Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Kivi's Underworld > Kivi's Underworld game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Amateur

Exclamation A bit lightweight

Really really loved DOP,wasnt a big fan of the covenant side of it but it did grow on me ,but the fact that you could start a game with one enemy covenant kill them then carry on was great i loved the amount of gear, the random lvl's ,the fact it had a really solid rpg system aswell.Shame that most of what made DOP great has gone in KU.

The only improvement for me was the fantastic amount of characters and the fact it was a great little dungeon crawl oh and the graphics and sound seemed better.If anyone finds away to mod this and add in the gear and rpg system it would be one the the best ARPG's ive played, the extra character's alone with loads of collectable gear would be a dream game.

But a big pat on the back to you guy's for atleast being one of the few Game dev's left with the guts to try something different instead of just churning out another FPS clone,i hope my comments are taken as constructive comment's and if you ever combine these two games i think you could have a winning formulie.(Y)

Last edited by madpaddy : 01-06-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Expert

i was thinking along the same lines... My concern is more around the lack of random maps and such. It just seems that despite having the opportunity to play many types of characters it may become somewhat rote to run through the same areas twenty times...

I'd be interested in what folks thought after playing through a few characters...

-cc
Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Expert

Yes, KU is a lighter game than DoP but it's still great in my opinion. I think they accomplished what they were going for with this game. Random maps and monster placement would be awesome. Let's wait for the hardcore dungeon crawl. I've tried about 5 or 6 characters and they each play differently which changes the experience each time. However, I have not beaten all 30 levels with each of those characters. I just pick at random.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Elite

I don't mind the system as is, it keeps things casual. Which is what I'm looking for from this game. I do have high hopes for the user created levels, though- if it works, I'll make one or two, and that will add an awful lot of replayability to the game.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Champion

Overall for me KU really like lightweight.. That is my opinion only.. I'm not a fan of heavy dungeon delving unlike DoP, where the world is moving with you.. the characters too.. I like the way there are many pre-made toons for different tastes but I miss the part where you customize every part of your toon.. Also, I like the graphics of Kivi.. It's like a little better.. But in total, I'm not just a fan of KU..
Old 01-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Expert

I think it's great for when I don't have a long time to play but I really need some stress release! I usually play Diablo II, but it's often hard to keep it short, it being highly addictive (plus I put a lot of thought into skill points and equipment--which takes more time), so Kivi's Underground works well, but still has a lot of variety of choices of which character and map to play, and even which trophy to go after.

It's also fun if I'm not feeling well, and I'm bored but not really up to sustained playing or much concentration.

With 30 levels and numerous characters, it's a deal for $20, IMHO.

Jude
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Expert

Completely agree with you Jude.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
I think it's great for when I don't have a long time to play but I really need some stress release! I usually play Diablo II, but it's often hard to keep it short, it being highly addictive (plus I put a lot of thought into skill points and equipment--which takes more time), so Kivi's Underground works well, but still has a lot of variety of choices of which character and map to play, and even which trophy to go after.

It's also fun if I'm not feeling well, and I'm bored but not really up to sustained playing or much concentration.

With 30 levels and numerous characters, it's a deal for $20, IMHO.

Jude
Yeah I have read that KU is for a short term playing time only.. Like in your situation where you are sick or just stressed.. Maybe I'm not yet giving it a chance despite the fact I only played up to level 3.. Missing 1 or 2 secrets along the way even though you searched every nook and cranny makes me so not interested hehe
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Elite

What I like about the secrets is that you don't have to have them! Yes, I like getting them, but in my first play through, I don't worry about it. Then I have something to shoot for later.

Also, I like playing random characters! Some are better in certain levels though.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Champion

Yeah, I know you can "cannot" collect them all. But the feeling that you only got silver cup or missed a secret character or haven't unlocked a SS symbol bothers me. Yeah, characters are cool especially the Kivi (since I always pick him).