Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Legend

I did some measurements, and on my computer the first steady stage at 59 fps lasts about 8:30 minutes. Then there's a descent period which is hard to pin down. It drops for about a minute, then is a little steady for about 50 seconds, then goes down sharply for 20 seconds, finally to settle at 40 fps for about 6:20 minutes. The descent then begins again and goes in fits of about a minute at a time.

These time measurements should be taken with a grain of salt. It's very hard to know when the fps drops and when it's just jumping around, which happens a lot during the drops.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Champion

Laptops generally have inadequate cooling. They can't run at 100% CPU and 100% GPU, as a game makes them do, for long without overheating. They slow down to protect themselves when they get too hot. Once you quit the game, the machine returns to low-power idle mode and rapidly cools, allowing the frame rate to recover for awhile when you reload the game.

Try taking the machine outside (if it's winter where you live) and see if the slowdown takes longer to happen.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
Laptops generally have inadequate cooling. They can't run at 100% CPU and 100% GPU, as a game makes them do, for long without overheating. They slow down to protect themselves when they get too hot. Once you quit the game, the machine returns to low-power idle mode and rapidly cools, allowing the frame rate to recover for awhile when you reload the game.

Try taking the machine outside (if it's winter where you live) and see if the slowdown takes longer to happen.
I'll try your advice, but here's why I don't think that's the case here:
- I don't see this issue in anything but DoP and DC. I play other heavier games like Thief 3, GTA San Andreas, Deus Ex 2 and Darwinia. All of them strain the CPU and some the GPU, and there's never a continuous drop in fps.
- The title screen of DC is not intense. That's precisely why I was so surprised to see the fps drop: it's very light on the CPU and the GPU. I thought it was the demand of the game that was straining my CPU, but it doesn't seem like that's the case at all.
- If it were a heat issue, then what I should be seeing is this: heat would build up, the CPU would throttle down, the fps would go down, and then as the CPU/GPU cools, the fps should go back up. Instead there's a downward spiral.
- If it were a heat issue, quitting the game and starting it up immediately again should throttle my CPU/GPU down again (because of the remaining heat), causing the fps to start lower the second time. That doesn't happen -- the fps starts at 59, then slowly drops exactly as it did the first time, implying that it's not a heat issue, but a software issue.

What it *looks* like is some kind of engine issue. It could also be something specific to my machine, which is why I'd appreciate others doing this experiment, especially if they have older machines.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Legend

OK guys. Just did an overnight test on my wife's computer, and there was no drop in fps at all, which means it's just an issue with my computer. Maybe it really has to do with overheating.

Sorry for all the commotion, and sorry for blaming it on the engine, Shadow.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Legend

In case anyone else encounters the same computer issues as myself, I'd like to post my solution. I'm not sure if it's a driver issue or something else in my laptop, but running the game in a window fixed the performance on my computer. The same applies to DoP.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Amateur

I find that window performance is much worse than fullscreen. It generally is as a principle. The dungeons are always pretty fast, but the town can be quite laggy. Which would be almost fine, except there are fights in towns in this game.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Expert

I've been having the same performance issues as well. DW expansion, latest drivers, latest version. The new dungeon types are instigators and drop my FPS by 50%. I also see the performance drop after playing for over an hour. The longer I play, the worse the FPS.

I've gone into Windows and stopped services and killed processes in order to reduce the CPU footprint. This has helped to some degree, but I don't get the 'normal' FPS until I shutdown and restart the machine.

-cc