarf Fortress without mods (I really want to play it, but I just can't!), A Valley Without Wind, SpaceChem, Space Pirates and Zombies, Miasmata, Conquest of Elysium, and the list just goes on an on from there. I'm no casual, and own a extensive amount of games of all different genres, but games like this always stop me dead in my tracks. The latest culprit is Dins Curse.

I figure this would be a good place to ask for help before I really begin myself. I want to enjoy at least one dungeon crawler in my life, one that seems to have atmosphere and some level of fun for me. I've tried Torchlight and Legend of Grimlock, but I dislike Torchlight and my problem with Grimlock is that I leave a game for any large amount of time, I forget what I'm doing and my progress. I want the opportunity to be able to leave the game for a large amount of time. I had a VERY brief try at Divine Divinity, but still got confused quite quickly about everything I could do and what I would need and not need and such ect ect...

So I ask of you, can anyone here offer me advice and support for a person such as myself in beginning this game and what exactly I am supposed to do? I made a warrior character and basically left all the options on normal, and the game instantly puts me in front of a god who told me why I am doing what I am, and about 10 other people right on the screen who want me to do tasks. That sort of thing gets to me, and I don't know anything. I get the whole story so far (far being the very first screen of the damn game) but am already swamped with options that I don't know will destroy the game for me or not.

So, can any one help me?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Amateur

i think you don't notice where is entrance of dungeon ? you have to enter the dungeon after you recieved quests from NPCs. dungeon entrance is only one in each town( it's usually placing near the shop npcs.) and you'll better to check the quest logs too, it's almost same as other ARPG. quest log will telling what player should do such as ' kill moster A at floor 8' or ' gather 7 items' etc. sorry for my bad english, i hope this will help.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Elite

These games do have a learning curve, and it can be a bit overwhelming at the start. Try not to get too frustrated. All will become clear. I used to make 1st person shooters (Duke Nukem 3D and many others), and I was as frustrated as you with RPGs. That's why I created a help site for new players to Din's Curse.

I have created a guide / walkthrough for Din's Curse. It pretty much explains what you need to do. So you can check it out at the link below.

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id71.html

I work for Soldak as their lead artist. Primarily, you check the people/Din with question marks; accept quests for level you are near (1 and 2 to start); enter the dungeon and fight monsters and solve the quests; and level-up and improve your character's gear to be a better warrior. Goals are to survive, and to save the town by solving quests.

All this is explained in the Quick-start at the link above. It's a bit to read, but you'll be rewarded if you spend the 15 minutes or so needed to get into the game.

Last edited by PixelLord : 08-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
These games do have a learning curve, and it can be a bit overwhelming at the start. Try not to get too frustrated. All will become clear. I used to make 1st person shooters (Duke Nukem 3D and many others), and I was as frustrated as you with RPGs. That's why I created a help site for new players to Din's Curse.

I have created a guide / walkthrough for Din's Curse. It pretty much explains what you need to do. So you can check it out at the link below.

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id71.html

I work for Soldak as their lead artist. Primarily, you check the people/Din with question marks; accept quests for level you are near (1 and 2 to start); enter the dungeon and fight monsters and solve the quests; and level-up and improve your character's gear to be a better warrior. Goals are to survive, and to save the town by solving quests.

All this is explained in the Quick-start at the link above. It's a bit to read, but you'll be rewarded if you spend the 15 minutes or so needed to get into the game.
Hello PixelLord. I've seen your guide before, but I basically stopped reading as soon as I saw the words "Choose warrior" in your guide. I hope I don't offend here, but I really dislike it when guides that claim you teach you how to play force you to play a certain way to learn. To me, a guide should teach me what I need to know to play, but not force me into playing exactly how the person who wrote the guide wants me too. To me, it's like if someone wrote up a guide for Dark Souls and wrote...

"Ok, pick this class, I don't care if you want to choose another one, pick this one because I like it. Ok, now get this weapon because it's good. There is no reason you should pick anything else because it's all crap and I said so. What? There are all these other options that look interesting? Screw them, do what I say."

Of course, I'm making it sound worse than it really is, but if I want to look up a guide, I expect it to tell me about how my different options are different and let me make my decision for myself. Hence it's guiding me to make a good decision for myself, rather than being more of a walkthrough.

As for the tips you just gave me, these are much more what I'm looking for, so thank you, but even this is going to fast for me. I'll make myself more clear, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this. In fact, I give up so many games basically instantly when they do stuff like this. The reason I am trying harder with Dins Curse is because I believe this is a semi randomly generated Dungeon Crawler and I think if I did learn to play it, it would be a very good time waster for me whenever I am bored, among with several other games.

So, let me say this. I picked my class and everything, spawned in front of the god guy, and started examining my surroundings. The people all want me to do tasks, I don't know who I should be doings tasks for and if they are good or bad, I don't know if I should buy anything, I don't know if I should fight them after they insult me, and this list just goes on and on. Hell, after 5 minutes of trying to figure out if I just stole something from the store (I clicked on an item, put it in my inventory, but I didn't lose any money nor was I trying to buy it, but it stayed in my inventory but is highlighted red?), a message came up saying somebody was starving to death or something. At this point I got scared, closed the game and cried.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Elite

Sorry you found the guide angering and not useful. The warrior is, more or less, the default character and was selected simply to demonstrate how the game mechanics work. Best wishes to you.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonDarkness View Post
So, let me say this. I picked my class and everything, spawned in front of the god guy, and started examining my surroundings. The people all want me to do tasks, I don't know who I should be doings tasks for and if they are good or bad, I don't know if I should buy anything, I don't know if I should fight them after they insult me, and this list just goes on and on. Hell, after 5 minutes of trying to figure out if I just stole something from the store (I clicked on an item, put it in my inventory, but I didn't lose any money nor was I trying to buy it, but it stayed in my inventory but is highlighted red?), a message came up saying somebody was starving to death or something. At this point I got scared, closed the game and cried.
In the world creation screen, pick Slow Pacing, Slow NPC Pacing, and Low Stress. This will keep things from getting out of hand while you figure out what is going on. It will also reduce the number of quests.

The critical quest-givers are in the center of town. They are the Warmaster, the Apothecary, and the Steward. You need to complete all of their quests (plus Din's) to finish the game. Everybody else is optional. If all three of them are dead or incapacitated (petrified, etc.), you lose the game. If one of them is in trouble, one of the others will have a quest to cure or replace him.

You can only do six quests at a time, so you'll need to pick and choose. If you decline a quest after choosing it, it will just go back in the list. Each quest lists the level where it can be found. You start the dungeon at level 1 and work your way down, so pick quests for levels 1 or 2 to get started. If you kill a quest monster you will get credit for it, whether or not the quest is on your list. For the collection quests, you must have the quest on your list for the quest item to show up.

You can't steal from the store. Items are red to show you can't use them, either because your stats aren't high enough or your class can't use it (e.g. a mage can't use swords or plate mail).

Hope this helps.