Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative 2 > Drox Operative 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2021, 01:53 AM
Amateur

Default AI Tornado tuning

Hi Soldak,

Been loving Drox 2 but I have a few questions around targeted/non targeted weapons and defence, no matter how high i boost my defence targeted plasma weapons seem to totally wreck me. I have also tried boosting EM res also to no effect.

I have been killed only a handful of times from other types of AI but tornados make up 95%+ of my deaths across multiple ships

Advice appreciated but unless I'm missing something important this seems massively over tuned?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2021, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, since they can literally miss if you maneuver your ship out of the way they don't go through the normal attack/defense calculations. From my side, I still need to add something (defense partially works, critical misses, etc). From your side, right now you mostly just need to avoid the attacks as much as possible, but you could increase your resistances as much as possible.
Patreon
Old 09-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Amateur

Ah ok, yes even with 300 speed its very hard to dodge/outrun and the AI doesn't stop giving chase so you have a huge stream of plasma just following you. Also the AI wont run out of energy shooting at you.

Its extremely frustrating that out of everything in the game this is the only weapon type that I die to over and over, its at the point I skip systems with tornados, I imagine its over tuned for PVE as well?

I feel having defence work differently with manual to auto target is inherently broken and will cause you no end of grief in balancing the mechanics.

My suggestions,

1. Remove the ability of weapons to auto target, make everything roll against defence to hit by default.
2. Add a module you can equip to enable auto targeting of any weapon but still rolls vs defence.
3. Add an option slider to the long range target lock so you can tune the distance before it will re target
4. Make beam weapons penetrate or chain to make up for no default auto targeting
5. Allow missiles to home by default
6. Don't allow torpedo to home ever but do massive DMG and AOE
7. Add some options around editing the mouse cursor to help manual targeting so I don't have to use a 3rd party program to keep track of the cursor
Old 09-12-2021, 08:12 AM
Amateur

Tornado's are indeed troublesome.
Perhaps anything that does not roll hit or miss could have a slight fractional damage multiplier based on hit and miss. My main ship in has been a fairly tanky and hard to hit lithizoid plasma boat so it is often hard for me to notice powerful enemies. I am level 86 and have died I think 14 times disproportionately from Tornado's as well now that I think about it. Comsubables work well.