Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 AM
Amateur

Default Other covenants' NPCs just... stop? (Demo)

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what but I've noticed something odd recently. It seems the NPCs in other covenants just sort of get... stuck in town. Like, they go up to a quest-giver or a vendor and just... stop. Most common stopping places seem to be the apothecary, beastmaster, and gambler, but it can be anywhere.

Now, their covenants continue to grow in power and I see reports of them making item discoveries. They go to war, defend their homes, and raid others'.

However, I played maybe... ten games in the past few days, trying out the various classes, and I never saw an NPC actually adventuring past the starting zone. Out of probably 60-70 quests I completed, I only saw another covenant complete one before I did (there were easy ones I didn't touch for an hour and still nothing). I never saw them complete an NPC recruitment quest.

I even tried the game on "High" aggression, and it made the other covenants' stats keep up, or even outpace mine, but I never saw evidence of it actually happening. Once in one of my games a plague broke out and I had to talk to the apothecary to cure it. When I went to her, there were at least five NPCs just standing around her in a circle, as if they had gone to get the quest and just froze. I never saw them move for the rest of the game, but their factions kept up and when they were eventually attacked or declared war on someone else, they teleported back to their stone and raided/defended properly.

Is this a bug or is it just something intended to make the town look a little "alive?" Are NPCs encounterable out in the wilderness? Do they attempt to complete quests?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Expert

Yep, I see this all the time as well. Not sure what it means.
-cc
Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Elite

I get this too. only once has an NPC completed the quest first, and i beat him to the questgiver.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Elite

I've met them out in the field, in higher level areas as well. I try to aviod them though. More experience to be had when someone else isn't thinning the ranks.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

They do adventure past the first zone, it just gets harder and harder to find them out there. Also whether or not they solve quests has a lot to do with what their level is compared to the quest level. The closer the levels the more likely they will or can solve the quest.

I do believe there is a bug still that makes them get stuck occasionally. Luckily it doesn't really effect the game much.
Patreon