Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Kivi's Underworld Open Beta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Expert

Default Comments after first play.

First of all: wow. Reading about this on the web site and in the interview, I didn't quite get it, but now that I've played it, I'm amazed. As with DoP, you've created something familiar (it's an action/RPG), but unique. Can't wait for the full release. Here are some specific comments, based on one play-through of just the first adventure:

1) The animation seems smoother than DoP.
2) The quick-play vibe, as evidenced by the fact that health and mana potions are "instant use" on pick-up, is great.
3) I love the whole "skills as loot" thing. The fact that you can only carry three makes for interesting choices, but ALSO encourages you to go nuts and USE those skills, instead of storing them all up for later.
4) The overall structure of the game is great. It seems like it's going to track, for each adventure, whether I've beaten it with each character, right? That makes for some fun replay value. And the scoring system, encouraging me to do cool stuff and go for the better trophies, is also cool. I missed silver by only about a hundred points, and I'm itching to try again.
5) Similar topic: I like the idea that I get rewarded with points I can spend to upgrade ALL my characters. So, I get all these little adventures with all these characters, but I ALSO get an overall feeling of progression.

Dislikes/Questions/Suggestions:
1) I know this isn't Depths of Peril, but I miss the ability to just click on a monster once and have my character continue to attack. I don't see that making me hold down the left mouse button adds anything to the game.
2) Related comment: more than one hit to destroy a barrel? I guess that problem goes away once I've upgraded my characters a bit, so maybe that's cool.
3) I wish there was a visible icon representing my right-mouse-button skill, that was ghosted when I didn't have enough mana, and lit up when I did.
4) Since you can't travel back up, I think there should be an "are you sure?" confirmation box before you go down a level.
5) Is there a way to remove one of my three skills, other than using it? I wrote that note while I had "Rage" sitting there, threatening to cause my health to drop if I used it. But, after using it, the hit seemed pretty minor (unnoticeable, even), so I guess it's no big deal.

Finally, one thing that I thought would be a "dislike", but now I like: the lack of randomly generated levels. Now that I've played the game and I "get it", I'm all for the hand designed levels. The careful layout of the monsters, the hidden secrets, etc. Nicely done. It would be a very different (and less interesting) game if the levels were just random mazes.

Oh, and since it's a beta test, I should list the bugs I found. Except that I didn't find any. The thing ran like a dream. I'll try harder to break it next time.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Amateur

This is quite a unique concept. Kind of like an action game with rp features. The tutorial is definitely a plus, simple and straightforward. I had a little trouble with the "secret door" part of the tutorial though. All the way along it was telling you key combinations and how to do things but when it to the secret door it kind of left you on your own. I was thinking because everything was a key combination I needed to do something rather than just end up walking next to the door. Maybe add a bit of a hint, it is a tutorial, it shouldn't just leave you on your own in a strange game while you learn the controls.(That's just me anyways).

I did run into one show-stopping bug though. I finished the tutorial and started the first mission of finding the keep and part way though the first level I picked up a temporary skill point item. You get a little red square with a yellow cross flashing just above your toolbar. When I clicked on that to take me to the skill screen to assign the point my screen went black and crashed the game. The error message my computer gave me was:

display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver name was nulddmkm (not sure if that means anything).

I didn't get a screenshot unfortunately, it only showed for a brief period, just long enough for me to read it.

One thing to maybe add in the tutorial is kind of explain what you have to fall back on when you run out of mana. I think it's just a matter of switching button clicks. I'll have to fiddle a bit more and see the connection.

I'll definitely be continuing to try this game, it's very different from anything I've ever played. I'll see what else I run into.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
4) The overall structure of the game is great. It seems like it's going to track, for each adventure, whether I've beaten it with each character, right? That makes for some fun replay value. And the scoring system, encouraging me to do cool stuff and go for the better trophies, is also cool. I missed silver by only about a hundred points, and I'm itching to try again.
Yeah, you can see if you have beaten a particular adventure with each character on the pick character screen.

Quote:
2) Related comment: more than one hit to destroy a barrel? I guess that problem goes away once I've upgraded my characters a bit, so maybe that's cool.
Assuming you put some points into offense this does tend to go away. Also it really depends on which character you are using.

Quote:
3) I wish there was a visible icon representing my right-mouse-button skill, that was ghosted when I didn't have enough mana, and lit up when I did.
I'm not positive it is enough, but the mana bar does blink when you don't have enough mana to use your skill.

Quote:
5) Is there a way to remove one of my three skills, other than using it? I wrote that note while I had "Rage" sitting there, threatening to cause my health to drop if I used it. But, after using it, the hit seemed pretty minor (unnoticeable, even), so I guess it's no big deal.
You can't drop any of them, but you can change the order by using the up/down arrow keys.

Quote:
Finally, one thing that I thought would be a "dislike", but now I like: the lack of randomly generated levels. Now that I've played the game and I "get it", I'm all for the hand designed levels. The careful layout of the monsters, the hidden secrets, etc. Nicely done. It would be a very different (and less interesting) game if the levels were just random mazes.
Good. Personally I think random levels are awesome in some types of games (like DoP), but don't work as well in others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celes View Post
I did run into one show-stopping bug though. I finished the tutorial and started the first mission of finding the keep and part way though the first level I picked up a temporary skill point item. You get a little red square with a yellow cross flashing just above your toolbar. When I clicked on that to take me to the skill screen to assign the point my screen went black and crashed the game. The error message my computer gave me was:

display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver name was nulddmkm (not sure if that means anything).
That's strange, I have no problems going to that screen. Does anyone else get this crash?
Patreon
Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Amateur

Yes. I received that crash, but on the 3rd level of the first adventure. I was clearing my way through all the barrels when it happened.