Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Legend

Default Performance

When playing for a long time (more than 2 hours), I notice significant slowdown. Instead of 20-30 fps I get 7-10 fps even in town, and the main screen drops from ~40fps to around 13. I'm not sure if it's because of a memory leak, but memory usage goes up from around 90MB to around 170MB. Quitting the game and restarting it solves the problem.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Expert

I wonder if this is somehow related to the frequent slowdowns that was mentioned in the Demon War thread.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Amateur

Yesterday I also noticed my game was running around 150mb. It shocked me considering it's really not a very demanding peice of software... And I had been playing a while, this is on DW 1.015. The fps seemed to get a bit more choppy but Im not totally sure what the #'s on that were
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Legend

Just to clarify, I'm not certain what the proper memory footprint is for DC. I don't want to imply that 170MB is too much -- it's just an observation.

To see your fps, press ~ and then type in "fps 1" and press ~ again to close the panel. I noticed a big difference several hours in, though I can't be 100% sure about that either -- my computer is pretty old and lately, since I've been gathering pets with my necromancer build (and thus there's more calculation involved), fps has been lower throughout.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

170MB is pretty reasonable for DC. The game will purposely let itself get up to about 192MB before it starts freeing unused assets.
Patreon
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
170MB is pretty reasonable for DC. The game will purposely let itself get up to about 192MB before it starts freeing unused assets.

Good day sir!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Legend

Shadow, there's definitely some kind of slowdown going on. Playing DoP I eventually got down to 3-7 fps on my machine - almost intolerable. Quitting and reloading managed to get me up to 30-35 fps. Granted, I have an old machine so I can notice this slowdown fairly easily. Since I get the same effect in DC, I'm guessing that whatever is causing this still exists in the current engine.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Champion

I don't notice any slowdown, even after many hours. My computer is several years old. With 6+ players there's some strangeness, but that's more network related than anything else.

170MB is such low memory usage I could run a dozen instances without even noticing. My browser is using more than that right now. :V
Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Expert

Yes Shadow there is something going on, my game has been jumping from 20 fps to 10 to 50 to 60 over and over. Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Legend

Default Really Interesting Experiment

I accidentally came across something very interesting tonight.

I left DC running on the title screen, showing the knight and the monsters. Even my poor old laptop (1.3Ghz Celeron, 1GB RAM, RADEON Mobility 9600) can handle that screen at 59.6-59.9 fps. I then had to put the baby to sleep. 30 minutes later I come out and find the same title screen running at 29 fps!

Others can try verify my results. Show the fps count with ~, fps 1, and ~ again, and leave DC on the title screen. Note the fps count you get. The slower your computer, the better, since there's a better chance you'll see the performance impact. Now wait 10-15 minutes. I don't know exactly how long because I haven't timed it yet. The fps count remains steady, until a certain point when it will start to go down dramatically.

My 59.6 fps quickly went down to 40 fps within 1-2 minutes. Then, the level stayed at 40 fps for another 10 minutes or so, and then it went down past 34 fps... I didn't bother to check how low it went.

What this means is that the slowdown has nothing to do with the game calculations but with the engine. Something periodic is happening that kills performance slowly without the game even starting, and it's especially noticeable on my computer since it's slow.