Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Champion

I've only just gotten around to installing the 17 patch for DoP, but it really brings the game to life. The new shadows option creates a much more lively world (though my X1300 struggles to keep up) and when zooming out a bit past the default, the perspective view is amazing when out in the open fields. I'm not sure why you'd say it looks weird, perhaps because the fish eye effect seems a little stronger, but that's easily remedied. I love watching the tree tops come by so close when walking through wooded areas, it shows me that the outside world of DoP is much more alive than the underground world of DC.
In love all over again.

Last edited by Maledictus : 06-23-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictus View Post
I've only just gotten around to installing the 17 patch for DoP, but it really brings the game to life. The new shadows option creates a much more lively world (though my X1300 struggles to keep up) and when zooming out a bit past the default, the perspective view is amazing when out in the open fields. I'm not sure why you'd say it looks weird, perhaps because the fish eye effect seems a little stronger, but that's easily remedied. I love watching the tree tops come by so close when walking through wooded areas, it shows me that the outside world of DoP is much more alive than the underground world of DC.
In love all over again.
OK I gave it another chance and you're totally right. The fields in particular look really good, and I love how you can actually see the borders between areas now. It just took some time to get used to the change, and I was too trapped in my preconceived notions to give it a chance.

Also I agree that in general, DoP is a much better looking game than DC. The thing that DC has that DoP and Kivi don't have is fully rotating character models -- I only realized that recently. This makes the animation look much better.

And BTW since you got me to try it out again, I've spent the whole afternoon playing DoP. Dang that game's addictive.

Last edited by Bluddy : 06-23-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Champion

Quote:
Also I agree that in general, DoP is a much better looking game than DC. The thing that DC has that DoP and Kivi don't have is fully rotating character models -- I only realized that recently. This makes the animation look much better.
Yes, noticed that too a long time ago. The thing is, the DC implementation of that isn't very elegant. The characters still only move in 8 directions and when choosing a direction that isn't one of those, the character zigzags (correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's how I remember it). Looks a little silly. I like the way Diablo 2 handled that "limitation" much better; orient the character in one of the 8 directions that comes closest to the direction the player wants to move in, and then move the character along the line the player chose, keeping the char facing the earlier chosen orientation. This could lead to a little "sidewayswalking", but it's better than DC's nervous current solution. This isn't that big a deal in DoP because the models and movements are more limited when compared to DC. In a way DoP is better because it's older, more like the 2D bitmap stuff (like Diablo 2).

Of course this might be my rose colored reminiscing old-school bitmap art loving brain talking, but still.

The coolest thing I've found now is that all my mini-mods I created for DC work fine on DoP, making the experience that much nicer.

Try these cam values for a slightly better viewpoint (in my opinion):
r_viewCloseDist 400.0
r_viewCloseZ 0.7
r_viewFarDist 800 (might be even better when using 850 or even 900)
r_viewFarZ 1.4

Last edited by Maledictus : 06-23-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictus View Post
Yes, noticed that too a long time ago. The thing is, the DC implementation of that isn't very elegant. The characters still only move in 8 directions and when choosing a direction that isn't one of those, the character zigzags (correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's how I remember it). Looks a little silly. I like the way Diablo 2 handled that "limitation" much better; orient the character in one of the 8 directions that comes closest to the direction the player wants to move in, and then move the character along the line the player chose, keeping the char facing the earlier chosen orientation. This could lead to a little "sidewayswalking", but it's better than DC's nervous current solution. This isn't that big a deal in DoP because the models and movements are more limited when compared to DC. In a way DoP is better because it's older, more like the 2D bitmap stuff (like Diablo 2).
I think DC uses the exact same mechanic as in DoP, just with rotations added so the change of directions isn't as abrupt. The key here is that the game engine sees the world in terms of a grid of squares. A character or item can only occupy the center of a square/several squares. When you traverse the grid, you have to go in one of the directions that will take you from square to square. If you allowed going in any direction on a grid, you'd have characters bumping into each other and meeting in between squares.

Many modern games implement things differently. They allow characters to stand in almost any spot, essentially on a very high resolution grid. This is what's done in a game like Freedom Force and most RTSs nowadays. This allows you to walk in any direction, but requires some more collision detection between characters. Not sure which one D2 uses.

BTW I think the new space game would really benefit from non-grid-limited movement. As a spaceship, you want to be able to move in every direction.

Quote:
Try these cam values for a slightly better viewpoint (in my opinion):
r_viewCloseDist 400.0
r_viewCloseZ 0.7
r_viewFarDist 800 (might be even better when using 850 or even 900)
r_viewFarZ 1.4
I'll give them a try.

Last edited by Bluddy : 06-23-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
BTW I think the new space game would really benefit from non-grid-limited movement. As a spaceship, you want to be able to move in every direction.
The space game doesn't use the grid.
Patreon
Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The space game doesn't use the grid.
Great! BTW Shadow, what was the reason for the grid in the first place? Is it because it makes things like collision detection with the environment simpler?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Great! BTW Shadow, what was the reason for the grid in the first place? Is it because it makes things like collision detection with the environment simpler?
Yes, it makes collision detection and path finding much simpler.
Patreon