Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.lamothe View Post
Shadow, that sounds _awesome_. A few thoughts:

1) is it possible for the cave-in to completely block the path to town?
- if so, can the player port back?
- if the player ports back, can they get back to the blocked-off area?
It could temporarily. The player can destroy cave ins, but it takes time and eventually might cause a lot more durability damage than usual.

Quote:
2) what do you think of map features that "jam" portal spells, to make getting stuck even worse? (it could mean time to start a new town)
There are already no portal spells for various reasons. Although there are gates on every level for fairly quick transport around.

Quote:
3) can the enemies intentionally try to start caveins to harm the player or block them in or out?
4) if you do some of the meta-game stuff we talked about earlier, could a group of "goons that hate the player and have tracked him down to this part of the world" lay in wait and try to cave-in the player when he least expects it?
I guess that depends on what you mean by intentionally. Chaos Lords have a stomp that can cause earthquakes and thus cave ins, there are cave in traps, and there is going to be at least 1 cave in/earthquake related quest.
Patreon
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Expert

Ok, so the cave-ins wouldn't be "you're stuck", but might mean "your weapon is going to be soooo smashed after this" (good reason to use some of the weapons that just dropped, if any).

On the gates, gotcha. What do you think about some monsters "jamming" those gates so if the monster is close enough, you can't use the gate?

On the intentional cave-in, the more general idea is having "hunter" groups of monsters that actually actively try to find and kill/trap/otherwise-hinder the player, as opposed to the just-mill-around monsters and the build-up-an-attack-against-the-town monsters (which are very cool in DoP, by the way).

Not that you need jammers or hunters, just thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Well when you are running away from a horde of monsters having boulders in the way counts as stuck (to me at least).

I might make there be a way for monsters to take control of the gates.

The jammer/hunter idea would be cool.
Patreon
Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Well when you are running away from a horde of monsters having boulders in the way counts as stuck (to me at least).
Good point
Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Legend

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but here goes.

Would it be possible if in some caves in the game, a cave-in/earthquake might cause a chain reaction which in turn will cause the cave to start spawning boulders that roll from the top of the cave/dungeon. The boulders would have to be avoided because if they aren't; and they hit you; you will not only get hurt, but you will also be stunned for a few seconds just to make it realistic.

That would be kind of like Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark with the boulder following him in the beginning. I think it would be cool if that could be implemented.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

I have thought about doing the rolling boulder thing. I keep putting it off because I worry about it looking like crap. It would be cool though.
Patreon
Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Expert

Quite likely we wouldn't notice what the rocks looked like, we'd be too busy running for our lives
Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quite likely we wouldn't notice what the rocks looked like, we'd be too busy running for our lives
That's probably true.
Patreon