Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Legend

Default Items and replayability

I love the way items (and therefore skills) are spread out throughout the levels. My concern is, however, that because it's deterministic, replayability will be diminished. Maybe the item levels (and order ie. first lasers than those other beams etc) can be shuffled per ship? It would also give a big incentive to play co-op, since you'd be able to get items that only exist at that specific level in other players' worlds.

Last edited by Bluddy : 07-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Elite

Or just use the shared stash, yeah.

I think it's definitely an issue; you don't get any "interesting" items for the first 10-15 levels.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
Or just use the shared stash, yeah.

I think it's definitely an issue; you don't get any "interesting" items for the first 10-15 levels.
The shared stash is actually an argument against implementing this idea. Suppose item X is extremely powerful, but only occurs currently at level 30-40. If I can play multiple ships and stuff my shared stash full of this item at all levels (say every 15 levels), I've homogenized the game. I don't know how many people would actually do this, but I could see it happening if some items were especially good. It's much harder to do with multiplayer.

Do we even need a shared stash in this game? I haven't found any reason to put stuff in my stash, mostly because of the item rarity problem. Do people use their stash?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Elite

Yeah, I meant for the shared stash to be a counterargument.

But heck yeah, I use my shared stash.

The way the game works now, I might have a high Tactical (for example) for my level but not be able to find anything that can use it. I can also use the stash to dump good items that I can't equip because I haven't been developing that stat. Plus there's just not having to hunt around for stuff that might not even appear until it's already obsolete.

My shared stash is full of stuff like Self-Destructs, thrusters, higher-level EMPs, and energy regen items.

Last edited by Chumpy : 07-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I meant for the shared stash to be a counterargument.

But heck yeah, I use my shared stash.

The way the game works now, I might have a high Tactical (for example) for my level but not be able to find anything that can use it. I can also use the stash to dump good items that I can't equip because I haven't been developing that stat. Plus there's just not having to hunt around for stuff that might not even appear until it's already obsolete.

My shared stash is full of stuff like Self-Destructs, thrusters, higher-level EMPs, and energy regen items.
OK then the only way I can think of to allow for truly random item variation is to create 'worlds', and each ship could belong to a 'world'. A shared stash would only work for the same world. It's definitely a lot more complicated than I would have liked it to be though, so it might not be practical to do this kind of item shuffling, as nice as it would have been.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Elite

Maybe just tweak the levels to give more viable build options earlier?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Legend

Quote:
Maybe just tweak the levels to give more viable build options earlier?
That's definitely a good idea. We need several good item alternatives in the early game.