Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Amateur

Default [Question] A few points regarding some skills.

After a little bit of a pause from Din's Legacy to give it some time to mature i've again been having fun trying to find new builds to try out. During this process i did notice a few things that i figured i might remark on.

Spellsword - Lightning blade
I would have expected this skill to synergy with the Sorcerer's "Lightning Mastery" skill. The tool tip suggests it does not though. Is the tooltip incorrect / is the synergy missing / is everything working as intended?

Spellsword - Flametongue
Same as above, but for the Fire Mage's "Fire Mastery" skill.

Spellsword - Charged
The "Charged" tooltip seems to hint at a bit of an odd skill progression. At level 1 the tooltip states "-50% Physical Damage". At level 2 the tooltip suggests "-49% Physical Damage" which seems to be a rather meager bonus. Is the tooltip incorrect? Or is there another buff here? (For example, more charged orbs at higher levels?)

Commoner - Hunting Shot
I may be dead wrong on this one - reading the .GDB files isn't proving to be my strong point - but might it be possible that this skill isn't included in the Archer's "Projectile Mastery" and the hunters "Split Projectile" skill as a target?

And a little question regarding damage calculation...
And speaking of the Spellsword's Lightning blade skill - how does the damage calculation work for it?

- Is it using physical weapon damage and then converting that amount to lightning damage?
- Or does it use weapon damage +Physical Damage modifiers and then converting that amount to lightning damage?
- Or does it use both +Physical Damage modifiers (For the input calculation) and +Lightning Damage modifiers (For the output calculation) thus benefiting from both damage modifiers?

Thanks in advance for the assistance with this one!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'll update the masteries to include Lightning blade and flametongue.

I just boosted Charged a little, but part of it is a rounding issue and the other is how numbers below 0 work in the game.

I believe projectiles mastery and split projectiles will work correctly with hunting shot.

Off hand I believe Lightning blade will work like like a physical attack and then change the damage to lightning at the end, but right now I'm running on very little sleep so I could be wrong.
Patreon
Old 01-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'll update the masteries to include Lightning blade and flametongue.

I just boosted Charged a little, but part of it is a rounding issue and the other is how numbers below 0 work in the game.

I believe projectiles mastery and split projectiles will work correctly with hunting shot.

Off hand I believe Lightning blade will work like like a physical attack and then change the damage to lightning at the end, but right now I'm running on very little sleep so I could be wrong.
Ah, thank you very much for that info!

Lightning Blade using physical damage... Now that actually makes for some interesting possibilities for a new build as there are a ton of skills that boost physical attack across the various classes. Pile on that its relatively fast so it should pair well with a slow but heavy damage two handed weapon for some extra damage. Add in that it had three hits a strike so trice the possibility to trigger support skills that activate on hit... And of course the chance to roll a a nice random skill mutation for it as a kicker. Well, i think this may actually work out really well!

Compliments on the new skill system by the way - the extensive cross classing and random mutations on both skills and characters will keep me entertained for a LONG time. Fiddling with skill builds is how i managed to get 211 hours in Zombasite and god knows how many hours in Din's (direct purchase, no steam time for that one). At least you know you did something right if you somehow entice a player to spend two hours in the character creation screen just making notes on interesting skill combinations that could warrant creating yet another character.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Elite

You can also use cast speed on lightning blade and Flametongue since they have the spell flag, which makes them even better than berserk in some cases (cause they are ranged abilities)

Last edited by Destro* : 01-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro* View Post
You can also use cast speed on lightning blade and Flametongue since they have the spell flag, which makes them even better than berserk in some cases (cause they are ranged abilities)
I didn't even consider that option yet, thanks! Though i now wonder if the build would actually work.

I was considering to pair Lightning Blade (Spellsword) with the Inspire Greatness (Minstrel) aura and the temporally Rampage (Reaper) buff for increased (melee) attack speed. And then padding the build out with the various passive / support skills in order to have them proc as often as possible. And of course skills such as Blade of Darkness (Dark Templar) for added damage and Multi-Strike (Blademaster)to hit even more targets.

That said i am now kind of wondering if lightning blade counts as a melee attack or if its considered (only) a spell. (In which case Multi-Strike and melee only support skills wouldn't synergize). I should probably dive into the gdb files some more as it wouldn't be the first build i make that's based on faulty assumptions.

That said it wouldn't be too much of an issue though as i suspect i could swap it out with the berserkers relentless strikes skill to similar effect (Though lightning blade would be superior).
Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Elite

It's a spell that does uses weapon damage to derive it's damage. This means that it is affected by weapon damage, things that affect weapon damage like physical damage, the related elemental damage, cast speed, probably spell damage (though unconfirmed). Basically they have the spell flag set to 1 in the gdb file. They are honestly really weird imo.