Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 AM
Expert

Default Staying Alive

I looked (glanced really) at the skills and noticed the healing skills were really lacking, which I normally applaud as healing often makes games too easy, but in this case I have trouble staying alive most of the time.

I saw very few healing skills, the Paladin has a meh regenerative ability, the Healer has some decent healing skills but I didn't see any HoTs so I'd really have to be paying attention, the Shaman has pretty much a mana/health potion that can be used once every 5 minutes. Other than that I think the Magician had a meh life steal ability.

Am I missing a standard method of healing or should I start stocking a lot of food for my dungeon runs?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Expert

While it is an excellent idea to keep some quality (i.e., level appropriate) potions and food handy at all times, it seems that the best strategy is to develop a character that has a high enough defense score (through dex, skills & equipment) and enough health regeneration (from equipment) that one does not get hit often enough to require constant quaffing and gorging. With the right build and equipment, one can keep them for emergencies. That said, it is also my experience that the higher one's level progresses, the more often one finds oneself in "emergency" situations.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 AM
Champion

Food and potions are definitely crucial when it comes to staying alive. Often times I find myself running back to Din's Altar when I'm running low on cash and am relatively close to a gate. I also try to make a mental note of lifestones and healthstones that I encounter in the dungeons.
If you are playing single player you can pause the game in the heat of the moment and consume food and potions before unpausing and running for sweet life. Staying alive can definitely be tough. Sometimes you just have to get creative. Vitality potions are a great way to gain some extra hit points for weaker characters, too. I almost always have a stash of vitality potions somewhere.

On a somewhat related note: Ice / fire bombs are awesome when you encounter clusters of monsters and fire / poison weapon enhancements (can't think of the actual names at the moment) make a huge difference for many of my characters when the going gets tough.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Expert

I've never really tried to use the fire/ice bombs, I might give that a shot now.

Yeah, I definitely plan to stock up on more food.

But health regeneration from items? The highest I've ever seen was a 1.1 helmet, and I have only ever seen 2 or 3, unless I'm just not getting the good stuff, that doesn't seem that viable, especially with health being in the hundreds.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Expert

There are definitely health regeneration items that regenerate at rates faster that +1.1/second. Generally speaking, the rate increases as you level up. But since the item drops are random, it might take some time to find one that has a decent rate that suits you. The purpose of these items is to heal you between battles.

I'd also strongly recommend that you look for weapons that steal life, adding a certain number of HP per kill or (even better) per hit. They can really help a lot, and can often compensate for any damage you receive. Typically, these weapons aren't the best that I find in terms of DPS output, so I usually keep a weapon with high DPS for bosses and tough mobs. But I'll keep a life steal weapon in my second slot, and switch to it to heal up when fighting weak monsters. With such a weapon, you can heal up just by fighting. This strategy enables me to keep my health up w/o using potions, food or even life/healthstones in most situations. The exception, of course, is when one is getting pounded in a really tough dungeon.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Expert

Okay, it'd be nice to find one that gives more than 1.1

I have found a few weapons that regenerate health/mana on hit/kill, especially a really nice 2-handed axe that heals 5.9 mana per hit! I haven't found one that heals enough life to be useful yet though.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Expert

My level 30 Demon Hunter recently found an axe that heals 13 health per hit. While it seems that item stats are largely random, I am certain that the maximum possible increases as you level up.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Expert

Wow, 13? That is impressive. I guess items are the big factor that allows your characters to break the limitations enforced by their skills.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker2k View Post
But health regeneration from items? The highest I've ever seen was a 1.1 helmet, and I have only ever seen 2 or 3, unless I'm just not getting the good stuff, that doesn't seem that viable, especially with health being in the hundreds.
HP regen from gear is too slow to be meaningful in a life-threatening situation, and one can't just stand around for a minute while safe to build HP back up. Time is of the essence. Even running back to Din's Altar is quicker than that.

HP regen gear stacks, but my top HP regen character gets all of 10 per second against nearly 700 HP.

HP regen is a healing bonus, not to be relied upon for primary healing.