Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Din's Curse BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Elite

Default Din's Curse Feedback

Random thoughts after playing and taking a few notes. These are in no particular order.

1. My character at the moment is a weaponmaster/fire mage. The idea is to use the three non attack fire mage skills, the fire shield, the one that makes your weapon do extra fire damage, and the summoned elemental, and use those fire powers to augment a primarily melee character. We'll see how it goes!

2. Hearing Din's voice was interesting, since I recognize the guy from Kivi.

3. If you are talking to a character like Din, who has a voice soundtrack, and you click the button that makes him talk until the voiced quote comes up twice in succession, you get two voices talking simultaneously.

4. I like that the NPCs know to go back home if you try to use "switch places" to drag them around town.

5. The wizard displays the bonus mana gain per intelligence point as +0.0 per point.

6. I had a hallway blocked by a lifestone. As far as I can tell it was completely impassable, and no alternative route existed.

7. Jayne, a weapon seller underground, told me that his own weapon "ain't for sell." That's either dialect or a typo.

8. I have a magic hammer. Its shaft glows, but the head does not. Intentional?

9. There are dead bodies about. There are townspeople who go adventuring and sometimes die. Why not link the two in some way?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Champion

-Under Dynamic World section of the manual:

"They game will change depending on what is going on
in the town when you arrive"... The "They" should be "The".

-Positive

Big fan of the smooth menu navigation and proliferation of tooltips.

-Maybe?

Add a gender tooltip just to mention it is not consequential versus the other choices. (Or is it somehow?)

Somehow, perhaps the post Torchlight world, I was surprised that there wasn't a Shared Stash option among Hardcore characters even as a toggle based on level or anything. That is, a shared stash for the hardcore exclusively alongside the usual one for non-hardcore characters. Something to consider adding in considering Torchlight might well have made a standard of it now?

It'd probably be a good idea to enable a chance to look at the entire potential skill pool of each main player class at the creation screen via right-clicking their name or some such. People will put many a thought into it anyways so it might as well be that much more on the forefront of character creation prior to jumping ingame only to slow things down to ponder/potentially start a new character without doing anything.

Last edited by getter77 : 02-03-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: last impressions of the night most likely...tomorrow it gets real.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Elite

To get around the lifestone, you can actually destroy it. If you click on it and then press the "1" key, it will attack whatever you have in focus. Should work on manastones, too.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Amateur

hehe on the first character I started the first room on lvl1 was tiny with one way out, a door I couldn't open
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Elite

A few more:

1. I have completed two quests and not gotten acknowledgement of their completion. One was a "Gurfaut killed my mother" quest- I killed Gurfaut, but it never recognized that I did so. Another was an "avenge..." quest, where I killed the moster I was supposed to kill, but never got the "quest complete" acknowledgement.

2. The words "Shared Stash" flicker up and down between an above and below the box position whenever I am moving.

3. I locked my computer while quitting one time.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Amateur

yeah. get some name tag flickering sometimes
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Just some really quick replies and most of these are just to help you guys out, not defense about whether or not something is good or bad.

If something is in your way, you can probably attack it with your use slot buttons (I just use 1 for the normal attack) or you can ask them to switch places with you.

You can look at all of the skills for all of the characters if you pick hybrid and then hit one of the choose buttons.

Jayne is a Firefly reference.
Patreon
Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadfan View Post
5. The wizard displays the bonus mana gain per intelligence point as +0.0 per point.
I actually came here to report this myself. Not sure if it's a display bug or an actual bug in the mechanics of the skill. Definitely worth noting either way!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Champion

I was having a blast after I got the hang of things. I made a pretty boring warrior with some passives just to see how things worked. I started feeling a bit overwhelmed after about 6-7 levels. It didn't seem like there were enough melee weapons to keep up with a sword-only spec. It was too easy in the first town then got a lot better after that.

A few notes I took while playing:

1. Minimap stutters a bit with some weird dot movement.

2. The highlight rectangle used for skills-you-know and equippable inventory slots is hard to see. If the rectangle were even 1 pixel wider I probably wouldn't miss it so easy.

3. Pixies that I ran into were overly talkative. I'm not sure if its an ambient kind of sound they make or one they make when they see me, but it happened a bit too much to be comfortable. Not sure if this is intentional or not.

4. What does an item with (Ego) do?

5. I'm not sure why there are so many town gates all over town. What is their purpose?

6. My first town finished at around level 5-6. Is it supposed to be that short? It seemed like I had a lot of dungeon to go and plenty of quests.

7. I failed every package deliver mission I tried (about 3-4). I'm not sure yet if its my own newbiness or if the timers are short.

8. I was in an undead heavy level and a guy I was supposed to rescue got turned undead and wanted to eat me. He still had the "!" over his head as he attacked. This isn't a bug or complaint, just pure awesome.

9. When I made another character (Fire Mage/Necromancer) the game froze on Create New World. That is when I came here to check the forums.

I REALY like the character creation options. There are so many class combos I want to try.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Expert

So far I'm having fun with it. I had a little trouble catching on at first that the second row was actually the tree selection (hey, not feeling good tonight so not promising all neurons are in sync) so it might be good to add something on that screen indicating that the second row is the choice of skill tree. If everyone else thinks that was completely obvious I'll accept this as me being dense tonight though

Is it intended that if I have already achieved a sub-goal of a quest that I havent taken yet that I will get automatic credit for it if I discover the quest giver and take the quest? I can understand this behavior for named mob defeats in the game but how about the beginner quests for more simple things like defeat 3 skeletons?

ok, after thinking about this I think that it probably IS good that this is the current behavior. When playing MMos one of the things I have ALWAYS hated was being sent out on two kill mob x quests in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganazer View Post
8. I was in an undead heavy level and a guy I was supposed to rescue got turned undead and wanted to eat me. He still had the "!" over his head as he attacked. This isn't a bug or complaint, just pure awesome.
LOL... yeah that actually is pretty cool. Nice indicator that there was a lost opportunity there.

Last edited by DarkShrike : 02-03-2010 at 10:53 PM.