Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Amateur

Along with suggestions of what should be included, here are some things that I recommend not implementing (at least in an initial release):

- A huge game world. Moderate in size and dense with interaction and activity is what many game developers should aim for, but instead they release huge worlds that offer relatively little content. The result? Jogging. Lots of it. Or teleporting around, which makes the game feel "instanced" and not "real."

- Player Character Good/Evil Choices (dialogue options, evil quests, etc). It's getting popular these days, but no doubt a huge expense of time. An alternative would be to make all NPCs attackable, with consequences.

- Set items. This system is seldom useful, due to it most often being overpowered or underwhelming. Unique items also bring about odd balance issues and if implemented, their effects should be indirect (percentage or effect-based rather than damage or defense) and/or novelty (making your character glow, making him bigger/smaller, or some really amazing looking capes).

- Lore. I know, this is contrary to what was initially suggested, but I think that inconsequential lore not related to immediate tasks should be left out of the game until much later releases, and the mythical world should be left to interpretation or expansion, with revelations yet unknown to players. DoP's lore was neat and all, but as much of it had no significance to the character's adventures and there was so much very secret information simply given away rather than discovered, it made everything feel so past-tense and unimportant. Maybe release patches with quests that unveil dark truths behind a certain NPC or monster, or write forum stuffs about the lore.

- "Main" storyline. Because the current concept revolves around dungeon crawling, how about not releasing a major storyline with an "end game" and instead starting out with a game that offers a player some interesting adventures, and release more over time, always giving the player an option to "retire" if they wish? I like that game style because as with most RPGs sometimes we just want to do more after we've beaten the "final boss" but many games tend to offer very little after the fact. My ideal game is beating an infamous and almost legendary monster/villain, going home, selling his loot, and then telling everyone at the tavern about it, hearing about some other dangerous caves and their inhabitants in the next town over.

But these are just some of my personal preferences, and I've been known to have odd taste.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Elite

Default Lore

I'm struggling with the idea of what lore means to gamers. I think the short stories worked well in Depths of Peril and I may write more for Depths of Peril II. It's sort of a thing I want to keep special for Depths, at least for now and maybe for always.

Many games (as far as I know) wrap story around main quest lines. This we will not do for Game 3 either. At this point, there will be no main quest line, rather, many scenarios to discover and play.

In Depths I had an indepth chat story through the NPCs. Most people probably never noticed that little drama play out in town. I seriously doubt I'll do that again either.

What I'm leaning toward at this point is story about bosses- giving them a background and personality, then letting that affect the quest line.

So... what does lore mean to you guys? What kind of story/writing do you want to enjoy in game 3?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Expert

I like the modern western rpg style. Spiderwebsoftware and amateurs manage it. You just need to fit it to the structure of the actual gameplay.

Game writing is different then normal linear stories. Its about creating atmosphere and interesting characters. Its not necessary about plot as much as immersion in a world.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizoku View Post
- Set items. This system is seldom useful, due to it most often being overpowered or underwhelming. Unique items also bring about odd balance issues and if implemented, their effects should be indirect (percentage or effect-based rather than damage or defense) and/or novelty (making your character glow, making him bigger/smaller, or some really amazing looking capes).
I'm not sure what we are going to do about set items. I like the concept, but that never work out as well as they could. They work better than usual in DoP because of the shared stash, but there has to be something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizoku View Post
- "Main" storyline. Because the current concept revolves around dungeon crawling, how about not releasing a major storyline with an "end game" and instead starting out with a game that offers a player some interesting adventures, and release more over time, always giving the player an option to "retire" if they wish? I like that game style because as with most RPGs sometimes we just want to do more after we've beaten the "final boss" but many games tend to offer very little after the fact. My ideal game is beating an infamous and almost legendary monster/villain, going home, selling his loot, and then telling everyone at the tavern about it, hearing about some other dangerous caves and their inhabitants in the next town over.
Well it doesn't look like we will have a "main" storyline. It will be random and dynamic instead. After you beat one adventure, you can move on to the next one, which will be very different.
Patreon
Old 07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Elite

Looks like art assets are going to begin to be created soon. Does anyone have things they'd like to see (or not see) in this newest game?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
Looks like art assets are going to begin to be created soon. Does anyone have things they'd like to see (or not see) in this newest game?
Bioluminescent mushrooms as light sources in caves. I don't know why, but it's always seemed cool to me.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodSpectre View Post
Bioluminescent mushrooms as light sources in caves. I don't know why, but it's always seemed cool to me.
Hehe, I like the sound of that. Bioluminescence can give a nice eerie feeling to caves or dark forests.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
I can't wait to see what Soldak comes with next.

Based on my early impressions of Kivi, I thought I'd post to say how much I like the outdoor environments in Depths of Peril. They're great! The forests are the best. There is this little Ultima/old school feel, plus the variety of sprites for the bushes and plants etc, all the grass, all the outdoor environment sounds, and with the day/night cycle personally I find the forest areas to be sometimes enchanting or even a little eerie.

I have played only 6 missions of Kivi so far but didn't see any outdoors, and I am really hoping to see outdoor areas in the next game. It makes for more variety and "rhythm" as well, whereas dungeons tend to be more square and linear (paths and branches), the outdoor areas let your explore in any direction. I suppose that was a conscious decision for Kivi as it is much more "mission" based than DoP.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
I think the multiple town idea works better for Depths II than the dungeon crawl, although we are improving from Depths I which only has one town ever. Each game starting in a different town with many various problems to solve is going to be fun. Unless there were underground towns, I don't know how to work multiple towns in one game???
So there is also a DoP 2 ? Wow..

I had this image in my mind about a successor to DoP, where it didn't necessarily have multiple towns, but instead the south west was a docks, with the sea, and boats would come and go at given intervals (like random quests that seem to be on a hidden timer), and those boat would bring news of things afar, quests, loot.. maybe going on the boat and paying woudl tkae you directly to other maps with a coast and then some inland, which can also be randomized. I'm not sure wherre this boat idea was going though other then exploring new areas.

Randomized towns wouldn't work well imho, it's really nice in DoP, and in Diablo 2 as well, how you have a fixed layout and you get to know the place and all its little "nooks and crannies".
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Elite

There isn't a DOP II yet, but we plan to make it at some point.

The river idea is interesting.

The multiple towns in the same game idea, I'm not sure how that would work with the games we've made and are making now. I like the idea of having multiple towns in DOP II, but only one town per game. You'd level into new towns at intervals.

Steven's vision for soldak is creating fun games he wants to play, and so far that's been short games with ongoing characters rather than a wideopen land with really long storyline quests (hinse, the multi-town problem). He wants an evolving world that doesn't sit still until you do what you're supposed to. Fire and rain change the world. The monsters change the world. Nobody is going to wait for you.

Last edited by Shadow : 07-25-2009 at 09:33 AM.