Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Interactive objects

In the dungeon crawl, I want to have more interaction with objects in the world. Depths of Peril has traps, doors, chests, torches, and probably a few other things. Kivi's Underworld added more types of traps, levers/buttons, and barrels. All of these things will probably be in the dungeon crawl, but I want more things.

It's my goal for there to be lots of things for the player to interact with on purpose, some things that can happen on accident if you aren't careful, things that change your strategy, some things that you have to choose which is the best action, and even some things the monsters can interact with. I'll give an example of each of these to show what I mean.

Doors, levers, and chests are conscience choices by the player to interact with (usually).

The player might blow up a barrel on accident if his cast fireball explodes too close to it.

The player might notice the barrel with explosive substances right between a group of monsters and instead of hitting the monsters with the fireball he might blow up the barrel and hurt all of the monsters.

I'm planning on some doors being locked, but the player will have some choices, don't bother with the door, find a key, or bash down the door and make a lot of noise.

Maybe some monsters will know how to use fountains or doors.

Anyway, these are just examples to get your thoughts going, I have a much longer list of things I'm already planning and probably more interesting than my few examples. What kind of interactive objects would you like to see in an action RPG that's primarily underground?
Patreon
Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Expert

Interactive objects to spice up a dungeon:

1) Moveable crates or such, that could be used to create barricades or block a door shut. But, this might introduce too much interface complexity to a fast paced hack-and-slash game.

2) Support beams, which would cause a cave-in (blocking off that corridor) if enough damage is done to them (intentionally or accidentally).

3) Shrines, which grant temporary boons (Diablo II style).

4) Mushrooms which release a cloud of spores when disturbed. This could cause status effect (positive OR negative) to the player or to monsters.

5) Mine cars. These could either be a hazard (don't be standing on the track when they come whizzing by), or a non-magical way to teleport to another part of the level.

6) Ice (or mud) "slides". These would also sort of act as one way teleporters, but could be turned into corridors if interacted with (use fireballs to melt the ice).

7) Vines to chop through (or spider webs!).

8) Monster eggs, which hatch if disturbed. These could either be weak monsters (making the eggs a source of bonus experience) or terribly powerful monsters (making the eggs a hazard to be avoided). Or, terribly powerful "predator" monsters which leave the player alone but attack OTHER monsters in the dungeon. Different sorts of monster "nests" could serve these same functions.

9) Water, lava, etc. that you and most monsters can't cross, but that flying monsters could. That "uncrossable" status could be changed by spells or whatever.

10) What about other forms of wildlife in the dungeon? Like, weak "critters" which grant no experience and drop no loot, but DO interact with the game world in different ways? Like, you could herd them to use them as monster bait, or maybe they shriek when killed, and the shriek would scare some monsters off (or attract others). Or, if you poison them (by killing them with a spell or weapon that does poison damage), they could in turn poison other monsters that eat them.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Elite

Some nice ideas there from SharpCarlos.
  • Maybe lighting levels could affect monster activity/actions. This would add a tactical aspect as to how well lit you want your party to be at some stages...
  • Interactions between electrical spells and areas of water.
  • Gas AOE spells or natural occurances that have different effects. They could even be flamable!
  • Pickaxe for mining. Maybe this would give you access to gold/jewels at the risk of accidently digging into a nest of some type...
Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Very cool ideas guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
1) Moveable crates or such, that could be used to create barricades or block a door shut. But, this might introduce too much interface complexity to a fast paced hack-and-slash game.
I've thought about this and have some of the same hesitations.

Quote:
2) Support beams, which would cause a cave-in (blocking off that corridor) if enough damage is done to them (intentionally or accidentally).
I didn't think of support beams for some reason, but I have a bunch of ideas along these lines. Casting an earthquake spell might should be very interesting in this game.

Quote:
3) Shrines, which grant temporary boons (Diablo II style).
We will probably do something like this. I'm still figuring out if we should go the powerup route like Kivi or the shrine route like Diablo. Right now I'm leaning towards the shrine way (forces players to use it them, can store hundreds of powerups, etc.)

Quote:
4) Mushrooms which release a cloud of spores when disturbed. This could cause status effect (positive OR negative) to the player or to monsters.
I've thought of similar things, but a field of mushrooms that will release a poison gas if destroyed would be an interesting obstacle.

Quote:
5) Mine cars. These could either be a hazard (don't be standing on the track when they come whizzing by), or a non-magical way to teleport to another part of the level.

6) Ice (or mud) "slides". These would also sort of act as one way teleporters, but could be turned into corridors if interacted with (use fireballs to melt the ice).

9) Water, lava, etc. that you and most monsters can't cross, but that flying monsters could. That "uncrossable" status could be changed by spells or whatever.
These would be interesting, but might be a bit difficult to do.

Quote:
7) Vines to chop through (or spider webs!).

8) Monster eggs, which hatch if disturbed. These could either be weak monsters (making the eggs a source of bonus experience) or terribly powerful monsters (making the eggs a hazard to be avoided). Or, terribly powerful "predator" monsters which leave the player alone but attack OTHER monsters in the dungeon. Different sorts of monster "nests" could serve these same functions.

10) What about other forms of wildlife in the dungeon? Like, weak "critters" which grant no experience and drop no loot, but DO interact with the game world in different ways? Like, you could herd them to use them as monster bait, or maybe they shriek when killed, and the shriek would scare some monsters off (or attract others). Or, if you poison them (by killing them with a spell or weapon that does poison damage), they could in turn poison other monsters that eat them.
These would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
Maybe lighting levels could affect monster activity/actions. This would add a tactical aspect as to how well lit you want your party to be at some stages...
I've planning on something along these lines. I haven't decided which monsters would make sense to change their behavior with more or less light though and what will change.

Quote:
Interactions between electrical spells and areas of water.
If we have water anywhere I'll have to do something like this.

Quote:
Gas AOE spells or natural occurances that have different effects. They could even be flamable!
I do have some plans along these lines also.

Quote:
Pickaxe for mining. Maybe this would give you access to gold/jewels at the risk of accidently digging into a nest of some type...
This sounds interesting. I'm not sure how to do it without the players constantly destroying the entire level and keeping it looking decent.
Patreon
Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
This sounds interesting. I'm not sure how to do it without the players constantly destroying the entire level and keeping it looking decent.
I guess I was thinking more of a static location rather than actually digging out the level. Basically a "Dig here?" prompt at some specific locations that will either net you riches or get you instantly surrounded by some rather annoyed wildlife...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, it could be more of a you can see a gold vein and you can go over and mine it for some random amount of gold, but it can either release a monster or just cause a lot of noise. That could be interesting. Similar to the choice of bashing open a door.
Patreon
Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Expert

The game Baroque has switches that would change the creatures you'd have to fight on future levels. Depending on what equipment you had already found you could decide what enemies you'd have to deal with later on. They also changed the tileset used. I'm not sure if It would work with persistant equipment.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Oh, it could be more of a you can see a gold vein and you can go over and mine it for some random amount of gold, but it can either release a monster or just cause a lot of noise. That could be interesting. Similar to the choice of bashing open a door.
That's what I had in mind.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Expert

all the ideas so far sound great. here is what i would like to see:
- doors that can be locked, unlocked, or that can be smashed open
- barrels to smash
- treasure chests to open
- barrels or chests that are trapped
- levers that open doors like in kivi
- shrines that either drop a power up or give a stat boost
- healing or mana shrines
Old 07-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekrystal10 View Post
- doors that can be locked, unlocked, or that can be smashed open
- barrels to smash
- treasure chests to open
- barrels or chests that are trapped
- levers that open doors like in kivi
- shrines that either drop a power up or give a stat boost
- healing or mana shrines
I think we will have all of these, some might be named differently though.
Patreon