Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Din's Curse BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Elite

Default Comments Post 9.06 Patch

A lot of the changes seem really useful. Dark elf spellcasters are still dangerous, but not unfair.

I fought a special with thorns, lightning imbue, and a few other powers. Either he one hit killed me repeatedly, or I one hit killed myself repeatedly because of the thorns power. I guess that's the way it goes.

I still get pixelated fire effects every other startup or so.

I know it sounds churlish to keep complaining about the fire elemental after all that's been done to improve him, but... here goes.

I'm at level 38. I get 9 skill points per level. To me, that means that my skills should be upgraded until they cost 9 points or so per rank. So I should have two ranks in Fire Elemental. Well, with one rank, the boosted damage doesn't matter. He can't hit anything. I let him flail away at a totem for a while to see how he'd do, and he did... maybe 5 damage? I see the +3 levels per rank, and that's great. Next level up I'll put a second point into him to get him on par with my other skills. That will make him level 9, fighting level 40 enemies. I don't think its going to help.

Anyways, my personal schedule for what's "worth it" in investing a skill is generally to buy into the skill about the point where I can afford one rank per level up, and to upgrade so that continues to be true. So an eight point skill is probably going to show up around level 30, and go up one rank every 5 levels. Sometimes, if a skill is frontloaded in some way, I'll save up for a rank in it early on (like Smoke Screen or Plate Armor), but for something that requires regular upgrades, this is what I do.

Maybe my way of looking at it is wrong, or maybe my understanding of his balance is wrong. If so, ignore me.

But look at the other ways of keeping him current. If your goal is to keep him a certain level below yours (lets say you decide he's ok if he's 10 levels behind you), you'd need to buy your first rank at level 16 and then upgrade him every 3 levels. By my current level of 38 you'd need to get him to level 27 (rounding to a multiple of 3), which would require 8 ranks, which would cost you 92 skill points. That's kind of a lot, and it gets worse as he gets more expensive faster than your skill points per level improve.

Or maybe you want to keep him a certain percentage of your level, lets say, 60%. You'd want to invest in him at level 9, and upgrade every 5 levels. At my current level of 38 you'd want him at level 24, which would cost you 77 skill points. This is a little more affordable, assuming that its ok for him to be a percentage, but its still more than any other skill you're likely to have by far. At my level, 17 seems reasonable, or maybe 27. 77 seems far too much.

For reference, at level 38 you have 214 skill points.

Right now the best use for him (at the rank I've got him) is to summon him, cast Fire Shield on him, and let him take aggro for an instant. He'll generally die on the first hit.

Oh, and one time I summoned him and he followed me around attacking me over and over. I don't know why. He never hit.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Elite

I just saved a town by failing a delivery quest. Maybe not a bug, but anti climactic.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Champion

this has been around forever, but Paladin's mail armour skill says your armour becomes more efficient per rank, but the skill caps at 1 rank. Plate armour doesn't have a cap at all

holding down a number to attack a locked door (with Zeal, at least) makes the locked door sound repeat really quickly

Last edited by timeh : 02-26-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Elite

I put a second point into Fire Elemental. He still can't hurt totems. The level deficit is just too great.

I am also getting the overlapping locked door sounds. I was not prior to this patch.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Expert

Default Easy fix for pet level issues..

It seems to me that the easiest fix for the issue with underleveled pets, is to have them auto level with the player at like an 80% ratio.. (So if you were level 10, your pets would automatically be level 8) Plus bonus levels gained with extra ranks. In it's current form, as has been stated.. It's not really feasible to keep the pet's level up to appropriate/useful levels.. This way even if you put only one point into a pet skill.. it will still be somewhat viable, but certainly not good without more ranks.

Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Elite

I agree with you that summons should somehow be closer to the pc's level. I also agree with L337GTIMKV's comment on obelisk buffs - 20 seconds is too short to be of much use. I'd take the de-buffs being longer for the buffs being longer as well.

I've also had trouble with secret walls - with some wall types they are very easy to find, others it's virtually impossible. Either some additional distinction, or maybe a "magic mapping" type of potion might be nice.

I've used the fog of war reset to do new quests on previously searched levels, and it would be nice if the waygate locations didn't get lost when doing a reset.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Elite

Another minor observation :

Barrels and crates get shown along items on the ground and special objects (like Healthstones), but jars do not. That always struck me as a bit inconsistent.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
Barrels and crates get shown along items on the ground and special objects (like Healthstones), but jars do not. That always struck me as a bit inconsistent.
Somethings do not get shown because they are meant to be more hidden. I'm not sure jars should qualify for that though.
Patreon
Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Elite

By the way, why do already identified items don't show their proper names when dropped to the ground?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
By the way, why do already identified items don't show their proper names when dropped to the ground?
Mostly because the client doesn't have enough information at the time to tell you.
Patreon