Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Champion

I'm glad some of the useless skills are finally going to be looked at. I've been hoping for that to happen for quite some time.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Legend

One thing that i think would be cool with how the townspeople act is their dialogue. Theres so many places where a flashing sentence or 2 would be cool. For example, I use this one all the time-the apothecary is poisoning the water supply attacking and starting fights all the time...but why. Wouldnt it be cool if i read under some guy's name-"Why'd you sleep with my wife aldren?" Aldren-"Because i knew that it would piss you off." A fight then ensues. This would not only be more realistic then the usual, but would give you the perspective as to why things are happening. Instead of picking which of the 2 people you kill to stop a fight, you read that the one guy is obviously a jerk, gives you more choice and more realistics too.

Im not gonna say that all of the guys can be explained. The world with the nutcase apothecary should be under the psycho modifier where people are just nuts. Still this would make sense.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Amateur

I know we here who love your game (myself, my wife, and my two friends who live in San Fran and Austin) wish there would be better items to buy in stores - none of us have ever bought a single item since drops are so plentiful AND they are where you find the good items. This seems like such a wasted opportunity to enhance the enjoyment of all the vendors (we have bought bags though).

Even if you made really good items very expensive, it would give us a new reason to save money and go into the dungeons to make more. Love Din's!

This next one is from my wife, "Lelenae":
NPC quests are loved. I would love to be able to arm the NPCs so they could fight the invasions.

I am a healer and it is really hard to target an NPC during an invasion to heal them without opening up the "chat" options with that NPC.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrShock View Post
I know we here who love your game (myself, my wife, and my two friends who live in San Fran and Austin) wish there would be better items to buy in stores - none of us have ever bought a single item since drops are so plentiful AND they are where you find the good items. This seems like such a wasted opportunity to enhance the enjoyment of all the vendors (we have bought bags though).
My anecdotal experience is opposite yours. Almost half of my characters' items are bought in stores, and the quality compares favorably to all but the best drops.

This result may be a function of my lingering in the towns with better-quality merchants, who also tend to have higher restock rates. If I'm going to farm items, I might as well do it in a town where the merchants offer another source for good items.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baki View Post
While balancing please consider the differences between time and animation time. this makes skills like cleave (Time 1.5, Time till dmg ~0.48) or whirlwind totally imbalanced.

im sure there are more but i do not know them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch notes
increased cleave damage mult per level from 0.125 to 0.135 (alstein)
To be honest i am disappointed. the best melee attack skill got a buff
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Amateur

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
My anecdotal experience is opposite yours. Almost half of my characters' items are bought in stores, and the quality compares favorably to all but the best drops.

This result may be a function of my lingering in the towns with better-quality merchants, who also tend to have higher restock rates. If I'm going to farm items, I might as well do it in a town where the merchants offer another source for good items.
I find about 30% of my items in stores and 70% in battle, which is fine with me. I like that I need to find (and fight for) the best items and not spend my time shopping to do so.

The exception to this rule is for jewelry, rings, and amulets which 99% of the ones I use are bought.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrShock View Post

Even if you made really good items very expensive, it would give us a new reason to save money and go into the dungeons to make more. Love Din's!
I've mentioned this before and I will again, though others will clearly disagree. I think at the very least, the poverty option should be the default option for Din. We get too many good items too fast, making the experience of finding a powerful item less enjoyable (and rendering cursed item virtually worthless).

Quote:
This next one is from my wife, "Lelenae":
NPC quests are loved. I would love to be able to arm the NPCs so they could fight the invasions.
I believe you can arm the NPCs, either by giving them items directly or giving items to the warmaster. I never do it myself though.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Expert

In my last town today I had a message that one of the townspeople had armed the town! I usually give my duplicate artifacts, elites, and rares to the town anyway, along with any shwag I can't use. But it was cool seeing them take care of themselves for a change.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
In my last town today I had a message that one of the townspeople had armed the town! I usually give my duplicate artifacts, elites, and rares to the town anyway, along with any shwag I can't use. But it was cool seeing them take care of themselves for a change.
That's all find and dandy, up until you get to a vendor, see something you like and have it plundered by an NPC!!!

Saw a kick ass BOW for once in my life and had it bought out from under my nose by an NPC... WTH!?!? Not impressed.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Elite

Default Item-Material Balance

I've noticed that I find an awful lot of plate & mail items. This makes very little sense given that cloth & leather should be more plentiful especially in a war-torn economy. It's very rare that any character is able to use Plate items, so it's just liquid assets in the long run.

I suggest tweaking it. Not a big overwhelming nerf -- I get plenty mail & plate items with the alteration I'm suggesting -- but I'm finally able to actually ARM my leather/cloth wearing characters because there's just a bit more leather/cloth drops -- and MOST of my characters are limited to leather & cloth armor!

Here's what Din's Curse has:

Code:
	// Armor Balance

BalanceArmorClothBase	 8.0
	BalanceArmorLeatherBase	16.0
	BalanceArmorMailBase	24.0
	BalanceArmorPlateBase	32.0
	BalanceCapeBase		 8.0

BalanceArmorClothPerLevel	 4.0
	BalanceArmorLeatherPerLevel	 6.0
	BalanceArmorMailPerLevel	 8.0
	BalanceArmorPlatePerLevel	10.0
	BalanceCapePerLevel		 4.0

BalanceArmorPiecePercentChest		22.2
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentBack		16.7
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentLegs		16.7
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentHead		16.7
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentFeet		11.1
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentHands		11.1
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentShoulders	11.1
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentWaist		 5.6
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentWrists		 5.6
Here's what I've been playtesting:

Code:
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentWaist		 8.6
	BalanceArmorPiecePercentWrists		 8.6

BalanceArmorClothBase	 26.0
	BalanceArmorLeatherBase	16.0
	BalanceArmorMailBase	14.0
	BalanceArmorPlateBase	12.0
	BalanceCapeBase		 10.0

BalanceArmorClothPerLevel	 10.0
	BalanceArmorLeatherPerLevel	 8.0
	BalanceArmorMailPerLevel	 6.0
	BalanceArmorPlatePerLevel	8.0
	BalanceCapePerLevel		 8.0
As you can see, I'm not going for a big change, it just flips around the %'s a little so that you get a little less plate & mail. It also makes little sense why it's harder to get a wristbrace than a whole chestpiece -- especially in terms of constantly sticking your hands into battle & the actual materials involved in making either one. From mucking around with crafting, it's much easier to make a leather wrist-brace than a leather vest (yes, I've made both) It's just a bloody tube you can put around your arm.

Should these numbers add up to 100%? They didn't in the original %'s. Is the remaining % non-armor drops? Do the "back" drops count? what pieces are those? i.e. is that deprecated?