Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
Any update on the expansion?

GB
It's coming along. It would be moving faster if I would stop bringing changes back into the main game though.
Patreon
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
It's coming along. It would be moving faster if I would stop bringing changes back into the main game though.
I'm just as happy that you are bringing changes back to the main game.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Elite

I'm just happy you're even working on an expansion
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Champion

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, but how about improving the "tiled" movement. It's one of the things that strikes me as not particularly professional about Din's Curse.

I don't propose re-writing the entire system or anything drastic; simply allow the player to move with a vector within each tile.
I've done this before in a 2D MMO I wrote over ten years ago (in visual basic, I'm sure you can imagine how far that went) but the results were quite spectacular for movement by doing this.

Diablo 2 had a slightly different idea, it simply uses much much smaller tiles (something you can't really do with 3D geometry quickly). Although they might be using some limited vector movement within tiles I don't think this is actually the case.

In multiplayer obviously you don't need to send these "micro-updates" of the player position, or for any other entities. It's about illusion of freedom and not fighting with the movement system so much.

Since you've done a perspective view (so far, it seems very superior to diablos implementation, or anything that comes to mind), I thought it might be time to look at upgrading this.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

I keep thinking of changing the tiled movement. Ultimately I would like to have more freedom of movement, however it does make a lot of things faster and helps our pathfinding to be pretty solid.
Patreon
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
I'm just happy you're even working on an expansion
Yeah same here. I'm looking forward to some new classes to mess with!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Amateur

Well, if you are working with an expansion, that makes this day a bit better! As a customer, I want to emphasize how much I like all roguelike aspects of Din, which really makes it different from diablo and similar clickfests.

I do have a suggestion, which has worked wonders for several other games in terms of creating meaningful interaction between players in multiplayer.
I would really appreciate it if I and my friends could help each other up once someone is struck unconscious. This would of course require that you also implement unconscioussness as a state you enter upon zero hitpoints, prior to death.
Left 4 Dead, Dawn of War 2, Operation flashpointR and Borderlands have all implemented this in different ways but with great effect. The game procedure created, which forces players to keep an eye on each other, is usually the element of great drama as you watch a "help-up" progress bar slowly fill, while the last party member is desperately trying to cover the back of the chap helping the unconscious one. It also helps in terms of creating a sense of doing things together, as opposed to those dungeons where each and everyone just runs off and it feels less coop and more like four single players doing their thing in the same dungeon.
Any feature which would demand more team play tactics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Expert

Thanks for this great gem of a game! Me and my aunt picked up this game and are playing together last few days on our lan (oh and thanks for giving us lan too!!). My aunt only likes these ARPG type games, and this is without a doubt the most enjoyable one we have played yet together, and I've played many, titan quest, torchlight, diablos, etc. how we just kind of find those game boring for some reason, not same sense of urgency, etc.

I really look forward to an expansion, even though I'm sure we will be playing the game as is for a while yet. I hope you guys continue to expand upon your idea's and this style of ARPG. Sure diablo 3 will probably be a very successful game, but it's not going to be the same, the whole idea of defending and saving towns and having all these random events, etc. while keeping the mass loot upgrading thrill intact makes is what appeals to me the most.

Idea: I would like to see more stuff you can do in future to a town. Right now you can get some quests to build an ice defense tower or regen shrine or something. It would be cool to see more things you can do and choose from in terms of upgrading town.

Say, you have tons of quests for killing monsters and stopping uprisings, etc. but also have lots of quests to choose from for building defenses, maybe quests that build the "prestige" or wealth of the town therefore bringing more merchants or common NPC's? do quests to build up my towns defense? hire a group of mercenary with my hard earned money to stand in town to chase enemies down? Or... should i go out and take out monsters before they get to town in first place like we pretty much do now and therefore hopefully lowering the strength of monsters or volume that attack town making it easier to defend in first place? This would make you choose to save town by building amazing defenses therefore making too difficult for monsters to overrun town and getting reputation each time of course you fend them off or go on the offensive and attack monsters and eliminate need for them to get get to town in first place. .

I'm sure it will get even more hectic the more me and my aunt place and i'm sure we will probably be making more choices as wether to get a bunch of the build defense quests or go kill uprisings, but i would like to see more stuff to upgrade to towns.

on a side note: have you guys ever thought of doing something like combining elements of a RTS with this style of ARPG.. where you start off with a small town, few npc's and few merchants, at first only week monsters attack and threaten town, you slowly build up defenses of town, build towns wealth, recruite guards, more merchants join due to increased wealth, etc. all while monsters get harder and harder. Also you get quests to build "buildings" like in an RTS that could say build a medic building for healing NPC's between defending town battles, barracks that can automatically keep a certain # of guards equipped and ready to go to defend towns, better walls or towers to defend. etc. And to get resources for building these buildings you would have to hire mercenary or NPC's to follow you into maps where you fight monsters get help getting all resources you need then come back to build that next structure. Kinda like a RTS, only it's APRG game at a same time. Perhaps this could be sort of a "survival" mode where you see how far you can go in terms of building up a town before monsters get too strong and eventually overrun, or maybe there could be random end-game goals that you try to reach, like a population of 100 people, or a town wealth goal, or minimal army or defense structures before you "win" this town and goto next kinda like we do now, only more town building oriented.

Well i don't know if much of that makes sense to you guys, getting a little excited here bout potential of a game like this. But hope you guys never give up!!! You have earned a loyal fan here.

Last edited by Zengrath : 08-07-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Legend

Welcome Zengrath,

There are currently two possible modes that we've been talking about for the expansion. 1 would be a dueling arena where you fight another player of any class to see who wins-this would be optional. The other mode is just what you said, a survival mode with the town and to see how long you can go, this is optional as well.

The classes are also up in the air as well, but shadow has centered on having a demon hunter. Though this isnt final.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Champion

-- Each class with their own unique look for both male and female which would equal 14 appearances in total (counting the new class). A hybrid character's look could depend on their first chosen specialty.

-- Greater size and shape variety of "special rooms" that could be generated in the dungeons below. Right now every special room is a square, having a bit more shapes and sizes would be a nice addition.

-- Options, Options, Options. I think opening up pandora's box and adding all the world generation modifiers possible would be a great improvement in allowing people to set up unique worlds. In order to balance out the game you might be able to come up with a exp -/+ system with each modifier that gets changed from default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengrath View Post

on a side note: have you guys ever thought of doing something like combining elements of a RTS with this style of ARPG.. where you start off with a small town, few npc's and few merchants, at first only week monsters attack and threaten town, you slowly build up defenses of town, build towns wealth, recruite guards, more merchants join due to increased wealth, etc. all while monsters get harder and harder. Also you get quests to build "buildings" like in an RTS that could say build a medic building for healing NPC's between defending town battles, barracks that can automatically keep a certain # of guards equipped and ready to go to defend towns, better walls or towers to defend. etc. And to get resources for building these buildings you would have to hire mercenary or NPC's to follow you into maps where you fight monsters get help getting all resources you need then come back to build that next structure. Kinda like a RTS, only it's APRG game at a same time. Perhaps this could be sort of a "survival" mode where you see how far you can go in terms of building up a town before monsters get too strong and eventually overrun, or maybe there could be random end-game goals that you try to reach, like a population of 100 people, or a town wealth goal, or minimal army or defense structures before you "win" this town and goto next kinda like we do now, only more town building oriented.

Well i don't know if much of that makes sense to you guys, getting a little excited here bout potential of a game like this. But hope you guys never give up!!! You have earned a loyal fan here.
I like the whole RTS / ARPG mixture and wouldn't mind the whole village defense aspect as long as it's part of the whole and not the entire game. I thought Hinterland gave it a good try although the combat and overall depth were lacking in the game. I think if Shadow ever decides to go down the route of giving each covenant their own town in DoP II it could lead to something like the above where each covenant builds up their town to fend off attacks from bands of wild monsters and hostile enemy covenants.