Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Drox Operative 2?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drox Operative 2?

For those of you that follow us on social media or our forums this isn't a surprise, but I've started working on the design of what will probably end up being Drox Operative 2. I say probably because to me design is kind of an exploration and you aren't completely sure where you will end up. I'm pretty sure it will end up being Drox Operative 2, but Din's Legacy was originally going to be a mutating, permadeath, generational character type of game. The mutations is the only part that stuck (the rest just didn't work well enough with the mutation system).

Currently, and this all could easily change, I have 3 focuses to make this game better than the first Drox Operative.

1) Combat/action: I'm looking to make the moment to moment side of things a bit more fun. This will probably mean things like faster acceleration, faster turning, and maybe even strafing to make movement and dodging a bit more fun and important. Weapons might be more powerful, but rely less on auto-aiming. I'll probably also try to see how real momentum makes things feel.

2) Graphics: I'll at least be getting it up to Din's Legacy tech wise: VBOs, normal mapping, better shadows, and better lighting. Just doing this would make the game look a good bit better than the first game. It might even go faster and Drox was our most CPU friendly game.

3) More detailed systems to add more depth to the exploration, gameplay, and interactions between everything. By this I mean things like a planet could be rich in minerals. After discovering this planet, selling this information to a race might be very profitable, it could greatly help that race build fleets of ships once colonized, and it could also be a weak point for sneaky Operatives to disrupt or even destroy.

Again these are things that I'm thinking about now, but could easily change. Also these are just a small glimpse of the ideas I'm already thinking about.

Finally I would like to stress this part, comments and suggestions are always welcome!
Patreon
Old 11-01-2019, 05:28 PM
Champion

Hi !

Drox is my favorite of your games.

I "only" want another Drox, but better deeper smoother, as i "only" want a great hack&slash with spaceships.

So, that's it for feedbacks. Your focus seem well placed, so far.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Amateur

If you're looking for some inspiration for combat mechanics, may I suggest checking out two other hidden gem indies?

Starships Unlimited:

http://www.apezone.com/starshipsunlimited.php

It's a 4x pausable real time strategy game, but it has a unique tactical combat system I've not seen replicated anywhere. Each turn you choose a maneuver from a list that grows the more XP the ship has. Every weapon system has a specific firing arc, so combat turns into a furious game of cat and mouse where the two ships are trying to bring the enemy into range while avoiding being targeted themselves.

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages

https://ringrunner.net/

It's an asteroids-style newtonian shooter with a massive selection of ships and components that in many ways resembles the customization from the Armored Core games. One particular thing to note is the game's heat and energy management systems and the many ways they play off one another to keep the action going.

I've given more detailed suggestions in the Drox forum itself but my number one suggestion for Drox 2 is less offscreen dice rolls, more interactive moving parts.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Maker View Post
If you're looking for some inspiration for combat mechanics, may I suggest checking out two other hidden gem indies?

Starships Unlimited:

http://www.apezone.com/starshipsunlimited.php

It's a 4x pausable real time strategy game, but it has a unique tactical combat system I've not seen replicated anywhere. Each turn you choose a maneuver from a list that grows the more XP the ship has. Every weapon system has a specific firing arc, so combat turns into a furious game of cat and mouse where the two ships are trying to bring the enemy into range while avoiding being targeted themselves.

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages

https://ringrunner.net/

It's an asteroids-style newtonian shooter with a massive selection of ships and components that in many ways resembles the customization from the Armored Core games. One particular thing to note is the game's heat and energy management systems and the many ways they play off one another to keep the action going.

I've given more detailed suggestions in the Drox forum itself but my number one suggestion for Drox 2 is less offscreen dice rolls, more interactive moving parts.
Wow, those games look amazing on first glance. Right up my alley. Going to give them a shot. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Amateur

Bear in mind when playing STUN that the game defaults to autocombat. Turn that option off.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Amateur

Default Drox 2 Thoughts

I'm a big fan of D.O., but I'd like to see smooth game play, thats the most important thing. As for some general suggestions, Please don't force us to spam points in Command to get a bigger ship. Maybe instead only let command give you up to 2 extra slots in each equip slot type? and have the actual levels of the ships grant bigger sizes, so say, some thing like 1 slot in each every 33 levels? Also, I'd really like to see more viable defensive options, I had to make a mod for Drox that let you actually build for a def type or hybrid. So that means, more hull options with hull regeneration, more armor options with armor regeneration, ect and hybrid options would be very nice. -- or Computers that just give large bonuses to dif. types of regeneration, say a computer slot that gives say 75 shield regen a second.(level 100 example) but have these options for all the types of defenses. Skill based game play is great and all, but if you can't keep your ship up, or have to spam healing items every time there off cooldown it won't feel good to play I think. Healing items should be used only in desperation, not as a "as soon as its off cooldown" type thing. all that being said, i'd love to see some better cloaking options that keep you hidden, not just "as soon as you are seen by an enemy" These ships should cloak and only be seen if an enemy ship can do a scan pulse that checks for cloaked ships. I'd also love to see some ships that can phase, as in, Shift detentions to avoid taking damage, but also while shifted, they can't deal damage. or an 'Evasive action' type of use computer that increases your chance to dodge incoming damage at different values. movement does need drifting, I'll say that, thrusters should also help you turn faster or more effectively the higher your thrust is. helping you to stop faster and accelerate faster.

all that being said, I'd also love to see ships that arn't combat focused, that have say, some sort of flag that lets them be ignored or less likely to be attacked, so that they can 'Mine, craft, search for resources, negotiate, or even run trade caravans to other systems for EXP and money. It would let alt characters have a reason to exist, no more One character wonder. so you'd have your combat ship, built for dealing damage. A ship that you could play that lets you farm money/resources/rep/ect. that you could use to upgrade your other ships, things like that you could unlock on your account, so they affect all of your characters(ships) but these goals should be hard/time consuming, its an ARPG after all. I want to get so many rep points with a faction, and then that lets me say, have them offer a special service to me, or get faction discounts, or recruit them as a follower, things like that. say you spend a lot of time helping a faction(this effects the account not just the individual character) that the end-game for that faction is unlocking the ability to upgrade gear, by adding up to 3 additional stats to an item, no matter the rarity, having this as an account goal would really make me want to grind rep for that faction. But with changes like this, you'd have to have the game save the rep for your account with each faction so it would not be a 'by the game' type thing, these would be very long lofty goals. I like that every faction had a unique thing they could do for you in the original game, but it was available from the start, they need to be things you unlock with time and serous investment in said faction. I'd also like to see some sort of balancing act where you may be grinding rep with one faction, but that could potentially lower your rep with another faction. that way you can't just build for every thing. This means that every faction would have to have a mechanic that is REALLY GOOD, and very desirable. A faction with a bad reward is a faction I would ignore.

Sorry for the long post, but I think its very important to have lots of end game viable builds/play styles and lots of things to grind for, or even scenarios where you have to fight a like, super capital ship thats like 75% of the screen, and has multiple phases and stuff, like a raid boss would be. not just so over powered but a ship that you have to fight for a long time, and has phases, think shaper in Path of Exile. boss fights would be amazing, if done correctly.

All Defensive options should have light, medium and heavy component versions. hybrids would help too.

Skills. Agreed, only really have pulse weapons(AoE novas centered on the player) and lasers be auto- target.
I'd really like to see missiles be a type of skill where you hold down the button and it puts a bunch of red cross-hairs on the target and then when you let go, it fires all the missiles at once. the limit of missiles can be on the weapon, or by how much energy you have, up to you really.
Warheads should be 2 to 10 min. cooldowns with Big arsh AoE and it can kill you if your in the blast radius.
Mines should have larger AoE and Trigger Radius, allowing for a 'Trapper' type play style, maybe even with some sort of distress beacon you can cast out that taunts enemies to investigate its location.
Rail guns/Ballistic weapons should fire much faster, i'd say like every 0.35 to 0.50 so you get that 'Shoot'em Up!' Feeling. Faster travel time, higher energy cost.

Energy in general should feel very important and some thing you have to take care of, like say, if your weapons cost a lot of energy to use, you need to figure out a way to restore energy fast, be it Stacking energy regeneration, energy on kill, on hit, when it, when you use a non-combat item, when a crew member boards an enemy ship, ect. energy management should be a thing. not to where it slows down combat, but it needs to be vital to your survival. ---Note: In the Original Drox, you had to equip like 4 to 6 energy leech light components just to keep your energy up. this was not fun. please let that one be much better then it currently is, at least 3 to 4 times as strong, or make a legendary version or some thing, lol.

I'd love to see utility items. Say, automated scanners that pulse out and scan for hidden resources/enemies/treasure/quests or distress beacons. Computers that can repair your ship, automated nano ships that swarm around you shooting healing beams kinda things. Better minion support, say you could have some sort of mining ship, that you outfit with a drone bay to protect you while you collect resources. or be able to gain the ability to still mine/gather things while cloaked, so you're not attacked. this would only be helpful if you implement my stealth cloak idea, where the enemies have to actively scan for you with like some sort of radar that pulses out from there ships and have varying AoE ranges. You could also have a utility that will auto find enemy ships that attack you from stealth kinda like a trajectory finder. Maybe a heavy component thats a drone that flies around and scavenges ships or nodes/planets ect. so you don't have to.

CAMERA. Please zoom out! It feels soo close to the screen! I wana see ALOT I'm not saying EVE levels of zoom out, but at least double what you have in Drox 1.

Also, Every ship should have a designated crew area, based on ship size, no longer considered 'Light Components' They would have there own tray.

Crafting should be a thing, but maybe have it where you can only start crafting on a white item, and when you click to upgrade it, maybe have the game generate 2 to 3 possible stats, and you chose the one you want out of the 2 or 3 choices. and maybe an option to force a specific stat on the item at a high cost. Also these items would be there own tier(a color not currently in use with the normal color tiers you use) and they could have up to say, 6 stats on them. This would let players be on the look out for white/grey item base types to pick up and try to craft into some thing that might be on par or slightly better then Legendaries. Crafting should be expensive. Crafting Resources would be account wide. not character bound.

I think thats all that came to my mind at this point and time. sorry for the long post!

Last edited by HuntingU : 11-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Expert

Smile

Mutations implementation in Drox,could be difficult,due to variability of races of Drox agents.As i think it could be that Drox agent find an ancient ship of an unknown origin(could be few variation of ship look like),which has adjusted to the race of the new pilot(initial settings of the ship and improvements), and then as an option to obtain mutations of the ship to look for ancient technology(Dark Star One game have that,but in there player choose in what direction to upgrade/mutate) or as in Din's Legacy second line of experience for pumping mutations.

About Combat: auto aim was huge part in first Drox game,so if you want to make less auto aiming weapons,then maybe make aiming and firing on mouse and movement on arrows or WASD,but i still think that it could be an optional for autoaim.About movement can look StarCom Nexus and about movement and strafing look Star Valor and VoidExpanse.

About Graphics:in each new game the graphics are improved
compared to previous games,so its up to you

About Systems:make some planets have satelites(moons),that can give different bonuses to main planets,also maybe planets should move around suns(actualy not many devs do that,only Space Rangers 1&2 come in mind).

Last edited by Mithur : 11-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.