Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default Indie RPG of the year poll

RPGWatch has a cool Indie RPG of the year poll. Do us all a favor and go vote. Hopefully you will vote for Depths of Peril, but if not at least vote.

I say cool because indie games don't get much press attention, so a poll specifically about indie RPGs is cool in my opinion.
Patreon
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Elite

Looks like Eschalon: Book 1 will win this one hands down. Never even tried it - must give it a go sometime.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Eschalon is an interesting old school turn based rpg. It is certainly worth a look. It's not surprising that Eschalon is winning that particular poll though. The people that regularly visit RPG Watch are much more likely to play a straight up RPG, rather than an action RPG.
Patreon
Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Elite

Yes, I noticed that bias in the comments posted below the poll.

I have played a good way through the demo of Geneforge 4 though, but just haven't found the time to back to it. It's good but just lacks the killer hook. Blasted DoP eating all my gaming time...

Last edited by Kruztee : 12-21-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: for grammar
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Amateur

If it's any consolation, I'm at least one person who discovered Depths of Peril due to the RPGWatch poll being posted on the Eschalon boards. I imagine there are others like me as well.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I don't mind Eschalon winning the poll. I actually expected it considering which site the poll is on.

Hopefully we will get some new people, some of our players will find some other cool indie games, and in general hopefully a few more people find out that there are some alternatives to what the retail market spits out.
Patreon
Old 12-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Expert

Echelon looks mildly interesting, but it seems a one trick pony. Even though there are some claims on it being non-linear, there's really not a lot of replay (that I can see) in the title. That's one of the big sell points for me on Depths of Peril.

-cc
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiousChaos View Post
That's one of the big sell points for me on Depths of Peril.
Agreed.
The roguelike elements of Depths of Peril (random nature of things) keep things interesting and different in every game.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Amateur

I d/l'ed the demo for Echelon....played 'bout 1/2 hour 'til I died the first time. I prolly won't be playing it again...not my style I guess. Didn't jazz me at all.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n4nc3 View Post
I d/l'ed the demo for Echelon....played 'bout 1/2 hour 'til I died the first time. I prolly won't be playing it again...not my style I guess. Didn't jazz me at all.
The comments on Eschalon's boards vis-a-vis Depths of Peril are similar: "I tried it and it wasn't my cup of tea" type stuff. It's just a question of style, really. One is turn-based and story-driven, the other is smooth-time and action-driven. I enjoy both but for very different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiousChaos View Post
Echelon looks mildly interesting, but it seems a one trick pony. Even though there are some claims on it being non-linear, there's really not a lot of replay (that I can see) in the title. That's one of the big sell points for me on Depths of Peril.
Again, simply a question of style. Depths of Peril gives variation in terms of what you do; Eschalon gives variation in terms of how you do it. While it's true that there's some difference in the different character classes in DoP, ultimately everything comes down to how you go about killing baddies. In Eschalon the differences are much more pronounced in that there are multiple different paradigms for how to approach the game and how to build your character, some of which don't involve much killing of your enemies at all.

Last edited by Josia : 12-26-2007 at 10:12 PM.